Metal detecting...why...

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I think that there is a subliminal behavior within those of us who metal detect, whether we realize it or not. That behavior in my opinion is either possession or hoarding. Think about it. When was the last time you threw back a good find? Never. Unless it's an easily returnable item and you're willing to return it, you keep it. You accumulate it. So much so, we even keep track of how much we have. Why are you keeping 50 silver coins in your house or jars full of clad? Because we are hoarding them. The possession phase kicks in when you find something you want to be the owner of. These things you usually do not count in numbers, but rather take pride in having possession of, say a US buckle, etc. Nothing we hunt is worth nothing, all of it is either rare or worth at least face value. If it were any different, we could all be mushroom hunters. The third element to the equation is a freebie. We all love to get a deal, and what deal is better than free? A true free lunch deal, we can pretty much find whatever we are looking for and it comes to us for free literally. After that detector is paid off, you are pretty much going out finding more than what it's costing you to find it. I'm sure it doesn't work that way all the time, for me it does because transportation around here costs me zero dollars. To the original question by Gregg as it relates to me.........I am in it 60% for the interest and fascination with older coins, particularly silver, and the other 40% because I like to go out there and bring in a nice clad haul. My plans with the ACCUMULATION of CLAD? Turn it into gold at the end of the year by getting a few small gold bars. That's what I will do every year. If you can't get the gold one way, then get it in another, and that is my way. My clad hauls will be represented by little gold bars. Because I'd like to see as big a gold bar or as many as I can reasonably buy with a year end clad haul, say a couple of 10 gram bars........that alone motivates me to go out there and punch the ground for more coins, maybe I can squeeze in an extra 5 gram'r in there! Gregg, you'd be on your way to an ounce bar buddy!

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
artemis moon said:
I like to hunt because it's a great stress reliever and a way to get out of the house and get some fresh air and exercise. There's always the possibility of finding something interesting or valuable that keeps me hooked.

For me, a dream find would be a really cool relic. I love the idea of finding a piece of history. In this country, something from the Colonial era or the Civil War era would be great.

A couple of weeks ago, I dug what I took to be a piece of trash that I threw in the trunk of my car and subsequently lost. I found out from looking at someone else's post after the fact that it was a CW bridle rosette. Leave it to me to find something that was really something to talk about and lose it.

Man...I am clueless...if I dont know what it is I usually trash it too!

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
ScrewcapRoy said:
I grew up by the ocean as a poor boy. Dad took off and mom raised the five of us. I was good at finding things on the beach or on the playground and regular ground. I always had the treasure bug in me but couldn't afford a detector. I started MDing this June and each time I am out just finding something is great. My clad is adding up and that is nice and eventhough I haven't found any significant jewlery, which I hope to some day, I still get the thrill of the hunt. I do look forward to finding some old coin or relics. I would like to find a valuable ring to say "see honey there really is gold etc out there". She thinks I went off the deep end but did tell me to get out and detect tonight. I guess she is accepting my new hobby. The exercise I get and the friendships of meeting other MDers is more valuable than the finds. My ultimate find would probably be a hidden cache of a large amount of money, gold, or silver or possibly that old artifact that is priceless. The best though is waking up each day and being healthy enough to detect.

HH all Roy

Wow...another great post...glad to see there are a lot of people on here that really have a great perpective on life... :)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Ricardo_NY1 said:
I think that there is a subliminal behavior within those of us who metal detect, whether we realize it or not. That behavior in my opinion is either possession or hoarding. Think about it. When was the last time you threw back a good find? Never. Unless it's an easily returnable item and you're willing to return it, you keep it. You accumulate it. So much so, we even keep track of how much we have. Why are you keeping 50 silver coins in your house or jars full of clad? Because we are hoarding them. The possession phase kicks in when you find something you want to be the owner of. These things you usually do not count in numbers, but rather take pride in having possession of, say a US buckle, etc. Nothing we hunt is worth nothing, all of it is either rare or worth at least face value. If it were any different, we could all be mushroom hunters. The third element to the equation is a freebie. We all love to get a deal, and what deal is better than free? A true free lunch deal, we can pretty much find whatever we are looking for and it comes to us for free literally. After that detector is paid off, you are pretty much going out finding more than what it's costing you to find it. I'm sure it doesn't work that way all the time, for me it does because transportation around here costs me zero dollars. To the original question by Gregg as it relates to me.........I am in it 60% for the interest and fascination with older coins, particularly silver, and the other 40% because I like to go out there and bring in a nice clad haul. My plans with the ACCUMULATION of CLAD? Turn it into gold at the end of the year by getting a few small gold bars. That's what I will do every year. If you can't get the gold one way, then get it in another, and that is my way. My clad hauls will be represented by little gold bars. Because I'd like to see as big a gold bar or as many as I can reasonably buy with a year end clad haul, say a couple of 10 gram bars........that alone motivates me to go out there and punch the ground for more coins, maybe I can squeeze in an extra 5 gram'r in there! Gregg, you'd be on your way to an ounce bar buddy!

Thanks Ricardo...you are one of the best when it comes to common sense on this forum buddy...but...you stated 50 silver coins in a jar..right? Well in my case it is only 8! :D :D :D Good idea investing in gold....

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
DFX-Gregg said:
...you stated 50 silver coins in a jar..right? Well in my case it is only 8! :D :D :D Good idea investing in gold....

Gregg, that was an optimistic I hope everyone here gets number.........My silver count is 20 coins this year. Personally, I love gold, and since I'm not in a place where I can pan or find it as nuggets, etc, then I will turn my clad into gold.......not magically :) I figure at least two 5 gram bars could be possible at the end of the year if I hustle.....I went overboard saying two 10 gram bars.......wtf was I thinking. That's over $400. I don't have 1/2 of that in clad right now. I'm suiting up for two serious clad hunts on the 22nd and 23rd Gregg! You know when I talk about a clad hunt.......it's a clad hunt! :)

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
I really don't care to find clad or jewlery. I am in it for the history. When I dug my first indian,(1875) I could not stop thinking of what that bought, who had it and who lost it. My thoughts went crazy when I found my first colonial,(1787 Jersey). I have never sold anything I have found but I do cash in my clad. Got to buy batteries! If I found a coin worth $1000's, of course I would sell it. But, I am content with looking through my collection and other people like to also. I am a history nut and can't wait to find my first seated or chain or flowing hair.

KINGPULLTAB

May 8, 2007
VALRICO FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 1000-QUATTRO-SE X-TERRA 70-ACE 250
I just love the thrill of the hunt. And when I hold a fresh find in my hand I cant help but wonder who lost it and when. I travel a lot and when I look through my collection each and every piece brings back a tale to be told and a memory that puts a smile on my face.
DFX-gregg thanks for the great topic.

HAPPY HUNTING TO ALL ---JIM IN SUNNY FLORIDA AKA KINGPULLTAB

EBCIII

Jul 24, 2007
Well being very new to the hobby my why is right now to learn my machine. I figure if I keep going out and using it I will get better at it I hope. I have yet to find any silver or jewelry. So far my best find to me was a token. It is from my town and was for the busses. They stopped running 50 years ago. I found it in my wifes grandmothers yard. I got very excited when I learned what it was.

I am looking foward to my first silver, or gold. Relics would be cool to. I just enjoy this hobby very much, Beale.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm fortunate enough to live in an area full of CW history but that doesn't mean I'll find nothing but bullet's and buckle's.I hit the tot-lot's too!...I love the fact that if I didn't dig it up it would be gone forever maybe....You never know what the next piece will be...We are a different breed of people,I've hunted with at least a dozen people on here and we all have the same drive and desire to find the good stuff,no matter what.Kinda glad everyone's not in this great hobby....

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I go out for the enjoyment of just detecting. In the air, outside getting some much needed excercise. I usually go out to park areas to try and find some older coins but end up with more clad than older coins :P Which is fine because I am just out enjoying metal detecting.

I have kept most of the older silver coins,older nickels and pennies, that I have found over the years. This year, so far,I have saved all the clad coins I have dug up.

I like the older parks where there still is silver being found, and if I need just to get out to get away from everything else, I hit the playground areas, for some quick clad coins. Last part of July,I hit a totlot and it was a newer park, less than 7 years old. Found a silver quarter in the woodchips!!!!!Shocked the heck out of me, when I saw silver from the woodchips in a newer park.
Some kid must have taken it from the old coin jar of his parents and lost it at the park. The thrill of the unexpected find!!!!!!!

The enjoyment of just detecting and not knowing what will come out of the ground.

That is the thrill!! :) :)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I like all kinds of detecting, beaches, parks old sites, etc. It gets me away from the TV, it's a mystery what will be found each day and at the same time, its a hobby that gives back. Whether its items that make you think how and why they are there or a little extra cash in the pocket, I enjoy it all. I also cannot complain about the people I have met detecting so far, as generally speaking are all very nice and its a hobby that people can be themselves.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
oldplacesnofinds said:
I really don't care to find clad or jewlery. I am in it for the history. When I dug my first indian,(1875) I could not stop thinking of what that bought, who had it and who lost it. My thoughts went crazy when I found my first colonial,(1787 Jersey). I have never sold anything I have found but I do cash in my clad. Got to buy batteries! If I found a coin worth $1000's, of course I would sell it. But, I am content with looking through my collection and other people like to also. I am a history nut and can't wait to find my first seated or chain or flowing hair.

That is going to be a great moment for you...good luck...I am just excited finding a wheatie... :)

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me...I like the research involved with detecting older sites. I'm not so much into finding clad or newer stuff..

I like the relic, the old coinage.

I was into detecting back in the early 80's and after a bunch of years out of it...I came back.

It's getting out, something to do...the hunt for a neat, unexplored site..using my eyes to spot that faint house foundation, wondering what was left behind.

I have my share of disappointments with developement in the area and after researching something only to discover a mini-mall in its place,
but I go find somewhere else to go.

I also like to try to figure out where the detectorists have been...then find something off the beaten path where they chose not to explore.

It is a time for me to relax, let my mind empty to the problems so many of us have...just let the tone of my machine act like a mantra to my brain...and let the sun warm me as i slowly watch the swing of my machine....almost like a religeous experience.

There are lots of factors in Md'ing for me.....getting rich isnt in the plan for me...just R&R.
Al

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
KINGPULLTAB said:
I just love the thrill of the hunt. And when I hold a fresh find in my hand I cant help but wonder who lost it and when. I travel a lot and when I look through my collection each and every piece brings back a tale to be told and a memory that puts a smile on my face.
DFX-gregg thanks for the great topic.

HAPPY HUNTING TO ALL ---JIM IN SUNNY FLORIDA AKA KINGPULLTAB
Jim thanks for the response...and you are 100% right every find has a story behind it... :)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
EBCIII said:
Well being very new to the hobby my why is right now to learn my machine. I figure if I keep going out and using it I will get better at it I hope. I have yet to find any silver or jewelry. So far my best find to me was a token. It is from my town and was for the busses. They stopped running 50 years ago. I found it in my wifes grandmothers yard. I got very excited when I learned what it was.

I am looking foward to my first silver, or gold. Relics would be cool to. I just enjoy this hobby very much, Beale.

You will find them if you hunt...I go thru a lot of clad to find silver coins...other silver pieces/jewelry seem easier for me...Gold even less 5 gold rings this year I think between the silver and gold rings i have this year 19...and i get out all the time. I think area has a lot to do with it. I can go out any day and find 100 clad coins...because of the area...some go out and find silver coins almost daily...figure out what your area is giving you and take advantage of it...good luck! :)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
civilman1 said:
I'm fortunate enough to live in an area full of CW history but that doesn't mean I'll find nothing but bullet's and buckle's.I hit the tot-lot's too!...I love the fact that if I didn't dig it up it would be gone forever maybe....You never know what the next piece will be...We are a different breed of people,I've hunted with at least a dozen people on here and we all have the same drive and desire to find the good stuff,no matter what.Kinda glad everyone's not in this great hobby....

I agree with everything you said...you need the drive to be successful at anything...

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
HOSSNV said:
I am fascinated by anything old ( lets say over 50 years ) relic , coin or a piece of junk (?) Because I like to continplate what might have been the story behind it . Example . I found a small bottole marked " Dr Thompson's Eye Water in a mining camp many years ago . To this day I still wonder if that poor miner ever got relief for his eye aliment . Hoss

:D

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Dimeman said:
I go out for the enjoyment of just detecting. In the air, outside getting some much needed excercise. I usually go out to park areas to try and find some older coins but end up with more clad than older coins :P Which is fine because I am just out enjoying metal detecting.

I have kept most of the older silver coins,older nickels and pennies, that I have found over the years. This year, so far,I have saved all the clad coins I have dug up.

I like the older parks where there still is silver being found, and if I need just to get out to get away from everything else, I hit the playground areas, for some quick clad coins. Last part of July,I hit a totlot and it was a newer park, less than 7 years old. Found a silver quarter in the woodchips!!!!!Shocked the heck out of me, when I saw silver from the woodchips in a newer park.
Some kid must have taken it from the old coin jar of his parents and lost it at the park. The thrill of the unexpected find!!!!!!!

The enjoyment of just detecting and not knowing what will come out of the ground.

That is the thrill!! :) :)

Yes a couple tot lot finds have surprised me too...I found this very large mcdonalds football coin but...no silver coins in the tot lots yet for me...fingers crossed..

Attachments

• Mcdonalds 1999 grid iron coin.jpg
    Mcdonalds 1999 grid iron coin.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 314
  • Mcdonalds 1999 grid iron coin.jpg
    Mcdonalds 1999 grid iron coin.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 302

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Coins, relics and the history. MDing is simply a fun way to get out of the house and get some exercise. Plus meet some interesting people. Dont expect to get rich or famous. Of couse if I found a lug nut from a UFO or something that would be cool. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread