Cyberdeus

Dec 29, 2019
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there folks,

I hope this is the right section of the forum to ask.

So I am about to travel to UK & Walles and will stay there for about 3 months. I am bringing with me my metal detector gear so I would like to know a bit about the rules of metal detecting in UK & Walles.

1. There is a huge park next to my cousin's house, and I will like to go there for night hunting. Is it allowed in general to hunt with metal detecting in public parks without permission?
2. Do I need to get a permission for the local government first before hunting?

I did some reading online about the rules of metal detecting in Uk, however I did not find anything about search in public places.

Can someone local to those areas advise me please so that I can prepare myself before my voyage. Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Upvote 0

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there folks,

I hope this is the right section of the forum to ask.

So I am about to travel to UK & Walles and will stay there for about 3 months. I am bringing with me my metal detector gear so I would like to know a bit about the rules of metal detecting in UK & Walles.

1. There is a huge park next to my cousin's house, and I will like to go there for night hunting. Is it allowed in general to hunt with metal detecting in public parks without permission?
2. Do I need to get a permission for the local government first before hunting?

I did some reading online about the rules of metal detecting in Uk, however I did not find anything about search in public places.

Can someone local to those areas advise me please so that I can prepare myself before my voyage. Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Hi there, in answer to your questions, you will find official rules and regulations much depends on the area you intend detecting. The only real way of finding out is to go on each county council's website and see if there is anything concerning metal detecting. I'm not surprised you couldn't find anything about detecting public parks, it seems most local authorities are not bothered, as long as you don't leave a mess and fill all your holes in. I called my local council and even they didn't know what the rules were. Regarding the park next to your cousins house if it were me I would detect, especially if it's a night hunt. Unless a public park has specific signs saying metal detecting is not allowed I would go ahead and detect. For instance, where I live none of the parks have any signs mentioning metal detecting. I'm in England so i'm not entirely sure about Wales but I would imagine it's pretty much the same there. I have detected some parks during daytimes and have never had any problems. Obviously make sure it is public land and not private other than that I would say go ahead and enjoy yourself.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread