What's new

Microware and gloss feature question

Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
338
Reaction score
175
Golden Thread
0
I have read a lot in determining how much a tool was used based on the gloss that is on the piece. Putting aside an axe, does anyone have good examples of what gloss looks like on a small tool or flake?
 
Upvote 0
I think you mean polish, the term commonly used among hunter/collectors to describe a high degree of use wear on a tool such as an ax.

Use wear on a blade or scraper would sometimes show polish or appear glossy depending on the material. I am sure some one will have some examples to show.
 
Gloss/patina can help you tell if an artifact is old at a glance, but there are legitimate ones found without any signs which makes it tricky & I try not to comment on them. It won't determine use though. As quito said that is wear. This is my most limey-like residue covered tool of 2015.
 

Attachments

  • 1451498625558.webp
    1451498625558.webp
    54.7 KB · Views: 112
& my wear'iest of 2015. No repro's
 

Attachments

  • 1451498853362.webp
    1451498853362.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Hmm...pic no work? The wear'iest!!
 

Attachments

  • 1451512572286.webp
    1451512572286.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 96
These three pictures show the use polish on the edge of a Hoe I found a couple years back. I found around 30 Hoes total there, but only a few that weren't broken or damaged.
 

Attachments

  • Clarl Farm Artifacts (229).webp
    Clarl Farm Artifacts (229).webp
    54 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_6717.webp
    100_6717.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 100_6718.webp
    100_6718.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 101
Artifacts have a shine due to a number of things, use, stone type, heat treating, and water. The 2 photo's show 1st use wear on a Adez . It is only on the end on one side due to that side striking wood or what ever they were using it on. 2nd the point has a shine due to water flow mixed with sand and gravel and also the length of time it was in the creek.artifact shine 020.webpartifact shine 021.webp Some artifacts have a smoothness due to use with a dull like shine, but looking at it you can see this wear pattern compared to other parts of the artifact.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom