What's new

Metal Detector Beginner - I Need Advice, Please!

i got a ctx 3030.my first md.not my last.and im still learning about it.im going forwaRD NOT BACK.It have a GPS ,USB,color screen and more. I love my CTX 3030.
 
Hi Coin Sniper,

I recently did what you are considering. By the way, hello everyone, I am new to the forum, and new to detecting. I am 53 years old, my only prior experience with a metal detector was as a teenager. I built a Heathkit model that was pretty neat at the time. Didn't really get a lot of practice on it, but learned the theory pretty good.

So I recently got the urge to do this and figured I should start with the best equipment. I tend to do that with everything I buy, can't help myself. So I purchased the Minelab CTX - 3030 with stock coil and the 17" coil.

I've found it to be simple to use with the stock programs, but obviously I'm sure I'll be tweaking those a lot as I get more practice. I've been to a Broward beach a couple of times for about 2.5 hours each trip. I have not used it in the water yet but have been practicing on the same area of beach with wet and dry sand. Both times out I've gotten about 8 coins (quarters, nickels, pennies so far), only exception was one piece of foil and a couple of ghosts that never seemed to materialize. Other than that, no junk found.

This is not a very busy section of beach, I'm just using it for practice since there are not a lot of people there. What's slowed me down the most is the scooping - that seems to be an art you have to develop. On the second trip I noticed a big improvement in pinpointing the target, so a lot less scooping was involved.

Aside from that I have been playing around with the GPS and marking the "finds" to have a good record and look for patterns on the map.

I'm really enjoying it and feel comfortable that I have a beast of a machine that will support me as my knowledge grows.

I'm waiting for a more suitable scoop to arrive for use in the water and will try getting wet on my next hunt.

Best newbie advice I can give you is don't forget to bring your scoop as I did on my first trip. :icon_scratch:

I will now go back to lurking as I have learned a lot from you all and will return with lots of questions in the future. Thanks for having me here!
 
To all the newbies, welcome. here's what I'd suggest, start small but smart. The Garrett Ace 250/350 is your best bang for the buck. In my experience (12yrs) you will need 2 seasons to feel comfortable with any unit if your inexperienced. If you still like the hobby after 2 seasons you can always move up and keep the Ace in your trunk for those hunts of opportunity or better yet, take a child with you. We all start somewhere.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom