What's new

Mighty-fine Madison?

eastTNJoe

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
546
Reaction score
616
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this little beauty last week but just got pics uploaded…I think it is a Madison, but would welcome suggestions from others. I tried to include some views at multiple angles..it is thin enough that light passes through.
DSC09375.webpDSC09377.webpDSC09374.webpDSC09376.webpDSC09378.webp
 
Upvote 0
I don't think that's a madison.....
 
It's hard to see a ground base (though I was hoping to see that, maybe you can see it- That's what I was 'Seeing' last night...), but the flute seems to be there. Maybe Pigeon Side Notch... see what you think- according to this (from Archaeology at Wilson-Warren.edu (the flake patterns don't seem to be right though).


(Keel)
This triangular blade has concave or straight sides. The length is twice the width. The base can be incurvate, excurvate, or straight and thinned with pressure flaking. The side notches are very shallow measuring 1 mm deep and 1-3 mm wide. Points range from 28-39 mm long, 13-23 mm wide, and 6-8 mm thick. This point is made by percussion-flaking with pressure-flaking along the edges and side notches. This is an Early Woodland point.​
​

I don't have time now- and I was too tired last night to get a proper look at it (it's a beauty, BTW). x2 check base. Flute, right? Is it exhausted or simply small/ secondary flaking? Lovely material :thumbsup:
I'll keep looking when I can home from work.

Maybe someone else will jump in, hopefully...
 
that has a very old look too it,really nice point for sure.could be a plainview
 
Nice little point Im not sure on it but maybe somebody else will know.
 
That sure is a beautiful point, I wouldn't mind finding one like that. :icon_thumleft:
 
Are the edges ground near the base?
 
Whatever it is.........it is mighty fine! Thanks for showing.
 
Are the edges ground near the base?

I have the hardest time figuring that out…I will pull it out in a little bit and feel it and take some more pics…thanks to all for the suggestions!
 
It's hard to see a ground base (though I was hoping to see that, maybe you can see it- That's what I was 'Seeing' last night...), but the flute seems to be there. Maybe Pigeon Side Notch... see what you think- according to this (from Archaeology at Wilson-Warren.edu (the flake patterns don't seem to be right though).


(Keel)
This triangular blade has concave or straight sides. The length is twice the width. The base can be incurvate, excurvate, or straight and thinned with pressure flaking. The side notches are very shallow measuring 1 mm deep and 1-3 mm wide. Points range from 28-39 mm long, 13-23 mm wide, and 6-8 mm thick. This point is made by percussion-flaking with pressure-flaking along the edges and side notches. This is an Early Woodland point.​
​

I don't have time now- and I was too tired last night to get a proper look at it (it's a beauty, BTW). x2 check base. Flute, right? Is it exhausted or simply small/ secondary flaking? Lovely material :thumbsup:
I'll keep looking when I can home from work.

Maybe someone else will jump in, hopefully...

Thanks for all the input!
Here are some more pics
DSC09389.webpDSC09386.webpDSC09385.webpDSC09388.webpDSC09391.webpDSC09387.webpDSC09393.webpDSC09384.webpDSC09390.webpDSC09392.webp
 
Joe you are right enough. They are Mississippian just like guntersvile hamiltons and madison. They are common in your area. I have a pile of them if you want to see some like examples.All in our Dallas phase. Base not ground. Its an arrow point.
You found a real nice one
 
Last edited:
Joe you are right enough. They are Mississippian just like guntersvile hamiltons and madison. They are common in your area. I have a pile of them if you want to see some like examples.All in our Dallas phase. Base not ground. Its an arrow point.
You found a real nice one

Thanks TNMTNS…of course I want to see some of yours! Post some pics! Hope you are doing well...
 
IMG_2849.webp

Some will have a bifurcate base some won't. They made some of these even bigger and some very small. I have found then from about 30 miles above you to 50 miles below. This is just a few. Some of the work is fantastic as what you see in yours. If they are longer thinner they go in to the guntersville category . Dallas era triangle form the Chickamauga basin.
 
View attachment 1126606

Some will have a bifurcate base some won't. They made some of these even bigger and some very small. I have found then from about 30 miles above you to 50 miles below. This is just a few. Some of the work is fantastic as what you see in yours. If they are longer thinner they go in to the guntersville category . Dallas era triangle form the Chickamauga basin.

Thanks man! Awesome info. My gut told me it was somewhere in the Guntersville/Madison range…but the little bit of stuff I've found at this spot was way earlier in era... so it seemed out of place a bit. I always appreciate your expertise.
 
Well the window you hunt is what 13,000 + to trade goods to removal. It has it all.Many types named for your area. Hope all is well. Tell your Dad I said "Howdy".
 
real nice point, great pix too.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom