Michigan woman found living inside rooftop store sign with desk and coffee maker

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
1715418190889.png

Contractors curious about an extension cord on the roof of a Michigan grocery store made a startling discovery: a 34-year-old woman was living inside the business sign, with enough space for a computer, printer and coffee maker, police said.

“She was homeless,” said Brennon Warren, an officer with the Midland police department. “It’s a story that makes you scratch your head, just somebody living up in a sign.”

The woman, whose name was not released, told police she had a job elsewhere but had been living inside the Family Fare sign for roughly a year, Warren said. She was found on 23 April.

Midland, best known as the global home of Dow Inc, is 130 miles (209km) north of Detroit.

The Family Fare store is in a retail strip with a triangle-shaped sign at the top of the building. The sign structure, probably 5ft (1.5 meters) wide and 8ft (2.4 meters) high, has a door and is accessible from the roof, Warren said.

“There was some flooring that was laid down. A mini desk,” he said. “Her clothing. A Keurig coffee maker. A printer and a computer – things you’d have in your home.”

The woman was able to get electricity through a power cord plugged into an outlet on the roof, Warren said.

There was no sign of a ladder. Warren said it’s possible the woman made her way to the roof by climbing up elsewhere behind the store or other retail businesses.

“I honestly don’t know how she was getting up there. She didn’t indicate, either,” he said.

A spokesperson for SpartanNash, the parent company of Family Fare, said store employees responded “with the utmost compassion and professionalism”.

“Ensuring there is ample safe, affordable housing continues to be a widespread issue nationwide that our community needs to partner in solving,” Adrienne Chance said, declining further comment.

Warren said the woman was cooperative and quickly agreed to leave. No charges were pursued.

“We provided her with some information about services in the area,” the officer said. “She apologized and continued on her way. Where she went from there, I don’t know.”

The director of a local non-profit that provides food and shelter assistance said Midland – which has a population of 42,000 – needs more housing for low-income residents.

“From someone who works with the homeless, part of me acknowledges she was really resourceful,” said Saralyn Temple of Midland’s Open Door. “Obviously, we don’t want people resorting to illegal activity to find housing. There are much better options.”

SOURCE:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/10/michigan-woman-living-inside-store-sign

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stories like these make me wonder how many homeless Americans could be fed and sheltered with 100 billion dollars? Aaah probably better spent funding death and destruction.

Sounds like she had a good thing going.
GREAT POINT OGF

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
AlgoForce E1500
Stories like these make me wonder how many homeless Americans could be fed and sheltered with 100 billion dollars? Aaah probably better spent funding death and destruction.

Sounds like she had a good thing going.
Here they throw money at sports stadiums and sporting events like it confetti whilst homeless live on the streets under bridges and in tents and cars. As they dismantle our energy grid closing down power station after power station forcing up power prices so high the elderly stop using their heating and cooling. We are told its for our own good 😒

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all homeless desire to live in the places provided. They prefer the freedom of the streets rather than the structured requirements of the shelters.

I understand. There is only so much people can do to help, problem being it’s nearly all is done by private organizations with only so many resources. Mostly churches with large open areas filled with as many people as they can fit.

Public areas could be provided for those who choose to use them. I don’t believe it’s the responsibility of society to fully support these people, though reasonable resources provided could help a great deal.

Block buildings, built like storage units. Woven Cots that hang from the walls. Doors that lock with rudimentary showers and a place to wash clothing. Rules that state they must pack and leave every morning. Sponsorships could be collected to help supply socks/draws and some simple food stuffs.

Instead the feds seem to feel that needles and crack pipes are more important. It’s not assistance, at least not with the intention of improving life, rather providing what they can to help usher them along.

The lack of humanity says everything you need to know. The working class is extorted, the money stolen and used to continue world domination. As long as humanity has existed select few have used the broken backs of the masses to try and take control of more, just more, It’s never enough. The greed and gluttony of the “elite” lay waste to everything below them. These poor people are just the forgotten. It’s truly sad.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some homeless are homeless because they are to lazy to work!
The Great Depression made folks grit and determination stand out.

What we have going on now is something entirely different.

We need some new grit so we can put our foot up the arse of CHINA to put a stop to this silent (but effective) war they have been waging on our society.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (Stock Coil)
Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Minelab X-Terra Pro (Stock Coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Great Depression made folks grit and determination stand out.

What we have going on now is something entirely different.

We need some new grit so we can put our foot up the arse of CHINA to put a stop to this silent (but effective) war they have been waging on our society.
The grit and determination here has been replaced with "I want you to do it for me" along with "You owe me these things" and lastly "I will find away around working". It's so pitiful its laughable. People "work" harder to AVOID work than if they just went ahead and done their tasks. It's a lot easier to get it behind you. Once it's done it's done.
There is no awareness or care today, no pride in work, and no sense of duty. The old motto seemingly in play is somebody else will take care of it.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grit and determination here has been replaced with "I want you to do it for me" along with "You owe me these things" and lastly "I will find away around working". It's so pitiful its laughable. People "work" harder to AVOID work than if they just went ahead and done their tasks. It's a lot easier to get it behind you. Once it's done it's done.
There is no awareness or care today, no pride in work, and no sense of duty. The old motto seemingly in play is somebody else will take care of it.
I would tend to agree with your generalizations except my ex wife and I have raised two great kids in their mid 20’s that have turned out great. Self respect and morals intact.

So it’s not that there are not decent kids out there, it’s just a really exclusive club they are in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions