Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES ! to State Parks.

Just ask for a Permit. permit requirements shall be for the use of metal detectors in the search for modern coins, jewelry, etc. on all designated swimming beaches operated by the Maryland Park Service,
with the exception of Point Lookout State Park and Calvert Cliffs State Park, and all adjacent waters controlled by the Service.

We have been to M.A.R.S. hunts at Sandy Point State Park
M.A.R.S. 2018 Open Hunt Silver Frenzy V

Maryland State Regulations

Is Metal Detecting allowed in Maryland State Parks? YES, with permission of Park Manager. there could be time restrictions. Check their website or ask Park Manager.

II. Policy
A. Digging in search of buried relics or treasures, the removal of any prehistoric or historic artifacts, and the use of metal detectors (except as noted in D, below) within the boundaries of lands, beaches, or under waters controlled by the Maryland Park Service is strictly prohibited without a permit from the Office of Archeology, Maryland Historical Trust, Department of Planning.
If you find Something Historical. Take a picture & rebury it so it can Rot Away,
so the archies don't cry & wet themselves.
coffee2.gif

D. The only exception to the aforementioned permit requirements shall be for the use of metal detectors in the search for modern coins, jewelry, etc. on all designated swimming beaches operated by the Maryland Park Service, with the exception of Point Lookout State Park and Calvert Cliffs State Park, and all adjacent waters controlled by the Service.

Maryland State Regulations

http://www.fmdac.org/maryland-state-regulations.html

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realized that after posting.:tongue3:

My Coffee Finally Kicked in.:coffee2:

But I figured I'd let the Info

Bumbalawski

Mar 2, 2015
Beans Cove Pa.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We do a lot of cave work in Maryland state forest and properties. We have been allowed to dig caves open in state forest, only if we are sure there is a cave there. We have a 100% record on cave finds in state digs. As for state parks, we can not dig, so far. But we do "gently massage" cave openings to get in. I am familiar with Savage River. The area around Crabtree Cave, about 50 acres, is sacred ground (in their minds) since it is owned by the Nature Conservancy. They actually have cameras up there. If a ranger catches on you state forest property with a metal detector, it might not be good. Are you looking up around the old Silver Bell mine?

silvermining3.jpg

OP
OP
madmantrapper

madmantrapper

Sep 1, 2018
Carroll County, Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know where any of the old mines are. I just come across where old homes were in the woods while deer hunting and would like to check them out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions