Metal Detecting Jeep

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
I guess this will get moved but.. my metal detecting Jeep ( my third!!) had a catastrophic brake failure this weekend!! The hardline ruptured and there was a complete loss of braking power!!! My wife had been running errands in it, with both my MonkeyBoy Jrs were in the car, she pulled in the driveway and I went up about 3 minutes later to go digging and the brakes were out... you could hear it spraying out every time I hit the pedal!!! Talk about some scary stuff!! I had the lines all replaced and the whole system checked. I wore my first Jeep out at 140K, bent the rear axle on the 2nd... and this happened to the third at 80K... While in the shop I upgrade the suspension to Moog parts.. I guess it's time to invest in some skid plates!! or a humvee!!! ;-) Maybe it's time to write up a "pre digging" checklist!! To make this "timely".. I did dig a funky copper.. you can make out Britannia on the front but it is oblong with a smooth back... I'll post a pic soon... be careful out there people.... snakes and ticks are not the only dangers in the hobby it would seem!!!

MB

dpitt8 said:
at least everyone is safe

Thank God!! all new brake lines installed... and whole new front suspension while it was in the shop!! Good to go!

MonkeyBoy. I just replaced the Front calipers, lines and disks on my 2001 Cherokee sport 4x4 the other day. The back drums are squeaking like crazy. I gotta do those next. Yeah the Jeeps brakes are a common problem. Not to mention the less than 250 miles per tank of gas the 4.0 gets. It pulls in the mud though. :headbang:

zaxfire69 said:
MonkeyBoy. I just replaced the Front calipers, lines and disks on my 2001 Cherokee sport 4x4 the other day. The back drums are squeaking like crazy. I gotta do those next. Yeah the Jeeps brakes are a common problem. Not to mention the less than 250 miles per tank of gas the 4.0 gets. It pulls in the mud though. :headbang:

I hear you!! This is my metal detecting Jeep.. that is it's primary purpose in life!! I put it through hell too!! ;-) I usually try to find a late model that already has a little body damage.. that way I don't care the first time I bounce off a tree driving through the woods!! This one met a tree the second time I took it out!! ;-) Minor little dents.... so it was broken in fast!! as long as the engine, transmission and suspension are good... that's all I care about!!! I figure this one is good for 3 more years then on to my forth!! ;-)

MB

Lurk lurk lurk....saw you were talking JEEPS...had to lurk! We love Jeeps nothing better to get you there- who needs roads?
I think newer cars have a dual system so you may not lose all your braking power thank God but still is a pain in the butt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back