Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only question I have that I can not answer myself is who moved the large stones some of 10 or 20 tons in their exact locations to form Nolan's Cross or the Tree of Life. How did they do that? And why did they do that. Obviously someone cut stones on the Island but for what purpose? Are they the stones that are in the swamp covering an entrance into a vast tunnel system? Someone help me out with these questions? I need answers?
Yep.. That is defiantly one of the mysteries I would like answers to as well...

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a saw mill there once. Also people would have to move logs to clear the property to build on. As well as that they have already found theses parts of logging poles on the island before.

J.Steele believes the island was used to make naval stores in her book This would of had heaps of logs/trees being moved about.

https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/sawmill.html

On a related point the map shows the sawmill seems to be where they found those rocks with the holes in them.

This would probably explain the rocks with the holes and spikes in them as well.

Where's the sawmill tokens? There would be a treasure. :goldbar:

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only question I have that I can not answer myself is who moved the large stones some of 10 or 20 tons in their exact locations to form Nolan's Cross or the Tree of Life. How did they do that? And why did they do that. Obviously someone cut stones on the Island but for what purpose? Are they the stones that are in the swamp covering an entrance into a vast tunnel system? Someone help me out with these questions? I need answers?

My guess is that Nolan put them there, He had surveyed the island in the early 60's for other searchers/land owners with no mention of a cross made .The cross wasnt made public until much later when he owned the lots the boulders are on ... He was also a searcher and seeking funding.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naw, he removed one with a bulldozer and found treasure under it. He did not place them perfectly on exact measurements with perfect alignments. Was Nolan a mastermason?

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
saved from screen capture

View attachment 1655980

It appears to be a piece of an older style gigging spear. There where probably 3 or more of those on the end of a pole and are used by divers or people wading in low water gigging for lobsters or eels. Could be another piece of homemade ingenuity from the islander that made the cross shaped sinkers.

Its very likely that someone that lives there now knows of the the resident that did all the fishing. This of course will not be shared.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It appears to be a piece of an older style gigging spear. There where probably 3 or more of those on the end of a pole and are used by divers or people wading in low water gigging for lobsters or eels. Could be another piece of homemade ingenuity from the islander that made the cross shaped sinkers.

Its very likely that someone that lives there now knows of the the resident that did all the fishing. This of course will not be shared.

Are you suggesting this is not a Templar Artifact? Drayton was pretty sure it was Templar. :laughing7:
Archie Laird doesn't have a good poker face so they try not to show him too much.
Was watching Digging Deeper last night as nothing else was on and I like when Marty asked "Well don't most Crossbolts have wooden shafts?"

I like gigging spear... sounds cool. If it was Templar and hundreds of years old, certianlly did good buried on a beach in salt water for HUNDREDS of years. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naw, he removed one with a bulldozer and found treasure under it. He did not place them perfectly on exact measurements with perfect alignments. Was Nolan a mastermason?

Maybe/ maybe not , but he was a surveyor

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be a piece of an older style gigging spear....
Yep

is certainly does look similar to the middle spike on this one (Found when google "old gigging spear canada" on image search.)

$_1.JPG

Closer match than any cross bow bolts on the internet..

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe/ maybe not , but he was a surveyor
Yep.. He was. He also raised money/partners for his treasure searches so it could not be ruled out that he moved some rocks to make the Cross... J.Steele believes in her book it was the Jesuit's who made the cross. Here theory is the naval store operation was owned and run by the Jesuits using slave labour. The cross was there as some type of religious ceremony/meeting place or some thing that they slaves were made to build...

darefulosit

Dec 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this young "expert" says the "crossbow bolt" is a Roman Pilum. I do not believe so. 2000 yrs old. Do not think so. More likely along the line of a 1/4" hotwire post fashioned into a gigging spear by some handy fellow within the last century. Kudos to the fellow. Not so sure about the rest of this gang.

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
Absolutely! Just went down and looked at my 9 foot antique frog gigger. My points are still sharp, but the center spike is the same 1/4 inch with barb on it. Keep in mind mine hasn't been rolling in stone surf for a couple of decades, and it's for frogs, not lobster, fish, eel, etc. I rolled my eyes so hard tonight at the Roman bit, that I think I dislodged something.
Yep

is certainly does look similar to the middle spike on this one (Found when google "old gigging spear canada" on image search.)

View attachment 1657613

Closer match than any cross bow bolts on the internet..

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a lot of trust in these shows people will fake finds anything for a buck and ratings

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First it was a Templar cross bolt, now a Roman spear. This keeps getting better and better.
Cant wait till they drain the cove they will find stuff from the Dinosaurs. Maybe T Rex dug the flood tunnels and hid some Pterodactyl eggs in the MP for a late night snack.
Not buying any of this but I do still watch for the entertainment factor.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, now they'll bring back Colonel Philyaw, whatever, and he'll produce a Roman digital watch set to 321BC and that will mean a side trip to Sicily to burn some air time.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although it sure must be fun and exciting to be able to dig there, i agree 100% it's all about ratings and $$$. That island has been dug up, turned upside down and inside out by hundreds of treasure hunters over the past couple hundred years maybe longer. They dig deep pits, find nothing, then bury all their trash in it and cover it up when they leave. Next tribe of diggers come in like Rick and Marty, find "voids" in the earth with ground penetrating radar , start boring holes everywhere and it's a big thing if they come up with some old wood { aka someones trash pit}. reminds me of DIGGERS where every piece of junk dug up must certainly have belonged to George Washington himself .

travis.gore.79

Sep 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is that Nolan put them there, He had surveyed the island in the early 60's for other searchers/land owners with no mention of a cross made .The cross wasnt made public until much later when he owned the lots the boulders are on ... He was also a searcher and seeking funding.

I don’t think so. He had no reason to think KT.

His theory was the British was the ones who hide the treasure. From the Havana raid.

stonebottles

Jul 15, 2015
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pre 1650 Jesuit harpoon points these where given to the indians by the jesuit priests here in ontario D5730CC2-D3CF-4723-9612-91FA61E27123.jpeg

stonebottles

Jul 15, 2015
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the Indians would break the one end off and use them as awls or make bracelets out of the longer ones

2A1E75F4-7C4C-4D80-B2AB-7579D7524B09.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread