Metal Detecting Dirty Tricks & Deeds Done Cheap - Your Favorite?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a certified dirty deed guy, and have been known to play practical jokes on my fellow metal detectors for a good laugh. Everything from putting a dime or brass BB in a buddy's coil cover, to recovering a "gold coin" in a buddy's hole after he replaced the plug and moved on. Am I the only one?

Attachments

• IMG_1330.jpg
    IMG_1330.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i buried a small pocket spill containing 5 silver dimes,some older jeffs,and buffs.And my cousin was trying my detector out when they uncovered it their look was priceless until i couldn't keep a straight face no more

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just like to throw the clad pennies that I dig out in front of my digging partner while he's not looking.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me no 'tho I do have a sense of humor ' the only time I did something like that was when I was 12 or 13 & got a $20 Radio Shaq "Cheap Detector, was was Po." I wanted to trade it to a friend for a Cool CO-2 BB Revolver & I threw out Quarters so he could easily find them & we did the deal.

Funny someone later broke into our Apt & stole only the BB Gun, I always believed they thought it was real (look through our mail-slot) ? But Now ???

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Around a decade ago I found a CW era camp in the woods. Hunted with my brother a few times then invited a couple cousins to hunt it with us. I had bought a few "Confederate Gold" coins at Silver Dollar City in Branson and planted them around the area before my cousins showed up. My cousin Dan found one and was so excited that he took off to show his family leaving the rest of us dying of laughter and not being able to tell him the truth because non of us had a cell phone on us at the time. He found out a few hours later and threatened me with death...LOL
A few weeks later we went to hunt it again. This time, Dan had planted a coin under a semi-fresh cow pile and asked me to come check his signal. I said it sounds good and he pretty much said "not digging it" because of the cow-pie. I scooted the pie to the side and checked the signal...different but still a good sound. A few inches down I found a tiny silver ring with a ruby in it!!!: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/111086-pre-post-civil-war-camp.html (ring pics second post)... Dan was so mad he actually reached into the pie to show me had planted the coin. Dan hates me...lol....:tongue3:

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On one occasion, i bought some chocolate coins..you know, the ones with the gold foil on them.

well, I ate the chocolate and very carefully wrapped up 5 2p coins so they looked like gold coins.

Buried them 12 inches apart on the beach about 6 inches deep where i know this guys goes detecting every single night without fail.

1% of the reason was for a joke 99% of the reason was because he is the grumpiest most ignorant BLEEP i've met...lol

Matt

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have a guy hunting one of my permissions and for a little fun I bury lawnmower hit coins (3or4) different ones in an old plastic RX container knowing he’ll be back soon. I also post a little note inside.:laughing7:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes its best to do it as a group affair~~

Some years ago I was with a group in Western Australia prospecting some open ground near an old mine. Myself and my mates had been with this group for some time and privately we'd noted a number of them with terrible cases of Gold Fever. There were three of us in this group initially, myself American, my partner also American and a newbie at the time and our Australian friend. People were finding bits all over and of course at the campfire those nights even the slightest hint of where one found the gold the "Sea Gulls" would flock the next day. Gold Fever is a terrible thing to behold.

Well there happened to be a dry creek running behind the camp and a couple of the Sea Gulls had detected it and found little. I gave it a try and got several bits out of thier boot marks. Privately one morning my friends and I had a discussion. My american partner had never detected a creek and wanted to do so and by agreement the Aussie and I let him have it. Well to say my partner could literally trip over gold is an understatement. Before the campfire that evening he pulled us aside and showed us a half dozen nuggets, good sized ones, that he'd gotten out of the creek. After carefull consideration we agreed that he would report a lot of work for no effort in the creek for the next 3 days and only show trash while the Aussie and I would collect a bit of trash ourselves. Oh we got some gold but it was fun collecting boot tacks, wire and shotgun pellets for a few days.

So at the campfire the Sea Gulls like to conduct their friendly interrogation. Mind you these are actually very good people and its quite fun to spar with them but a pain to find them on your patch the next morning. Well my partner reports his finds and shows a bit of "Cool" trash, buttons and what not, while receiving a bit of derision for his choice of prospect. Tongue in cheek we all smile and say tomorrow will be a better day.

Camp fire three we get together and set my partner up with some of his bigger stuff, and he scored great, to show off to the Sea Gulls. My partner felt pretty good that he'd cleaned out what he could so it was OK to drop the bomb. Oh it was exciting that night at the fire and the interrogation was intense. Such praise to make up for two nights of "you'll do better tomorrow".

So three mates got up extra early the next morning knowing that the Sea Gulls would not be about till after thier morning Cuppa. Up the creek we scooted planting all number of things, up the hill and met up to have a rest and wait with radio's on. While we waited outta the bushes popped up our fourth mate, not a Sea Gull, who caught wind we were up to no good. Still don't know how but he sniffed us out and we told him the gig. So the sun comes up, morning Cuppa is over, and the radio starts to chatter while four mates with big "The Cat Ate the Canary" grins listened to them thrash up the creek. Decrying junk target after target over the radio and occasionally out loud from a half K away.

Well discretion called for a hasty retreat and the Camp Fire that night was Wide Eyed Innocence on our part and a good laugh. See we had other things to do and a bit of gold to show for it ;)

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 90's when I was a White's dealer, I used to laminate my Business card along with a penny and bury them on the Beaches for advertisement.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the 90's when I was a White's dealer, I used to laminate my Business card along with a penny and bury them on the Beaches for advertisement.

that is a very funny there :laughing7:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about an old rusty metal box filled with washers once the lock is broke the heart is broke. would I do that??????

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not really a metal detecting trick but back in my college days I was down by the river and stumbled onto a tackle box that was half full of real looking play money.....most likely some little kids stash? For a few seconds I'd thought I'd found some holdup loot or drug money. Thought I'd hit the lottery!!!! So I now had all this play money and had months of fun dropping paper around town on sidewalks and watching folks pick it up then the expression once they figured it out. I'd also leave big tips in restaraunts. Once I put a bunch in a small bag and left it on the sidewalk for a passerby. The real funny part (in retrospect) is when I got held at gunpoint, ruffed up by cops (they kicked me and cracked my rib), thrown in the squad car, taken to 3 Quickie Stops where the cashiers ID'ed me as NOT the robber (thank god). Right before the cops released me they handed me back my wallet but opened it up first for a peek. The cop sees all this play money and with a dirty look he asks "what's with all this play money?" I says "because I ain't got no real money"...…..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread