Montana Indian Wars era copper/ brass items-help ID'ing please????

jagdpolizei

Nov 26, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, had a fun few hours on the plains.....I hope I could get some help/clarity on a few of Saturdays finds......I really do try to research as much as possible, but I am at the point where I cannot find any similar examples of what I found.

My main question is per the items on the bottom right in the display. The copper strip narrows from one end to the other and has a notch at the beginning of the thick end running 1/4" lengthwise. This strip was not cut this way (by individual user-crisp edges)and way clearly formed this way....any ideas or thoughts, or is it maybe trade copper strip for the Native Americans of the period???

Also, I realize the buckle piece (brass or copper) is a suspender clasp but I cannot find a similar example after hours of looking.

The piece next to it (vase shape) looks familiar (made of brass) and has a fold over at the bottom and is broken where it narrows at top. only one hole. What is it?
Finally, a silver segment (next to button) is flattened but has repeating intricate design and is broken from a larger segment. The line etched top folds over to create a smooth upper edge.

Sorry I did not include measurement, but for reference the 45-70 complete cases are 2.10" and the 50-70 are 1.75" if that helps.

Thanks very much for any help.[

items with measurement.jpg August 26 digs near Fort Shaw2.jpg August 26 digs near Fort Shaw3.jpg

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok well it looks really good to me. I'm guessing you know enough about Native American history to come to the same conclusion as me about finding trade silver, a few hair tubes, along side an eagle button and some 45/70 shell casings. Possible Army and NA skirmish site?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jagdpolizei

Nov 26, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm still learning the history of what constituted trade items vs. me making up a theme in my head, which is easy to do in these matters. I'm very interested in your observations....would trade silver have been cut from silver items/jewelry and prepared by white traders for piecemeal trading? also, are you thinking the tubular copper item was affixed to hair? if you have any photo/painted examples of this, I would be most interested. any feeling about the brass fixture between the button and suspended clasp? thanks much for your time
Ok well it looks really good to me. I'm guessing you know enough about Native American history to come to the same conclusion as me about finding trade silver, a few hair tubes, along side an eagle button and some 45/70 shell casings. Possible Army and NA skirmish site?

Upvote 0

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I couldn't find any pics online but the rolled brass tubes were used as hair ornaments, some may say they are a form of tinkler. The person that told me is much more knowledgeable on trade items than I. Silver trade items that were made by the Europeans were often more intricate and other less intricate sheets or larger items were cut up to make smaller items or different shapes to suit. The piece next to the eagle button appears to be a piece of trade silver. There are a lot of people on here much more knowledgeable than me on this topic especially on trade silver. Hopefully one of them chimes in. I know only that silver trade items were not the earliest items traded with the Native Americans and copper and brass was what they were traded, they became wise to that. Hopefully you have come across a skirmish site or village site.

Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your piece in question is the second to bottom row, second to right I'm thinking, It almost looks like a weird ring pull. It's a real question maker, brass you say?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jagdpolizei

Nov 26, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The item I'm trying to ID would be second row from bottom and second item in from the right side....between the button and suspender catch.....'vase' shaped
your piece in question is the second to bottom row, second to right I'm thinking, It almost looks like a weird ring pull. It's a real question maker, brass you say?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread