🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Michigan State Agri Coll. pin? Smaller than a trime......

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
I don't think this was very deep (an inch, maybe), but the Deus II hit it good in spite of its tiny size. The outer circle is .329". thickness is .048". Much smaller than a trime but thicker. I can't find it anywhere on the web. I think it is sterling because it came out of the soil clean like the silver coins from this yard have. There is no sterling stamp on this piece, but it may have been on the piece that broke off. It's the same color as the sterling baby ring in the photo for size comparison. I found the ring shortly after the pin in the same yard. That hunted out yard keeps coughing up silver. No silver coin today, but I did get another Indian Head (1902). The Deus really shocked me on the ring. As tiny as it is, the Deus hit it at 5" deep with a solid 90 both ways. It was a softer signal, not a sharp ring like the silver coins, but the ID was right. I pulled a wheatie from a solid 8" yesterday shortly after I got the Barber dime I posted on todays finds (yesterday). The Deus is finally starting to convince me that it really does go deeper, especially when it is pulling out tiny stuff like these two pieces.

20231202_204747 - Copy.jpg20231202_205122 - Copy.jpgMichiganStateAgriCollegeSize.jpgMichiganStateAgriCollege.jpg

I don't think this was very deep (an inch, maybe), but the Deus II hit it good in spite of its tiny size. The outer circle is .329". thickness is .048". Much smaller than a trime but thicker. I can't find it anywhere on the web. I think it is sterling because it came out of the soil clean like the silver coins from this yard have. There is no sterling stamp on this piece, but it may have been on the piece that broke off. It's the same color as the sterling baby ring in the photo for size comparison. I found the ring shortly after the pin in the same yard. That hunted out yard keeps coughing up silver. No silver coin today, but I did get another Indian Head (1902). The Deus really shocked me on the ring. As tiny as it is, the Deus hit it at 5" deep with a solid 90 both ways. It was a softer signal, not a sharp ring like the silver coins, but the ID was right. I pulled a wheatie from a solid 8" yesterday shortly after I got the Barber dime I posted on todays finds (yesterday). The Deus is finally starting to convince me that it really does go deeper, especially when it is pulling out tiny stuff like these two pieces.

View attachment 2118391View attachment 2118392View attachment 2118393View attachment 2118394
THat's a real small ring and the collage logo is really a good recovery.
Good depths being achieved with the D2.
The collage logo looks like it might be off a ring, similar to this example.
Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 9.22.27 AM.png

Seems like there's a lot of history for the AGRI Collage.

Upvote 6
Here is a sterling ring with the same logo, but I could not find a tie tack or anything as small as the piece I found. I'm probably going to have to find a contact at the college to get good info.

Attachments

• MACring.jpg
    MACring.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 5
There is nothing at all on the back except signs that something was attached there and broke off. The silver testing solution confirms that it is silver.

Upvote 1
This silver pin looks similar, as far as the rounded middle section and specific abbreviated text/logo. Adding a rotated image since the listing shows it upside-down. Really neat find!

Attachments

• 1_e8008d75e8f8c46f343626b776c6bcaa.jpg
    1_e8008d75e8f8c46f343626b776c6bcaa.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 2
That's it! Thank you, FailCat!
Too bad Worthpoint wants an arm and a leg just to see an auction price. Thanks for providing the link to where you found it. Here is the text description and the complete image
MSACpin.jpg
;

GREAT HISTORICAL PIECE OF MSU HISTORY. STERLING (MARKED ON BACK) BAR PIN THAT SAYS "MICHIGAN STATE AGRI. COLL."THE HISTORY OF THE NAME OF MSU IS AS FOLLOWS: 1855 – Agricultural College of the State of Michigan 1861 – State Agricultural College 1909 – Michigan Agricultural College 1925 – Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Science 1955 – Michigan State University of Agriculture and Applied Science 1964 – Michigan State University THIS WOULD DATE THE PIN 1925 OR EARLIER.MINOR EVIDENCE OF WEAR AND AGE, BUT CLASP WORKS WELL, AND FRONT SURFACE VERY GOOD.MEASURES 2 7/8THS INCHES LONG BY 1/2 INCH WIDE

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back