✅ SOLVED meteorite piece? fossil poo? weathered old ceramic? any help would be very..helpful

Crendel

Aug 30, 2018
western ny
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hallo! i initially tossed this in the meteorite section first but probably should have just posted it here instead, which was my initial plan- havent gotten any opinions one way or the other so im guessing maybe it isnt actually passable as a moon rock but i still would be interested to know what it actually does look like. (post is still up in meteorites. i tried to delete it there but couldnt figure out how- maybe not allowed?- so my apologies to anyone in meteorites for tossing it here also. i tried to get rid of it.) found this near the niagara river shoreline while wandering around and looking for interesting things. i initially picked it up because at first glance i thought it might be a piece of old worn pottery, given its an area with known Native American history, then got to thinking maybe a piece of some kind of coprolite, then started thinking meteorite. so i obviously dont really know what it is. its a little bit bigger than a bottle cap and feels just slightly heavier than similar size rocks from here. it wont stick to a kitchen magnet but it will very slightly hold to a neo magnet. i wanded it for appreciable metal with the garrett pinpointer and got nothing. it looks very much like a few examples of some achrondatic meteorites i stumbled across, and has a sort of "waxy looking film" on most of it. im trying to narrow the possibilities down by process of elimination, just because now im super curious so im starting here. any takes on this would very much be appreciated. cheers!

IMG_20210503_133603193.jpg
IMG_20210503_133617823.jpg
IMG_20210503_093640778.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the images and description I'd guess that you have a chunk of ironstone. Iron is the 4th most common element found on/in earth's crust; so you can't just jump to "meteorite" when you find a rock that a magnet sticks to.

300px-Ironstone_Breathitt.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While hunting indian artifacts in mid-west I found lots of iron rocks, Charlie is correct, very common to find.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Crendel

Aug 30, 2018
western ny
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hear that. actually what was interesting to me was that it wasnt really very magnetic- it just barely clung to the 1100 lb. neo magnet. ive done a decent amount of magnet fishing around here and have definitely pulled up pieces of slag and what i assumed were iron ore rocks and they didnt look anything like this. hence my puzzlement. and again it very strongly resembled some online photos of stony meteorites, in addition to about a million other things. haha. all good though. i learned a little about meteorites in the process and your suggestion sent me down the "iron ore rabbit hole," and this does very strongly resemble bog iron, which there is a documented seam of a bit north of here. how it migrated upstream and up and over niagara falls is a mystery but my guess is that it may have fallen off an ore ship in the river back in the day. cheers for the feedback!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Crendel

Aug 30, 2018
western ny
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just to post a quick update to the "solved" thing, this is actually indeed a pottery sherd. the very slight magnetism is still odd to me but thats what it is. cheers.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread