🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Metal detecting next to Montana Indian wars era fort- need help ID'ing item

jagdpolizei

Nov 26, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello-yesterday friends and I searched near a Montana Indian Wars era fort (ca; 1867 to late 1800's) and dug numerous 45-70 and 50-70 ctg casings, IW tunic buttons, and buckles from Kepi and other military gear. The specific spot we are searching is away from the fort and certainly an encampment of either military or Native American presence. This item in question is a 5" dia copper/brass hoop with rivets about the circumference and a folded lip about one of the ends as if to create a clean edge where leather, fabric, or other copper sheeting was fitted. Any ideas what it might have been part of??? Thanks much

Attachments

• IMG-7808.jpg
    IMG-7808.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG-7809.jpg
    IMG-7809.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG-7810.jpg
    IMG-7810.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG-7811.jpg
    IMG-7811.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
  • r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the top band to a small wooden keg, perhaps from a wooden barrel canteen.
I think Creskol is on the right track with all those pins sticking out to maybe attach strips of metal to hold it together ?

Upvote 2
OP
OP
J

jagdpolizei

Nov 26, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think Creskol is on the right track with all those pins sticking out to maybe attach strips of metal to hold it together ?
I agree----thanks very much for help- it is much appreciated

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread