Metal detecting.. Palm Beach County Florida

n4cqd

Greenie
Jan 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know if metal detecting in Palm Beach County Florida parks is permitted? I have spent an hour on the phone with numerous officials in the Palm Beach County Park system and no one seems to know the answer. I don't want to get in trouble, and I do not want to present a negative image of metal detectorists. Thanks.

Upvote 1

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know if metal detecting in Palm Beach County Florida parks is permitted? I have spent an hour on the phone with numerous officials in the Palm Beach County Park system and no one seems to know the answer. I don't want to get in trouble, and I do not want to present a negative image of metal detectorists. Thanks.
Ask Treasure_Hunter. He likely knows or can help. Nice guy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I metal detect on your county parks and the waters surrounding?
Per the Palm Beach County Ordinance below, metal detecting is not allowed in County parks.

Sec. 21-20 – Buildings and other property.

(a)
No person shall willfully mark, deface, injure in any way, displace, remove or tamper with any park buildings, bridges, tables, benches, fireplaces, railings, paving, water lines or other public utilities or parts of appurtenances thereof, park signs, notices or placards whether temporary or permanent, monuments, stakes, posts or other boundary markers, or other structures of equipment, facilities or park property or appurtenances whatsoever, either real or personal.

(b)
No person shall dig, move or remove from any park area any beach sand, soil, rocks, stones, trees, shrubs, whether submerged or not, or plants, down-timber, or other wood or materials, or make any excavation by tool, equipment, or other means, or construct or erect any building or structure of whatever kind, whether permanent or temporary in character, or run or string any public service utility into, upon, or across such land, or affix any materials to any park property, except with the prior written approval of the director.

(c)
No person shall excavate or remove any artifact from any archeologically sensitive areas with particular concern to Native American burial grounds and living sites.

(Ord. No. 04-022, § 5, 8-17-04)

However, while metal detecting is not allowed on the park or beach itself, metal detecting in the water is out of our jurisdiction.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you can't even walk through the park since you risk having sand, dirt, or rocks stick to your shoes. What's the use of having a park if you can't go there to enjoy yourself?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida has about 650 miles of beaches, only about 35-40 miles are restricted. People can still go to the beaches, along the treasure coast you can legally hunt between the toe of the dunes and the low tide line with no problems. The Palm beach local ordinances restrict people from detecting in the local parks and on the beach because people were digging holes and not covering them up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread