METAL DETECTING HOBBISTS DAMAGING THE ENVIRONMENT!!

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
Delaware State Journal:
Sarah Kuchinisch, Science Reporter

A preliminary report from a 5 year study, funded by the U.S. Dept of Agriculture, indicates there is a strong deleterious effect on earthworms, especially the variety known by the scientific name Genus Aporrectodea turgid, by the use of hobby metal detectors. According to Dr. Pohmben Keemau, a Nobel Prize-winning biologist from the Delaware University Biology Department, the radiation emitted by detectors causes serious reproduction problems in immature worms. "The radiation of frequencies transmitted by metal detectors between 1.5 kilohertz and 100 kilohertz severely damages internal organs of immature worms, specifically the Tumescence Genitale organs," Kemau said. "Because of this the worm becomes sterile when mature. It is similar to the effect of high powered sonars, used by the Navy, on whales". Kemau also said the problem was widespread. "Thousands and thousands of acres searched by metal detectorists are effectively sterilizing untold millions of earthworms. It's a serious issue. It is a fact that earthworms revitalize soil, and soil without the work done by earthworms stresses the growth of flora," he said. Doctor Keemau went on to say the University was expanding the study to determine the effect of hobby metal detectors on our ocean's coast lines. "We suspect that the metal detectors are interfering with sand fleas, Genus Menticirrhus. Menticirrhus is a key link in the shore-line food chain effecting both the fish and shore bird populations which rely on them for food," he said. New Jersey and Delaware are already considering banning most metal detecting in their respective states. Upon completion of the study a report will be sent to Congress for national legislative action if they deem it necessary.

GDub62

Feb 2, 2022
Georgia
Delaware State Journal:

A preliminary report from a 5 year study, funded by the U.S. Dept of Agriculture, indicates there is a strong deleterious effect on earthworms, especially the variety known by the scientific name Genus Aporrectodea turgid, by the use of hobby metal detectors. According to Dr. Pohmben Keemau, a Nobel Prize-winning biologist from the Delaware University Biology Department, the radiation emitted by detectors causes serious reproduction problems in immature worms. "The radiation of frequencies transmitted by metal detectors between 1.5 kilohertz and 100 kilohertz severely damages internal organs of immature worms, specifically the Tumescence Genitale organs," Kemau said. "Because of this the worm becomes sterile when mature. It is similar to the effect of high powered sonars, used by the Navy, on whales". Kemau also said the problem was widespread. "Thousands and thousands of acres searched by metal detectorists are effectively sterilizing untold millions of earthworms. It's a serious issue. It is a fact that earthworms revitalize soil, and soil without the work done by earthworms stresses the growth of flora," he said. Doctor Keemau went on to say the University was expanding the study to determine the effect of hobby metal detectors on our ocean's coast lines. "We suspect that the metal detectors are interfering with sand fleas, Genus Menticirrhus. Menticirrhus is a key link in the shore-line food chain effecting both the fish and shore bird populations which rely on them for food," he said. New Jersey and Delaware are already considering banning most metal detecting in their respective states. Upon completion of the study a report will be sent to Congress for national legislative action if they deem it necessary.
Ridiculous

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
Delaware State Journal:

Let’s wait unit final conclusion, but as far as today sound simple ridiculous 🤷🏽‍♂️

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
T
April fool's joke?
This goes back to 2008

TDogger

Jan 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Freedom III, Garrett ADS Groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes it sound credible is our familiarity with many of the claims from environmentalists.

They probably got the information from earthworms.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just saw the thread title

METAL DETECTING HOBBISTS DAMAGING THE ENVIRONMENT!!​

And I was trying to decide which way the typo went. Either it was missing a letter, or it had one too many. Was it:

METAL DETECTING HOBBYISTS DAMAGING THE ENVIRONMENT!!​

or

METAL DETECTING HOBBITS DAMAGING THE ENVIRONMENT!!​

:dontknow:

OP
OP
Yeasty

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
What makes it sound credible is our familiarity with many of the claims from environmentalists.

They probably got the information from earthworms.
Google is a wonderful resource for earthworm information.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just saw the thread title

METAL DETECTING HOBBISTS DAMAGING THE ENVIRONMENT!!​

And I was trying to decide which way the typo went. Either it was missing a letter, or it had one too many. Was it:

METAL DETECTING HOBBYISTS DAMAGING THE ENVIRONMENT!!​

or

METAL DETECTING HOBBITS DAMAGING THE ENVIRONMENT!!​

:dontknow:
Damn Hobbits! They never liked earthworms. 🤬

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sad part of this post is we are living in crazy-minded times. There are some out there who very well may TRULY believe this sort of garbage. Oh, or better yet they would come up with a "detecting luxury tax" to cover the "restoration of earthworm habitat". Yeah, that is more like how it would go down.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had me in the beginning, thank you to pepperj for saving my sanity soon afterward. The saddest thing is, I never even thought of the "April Fool's" angle of it, BECAUSE of all the stuff in the news todays, I mean you just can't even make most of it up. So my first thought was, "Are you serious?, NOW what. Now where do we go with this c---. OK, April Fools, got me, I will now sign out for the evening, I was traumatized, and then restored. Thats a lot for a senior in the span of 5 minutes. Going to my safe space with my two little dogs. Names being, R.D. (for Rescue dog) sounds like Artie, & O.D. (for Other dog) sound like O'dee. I kept it simple.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going to my safe space with my two little dogs. Names being, R.D. (for Rescue dog) sounds like Artie, & O.D. (for Other dog) sound like O'dee. I kept it simple.
Hey... As long as they know who you're yelling at! 😉

We were going to name ours Doofus and Goofus, but thought they sounded a little too much alike. Even so, it's incredibly hard to figure out which one you need to yell at, and put the right name with it before the teachable moment is gone forever... 🤪

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Delaware State Journal:

APRIL FOOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread