Midland Trail & Civil War

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
Midland Trail & Civil War

Just wondering how many,if any of you, have done any hunting along the Midland trail for relics or Indian artifacts, or whatever.
I have never been interested in any of this stuff until I stumbled on this site a few weeks ago and have spent most of that time reading everything I possibly had time for on the site. That's when the proverbial light bulb lit up.
I LIVE SMACK IN THE MIDDLE of a lot of this stuff. And thinking about it makes me wonder what I am missing considering all the fantastic history that just jumps out and smacks you in the face, but you never notice it.
I can't think of how many times I've been out in the woods and walked right over top of some the things talked about in these forums. I've seen countless trees that were obviously not shaped by nature and can't imagine how many civil war camps etc that I probably thought, "gee that sure is neat" and just kept on going.
I haven't the foggiest idea about metal detecting and have never so much as found an indian arrowhead, but it all seems pretty neat. So basically, I was just wondering what sort of stuff has been found that's really close to home and wonder what might turn up in my own back yard. I find kids marbles almost every time I dig up anything around here, but never thought about even looking for anything else. My actual house was built as an old log cabin and then had a few crappy additions added later, but the cabin part is still in use even though that may soon be done away with.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Midland Trail & Civil War

That's excactly why I got into this hobby!!History....Where are you located at?

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

civilman1 said:
That's excactly why I got into this hobby!!History....Where are you located at?

Joe...I think we need to help this guy out!!!

OP
OP
corklabus

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet

I've lived in the general area between US 19 and Babcock State Park for nearly twenty years, right on Us rt. 60.......Maybe 3 miles from what is supposed to be Spy Rock at Lookout. This whole area clear to New River is packed with so much history it drives a person goofy trying to absorb it.
I did a bunch of digging several years ago trying to find a septic system on the back section of my property. Dug up half the place huntin' that thing. A neighbor brought a metal detector over to help, but didn't find it. My three year old grandson found it with a plastic shovel and a toy truck. Anyway, it never occurred to me to look for anything else.
The house next to me has changed hands four times since I've been here, but the lady who owned it when I bought my place had lived next door for 80 years and tried to tell me a little bit about when my place was built and where a spring or two was supposed to be and how her husband had tried to get city water put through here for over 50 years.
Did a little remodeling a while back and found newspapers inside the walls dated back to the 1800's, but thought nothing of it other that it being "neat" that it was there.
As noted in my original post, I don't know "diddly" about finding stuff. Most of the time I'm lucky to find my way home, but I thought maybe some of you guys might get interested in the general area because there's obviously so much stuff that's probably around here and I can't recall ever having seen anyone doing any MDing around here. I don't recall ever even seeing a metal detector in my life until my neighbor turned up with one to hunt that septic system and that's been at least 10 years ago.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

corklabus said:
Just wondering how many,if any of you, have done any hunting along the Midland trail for relics or Indian artifacts, or whatever.
I have never been interested in any of this stuff until I stumbled on this site a few weeks ago and have spent most of that time reading everything I possibly had time for on the site. That's when the proverbial light bulb lit up.
I LIVE SMACK IN THE MIDDLE of a lot of this stuff. And thinking about it makes me wonder what I am missing considering all the fantastic history that just jumps out and smacks you in the face, but you never notice it.
I can't think of how many times I've been out in the woods and walked right over top of some the things talked about in these forums. I've seen countless trees that were obviously not shaped by nature and can't imagine how many civil war camps etc that I probably thought, "gee that sure is neat" and just kept on going.
I haven't the foggiest idea about metal detecting and have never so much as found an indian arrowhead, but it all seems pretty neat. So basically, I was just wondering what sort of stuff has been found that's really close to home and wonder what might turn up in my own back yard. I find kids marbles almost every time I dig up anything around here, but never thought about even looking for anything else. My actual house was built as an old log cabin and then had a few crappy additions added later, but the cabin part is still in use even though that may soon be done away with.

When do we start??? I have two detectors, will teach you, and have a living history to the area. My family settled in your area many moons ago. Their name then was Libby.

DM

OP
OP
corklabus

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet

Not a great time to start anything right now. Holidays and all. And I'm really not in the mood to get my tail frozen off anymore than I already am since I'm trying to re-do my front porch floor and add a wheelchair ramp before Christmas. Almost got that though. Tomorrow should rap that up.
ME ??? Hunt stuff ??? You gotta be kiddin'.............. I'm beginning to think I'm in that middle age crazy phase...... :D ..... Not too long ago, a friend took me fishin' on his boat. Owning a boat had never crossed my mind until then. Last summer I just had to get me a boat.......traded some guns for an old ass boat and still ain't figgured out whether I regret it or not. At least it floats and gets me places better than being stuck on the bank.
Truth is I don't know if I'm up to getting into any more serious "hobbies".
Hunting stuff does seem like a great idea, but I got HO train layouts stacked in the closet that's been there for 15 years or more. :-\
It might be fun to snoop around the yard and see just what it's all about when the weather gets a little more pleasant. I don't think these 50 degree days are gonna stay with us very much longer. Probably be at least April, but then from what I see on this forum, most of you "hunters" seem to be pretty hard core.
Can't say that I'm familiar with the Libby family name. I've heard it, but I spent most of my working years driving a stupid truck all over the country and didn't get to do a lot of socializing here at home.
Still haven't heard anyone say they've hunted the area or if anyone had found anything around here. I was hoping someone had located something around here. When they put in the new Wal-Mart in Fayetteville there was a big stink about it disturbing some Civil War burial sites. Whether they were preseved or not, I don't know. They were "supposed" to have been. I bet that would be another great opportunity for somebody.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions