Dirty Deeds! Worst Trick You Played on Detecting Partner

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 8

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the old days, we used to put a brass BB, or a dime, inside the coil cover of the new "greenhorn." Then of course planting the once in a lifetime "Gold" coin.

View attachment 2022365 View attachment 2022366 View attachment 2022367
Several years back I had cleaned my coins for the year and had about two hundred rotted zinc pennies separated from the good coins. I put them in a cool whip container and took them to my favorite park. I buried them under a pine tree and all but forgot about them. Last year a fellow came up to me at this same park and told me about finding a hoard of coins. He told me they were scattered in a 10 foot by 10 foot area. I did not have the heart to tell him the truth. I have another container ready to "plant" and have several spots in mind where I have seen recent digging activity.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully we are back to the OP’s intended use of this thread!
Several years ago I was given what we thought was a cannonball by my brother in law when I went back to Kentucky on vacation. I immediately took a pic holding it and sent to my old hunting partner and said “ Well, you told me to get out and detect on this trip!”. It wasn’t long before he started texting everyone we knew here on the forum and showing the pic. I had to put the brakes on that one quickly because I knew it would be posted/shown here on the forum soon! Kind of backfired on me😂

Turns out the “ cannonball “ was a ball used by cement trucks to break up old dried cement and clean the barrels of their trucks😒

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never did any of that. I did send a rubber snake to my dentist cousin to help with office morale the other day. There was a live one in the shed. Does that count?

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
I got 2 stories in this vein.
Was out with this guy looking for gold at a place he took me. I found a few sub gram bits and would yell out "hey mate got a bit" each time.
Suddenly he yells out whooping and yahooing "i got a beauty, its a beauty, look at this ripper nugget" he says holding it up. As im walking towards him to check it out im all "oh good stuff mate, awesome!"
Just as im about there I see his mood change and hear swearing.
I ask whats wrong, he says "I put this *"##@! thing here two years ago, I forgot about the bleep bleep thing!"
😅😅😅 He'd made a fake nugget that looked like a 5 oz bit out of lead and painted it gold. 😅 To make it worse on one side he had scratched the word SUCKER! 😅
And this...
Im at a reef years ago when fit and I had walked into the place. I had a back pack with water, some food and a hammer in case of species that needed reducing in size to carry out.
I got a big signal from a lump of rough quartz about the size of a basketball, heavy. Im thinking "oh yeah" so go for my rock hammer, but id left it in the car. Just great, a heavy jagged quartz lump I gotta carry out.
Into the back pack it goes. I get back to the car and by now its torn a few holes in the pack, no biggy, should be plenty in this im thinking.
I take it home and out back with a bigger hammer hit into it.
Soon it splits, then im greeted with the sight of a lump of lead jammed into a crack that was there when I found it. Im fuming!
Then the penny drops.
In that area two guys were detecting months earlier and working the line of reef. South to North. They though were leaving behind fake finds for those coming after them. I knew who they were.
So id decided to repay their jokes by placing a big bit of lead hammered into a crevice of a big bit if quartz with a screw driver and hammer on the next reef on the line up from them. They obviously didn't detect it.
Ages later I did 😕 and forgot id done it. 😖
Lesson learnt. 😆

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a long time electrician, should I be ashamed of having my green helpers go fetch the wire stretcher or the fluorescent tube bender......you gotta have some fun in life.
But did you hand him a U bent tube & tell him never mind I bent it without the tool?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really do not believe Terry and friends would have planted a BB or a dime in a new guy's coil and just walk away, never telling him, get a grip, it was I am sure a "spur of the moment" thing for everyone's amusement at that very place and time. To be shared with the "new guy" himself as part of a group of friends. Has been done throughout history in many ways. But you know, perhaps you SHOULD report it to the cancel culture or a "woke" person nearest to you.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really do not believe Terry and friends would have planted a BB or a dime in a new guy's coil and just walk away, never telling him, get a grip, it was I am sure a "spur of the moment" thing for everyone's amusement at that very place and time. To be shared with the "new guy" himself as part of a group of friends. Has been done throughout history in many ways. But you know, perhaps you SHOULD report it to the cancel culture or a "woke" person nearest to you.
Back in the day you'd bury junk in the hole after recovering a cache or relics. It wasn't a joke or anything, it was a courtesy so the next guy that came along only dug a foot or so before he realized someone had already gotten it. I used to dye old skivy drawers blue to mark my holes. So if any of you young uns find blue skivies in the hole I beat you to it years ago.......

When we wanted to be mean, we'd bury lead wool. Looks like steel will but lead little 1x1" squares. They would really mess up the old Yrs before good discrimination. BFOs? Forget that area for years.
Another joke on the newbs was when doing building searches take a sailmakers needle and make angled down holes in walls and insert pieces of electronic solder hanging down. Sitting back watching the newbie trying to figure out how to get the coin purse size object out without trashing the whole wall. We were all good friends & got disappointed if no pranks were played.

I think that's the problem today. People take things too seriously and forget to just have fun.

Last edited:

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
BFO's (DIY), Tesoro Silver, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to hunt with a guy that run around me like a dog... seriously he run in circle around me to hit things in my direction and sometimes when i saw he dig i ask: what do you find and he never answers...

so one day...

I trow chaff (like an aircraft) and when he say "this place is too dirty" I reply that I'm not detecting nothing at all.

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have brought some rings found in earlier hunts and wait for a chance to work an area my sister and brother in law had just "cleaned out" and while they could see me, I would "recover" some rings they had missed. I got them more than once doing this and it drove them crazy.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
never pranked a fellow detectorist. It has been my observation in life that pranks can backfire in unexpected ways.
Thank you for your Service Brother! Army 1973-1976 Field Artillery

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions