Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Whites XLT / Garrett Ace 250

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
As you can see by all the previous replies, everone has their own reason for detecting.

Mine is for the fun of the hunt and to get some needed exercise.

The money is fine, I usually get between $150 to $300 a year in clad and a pocket full of junk rings. There is the occasional gold or silver ring. That is a bonus.

I would like to find the one big diamond ring worth a few grand, but we can all dream....................................................................
;D ;D :o :o :D :D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt for the thrill of the hunt. It's true I hunt jewelry at the beaches a lot, but I have yet to sell anything. Anything I find, the wife has first choice, if she doesn't want it, it goes into my "treasure chest", rings the wife doesn't take goes on my "finds" ring necklace which hangs around a lighted skeleton head that sits on top of my treasure chest. The skeleton wears my Pirates of the Caribbean hunting hat when I'm not wearing it.

poppa19

Jul 22, 2007
western new york
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
for me its the excitement of digging the hole in anticipation of what will pop out, also great way to be outside doing something that is really great fun with mding you either love it or hate it. its also a great way to spend quality time with my family especially my 4 yr. old daughter she loves finding those pennies to her a penny is worth just as much as a quarter and she don't care if its silver

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
tw656 said:
Coins, relics and the history. MDing is simply a fun way to get out of the house and get some exercise. Plus meet some interesting people. Dont expect to get rich or famous. Of couse if I found a lug nut from a UFO or something that would be cool. ;D

:D ;D ;)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Ray S ECenFL said:
As you can see by all the previous replies, everone has their own reason for detecting.

Mine is for the fun of the hunt and to get some needed exercise.

The money is fine, I usually get between $150 to $300 a year in clad and a pocket full of junk rings. There is the occasional gold or silver ring. That is a bonus.

I would like to find the one big diamond ring worth a few grand, but we can all dream....................................................................
;D ;D :o :o :D :D

Yes you know that would be fun...a big diamond..I have seen a few on here...remember one post about a guy that found a $5000 diamond ring and there was a debate about the ring being registered and returnable...got very interesting.... :)

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old coins and jewelry for me. Clad just gets in the way.

I hunt mostly old farms, and spots where houses have long disappeared.

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Its always been just the thrill to get out and detect for me as I just like to detect. I never cared whether it was old or new, just to see what the next signal is going to be. While I would like to relic hunt some the truth is that bobbie really doesnt have the hand strength to dig deep holes with a shovel. So we do what we do. Long as the batteries are burning the shadows will to the ground.
hh
dave+bobbie

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
I think it is just the thrill of never knowing what the next scoop or plus is going to hold that makes this hobby so exciting to me. Ok, but I want to find a Rolex ;D 18K to.

TORPEDOX

Aug 23, 2007
Payette Id.
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT
to me its the history,,the thrill of finding something that was perhaps lost long ago. a few weeks ago I was detecting in the yard of the house my grandmother lived in back in the 20's and found a clip on earring made of gold with a large 1/2 pearl in it. was it hers?? I don't know,,, but it could have been. thats what I like.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
bakergeol said:
I kind of think it depends how far along the path in this hobby you are. When I was a teenager(many, many decades ago) it was important to do well with your coin count. After all it was a major purchase and as a newbie I wanted my detector to pay for itself. Well its a situation where you grow as you go along. After finding buckets of common coinage(Yep in those days they were mainly silver) I quickly evolved into old coin hunting and relic hunting. Today it is mainly gold nugget/specimen hunting.

If you survive this hobby in a few decades you will not have the attitude that your detector MUST pay for itself. After all odds are just working overtime on your job instead of the time spent metal detecting would bring you many many times more money. Odds are also that you may become more affluent later in life and the dollar amount you find is less important than the thrill of finding it.

It is just what still interests you. If clad hunting excites you go for it. I know of several park hunters than simply ignore clad coinage as they are looking for old deep coins.

Different strokes for different folks.
George
Exactly right. I would rather find a single merc than a pocket full of clad .02

go deep

Greenie
Apr 11, 2006
michigan
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Finding lost items for people,the thrill is the look on thier faces. The best part is time with my wife.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions