Mike(Woodland Detectors) Bob & James Bibb come down to dig & we get some Firsts!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike(Woodland Detectors) Bob & James Bibb come down to dig & we get some Firsts!

Hey Y'all, I’ve had a blast over the last week with three First Rate guys and good friends! Last weekend my friends Mike Post (Woodland Detectors) and famed Civil War photographer Robert Szabo, who was fresh in from photographing Robert Redford for an upcoming Civil War movie, came down to do some hardcore detecting with me! We did some diggin' at DIV and it was terrific to see him again. Mike and I ventured to some of my old stomping grounds as well as some of my new sites. We dug some bullets and buttons, I showed him some old Earthworks and forts and we had a great time. Bob ended up getting the find of this trip with a very nice War of 1812 Militia Navy Button and Mike ended up camping with some killer ticks though and we had to move him to another site after the first night as he said there were about 100 on his tent trying to get in!!! :o :o The ticks are soo bad in Virginia this time of year. It was good seeing you again buddy and I'll see you soon. :icon_thumleft:
This week, another of my really good buddies from Tnet that I've known for about 2-3 years now on here and dug with at DIV, also came down to visit and dig, James Bibb. A first rate guy, we had a dang good time and dug a bunch of nice relics including a couple first for Both of us! The first day the rain delayed our diggin' time and we only got about half a day to dig. We did end up with some keepers, James got a nice Eagle "A" and Flintlock Pistol Nose Cap! We were about to leave one of the fields that I had alot of luck in last summer when I got a deep signal and popped out a clipped 1/4th of a 2 Reale Pistareen of Phillip the V, so that was pretty cool!
The next day, James started the day off right with a really cool 1862 Canadian Copper Token, just like the one Jeff dug last year except smaller denomination :laughing9: We dug several Belgian .69s and even some 2 RING .69s. Then I heard James make a cheerful sound and walked over...I saw him squatting down over a Beautiful Button!! James got a VERY pretty War of 1812 huge 1 piece Navy Coat with alot of the gilt remaining that you can see in his post! It was not only his first War of 1812 Era button, but also One of the best I've seen dug! :occasion14: and the find of the day in my opinion! :headbang: I ended up getting a pretty Civil War era Navy and we both dug some Eagles. Towards the afternoon I popped out my very first Capped Silver, an 1835 Halfdime and I was tickled pink!! We have so much Clipped Spanish silver down here but very little Bust Silver, so it was a real treat and a very, very welcome piece! So we both left with a couple of very coveted firsts and had a blast, I was definitely the one that was plused by them coming down as I enjoyed their company and camaraderie and I'm glad that James, Mike, Bob and myself were able to leave with some really cool and nice finds!!! Here's to ya guys :occasion14:

Here's the Finds:

In the Hole:

May 4-5 --Bust&Clippeded.jpg

May 4--Just Duged.jpg

Mike P. (Woodland Detectors) out there swingin his GPX 5000!
22043_09_05_11_10_03_34_0.jpeg

Bob gets the find of the day with a very well preserved War of 1812 Navy (Eagle w/ Shield at bottom inset with an anchor)

22043_09_05_11_10_03_35_1.jpeg

My Finds From the Pouch and Uncleaned:

The finds at bottom were my finds digging with Mike and Bob, Finds at top are the ones found while diggin' with James:
May 4-5--Just Dug2eded.jpg

A HANDFUL of Lead! Including some Big Boy 2 Ring and Belgian 3 Ring .69s!
MD Pics 1656ed.jpg

This 2 Ring .69 had something carved into it, at first it looked like a triangle and a "4" but then I noticed that it was actually carved the other way around and its an upper case "H.V."
2 Ring .69 w/ Initials

MD Pics 1662ed.jpg

MD Pics 1684ed.jpg

1700's Clipped Phillip V Pistareen and 1835 Bust Halfdime--Uncleaned

MD Pics 1685ed.jpg

This Civil War Navy turned out really nice once cleaned up. You can see it above before being cleaned and while I saw the gold gilt on the back of the button, it turned out prettier than I expected.

Civil War Navy Button
May 4-5 --Bust&Clippeded.jpg

A few other finds included a nice Heart Shaped Lock with the initials "S & Co" on the brass slide, a melted .69 ( you can see the rings in the top left corner), a couple silver quarters (as you can imagine those gave quite a rush at first glance) and an attachment buckle that has signs of heavy gold gilting on it in the grooves and creases. I must admit that I've never dug one quite like this before, it's a 1904 OFFICER’S SABRE HANGER:

May 4-5 --CW Navy Buttoned.jpg

1904 OFFICER’S SABRE HANGER A shining example of the one I dug above
0607mill_11.JPG

1835 Bust Halfdime and 1700's Phillip V Clipped Pistareen--Cleaned Up
22043_09_05_11_1_10_50_0.jpeg

And the Group Shots of my finds collectively:

Laid Out:
May 4-5 -- Finds4.jpg

Just the Buttons, Bullets, and Coins Grouped
MD Pics 1712ed.jpg

Everything Grouped:

22043_09_05_11_9_24_37_1.jpeg

22043_09_05_11_9_24_36_0.jpeg

AND....

One last photo of my EAGLE BREAST PLATE at 11 inches!!! :laughing9: :laughing7: ;D :tongue3: Same Size, brass, man when I first saw the edge I was SURE it was one....then I got a nice Laugh when I popped it out :D

MD Pics 1725ed.jpg

Thanks for looking guys!

Attachments

• MD Pics 1718ed.jpg
    MD Pics 1718ed.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,523
Upvote 0

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Mike aka Woodland Detectors & James Bibb come down to dig & we get some Firsts!

You rock as usual Josh!~ :headbang: Thank tou again for the awesome hospitality and more than awesome History Lesson. Just seeing those cannon stations in realtime, and trench Earthworks were the best part of the trip! Thanks again Josh! We will hunt again here in a few weeks. Here's the pic of you moving my Walrus one man tent! :laughing9: :tongue3:

Good Times Bro

Attachments

• 2011-04-29 001.JPG
    2011-04-29 001.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,468

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Mike aka Woodland Detectors & James Bibb come down to dig & we get some Firsts!

You really know how to "present" your finds! Magazine quality photos for sure.

I was trying to see what find of yours I liked the best.....but heck, I like 'em all!

You get :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok...I would like to be your friend! I'd brave some ticks for those finds!

U

umrgolf

Great lookin VA digs.. wondering why the local guys ever gave up on the region since its pretty clear the place will never dry up. :headbang:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Um. Where's my video? :dontknow: :D Just kiddin'! Who has time to film when you have such great huntin' buddies and you're finding relics like that!? :wink: What an awesome group of finds! :o That would be difficult to choose a favorite from that wild variety of keepers!
Congrats on ALL those finds!

Nana :wink:

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great haul guys :icon_thumleft:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice grouping of quality recoveries Josh.

I am envious of that bust half dime, still waiting on bust silver myself.
-Evan

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

absolutely incredible hunt you guys!!! congrats on all the great stuff!

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

Looks like a good time was had by all!!!,,fantastic photos,, and finds!!!

thanks for sharing

art
wayne co.
il.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice bust silver

You're right - this area is loaded with spanish silver, but a bust silver coin is hard as a hen's tooth to come by. I've only found one in 15 years of serious detecting. Lots of other nice finds were made by everyone, so looks like you guys had a great time.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Woodland Detectors said:
You rock as usual Josh!~ :headbang: Thank tou again for the awesome hospitality and more than awesome History Lesson. Just seeing those cannon stations in realtime, and trench Earthworks were the best part of the trip! Thanks again Josh! We will hunt again here in a few weeks. Here's the pic of you moving my Walrus one man tent! :laughing9: :tongue3:

Good Times Bro

Thanks Brutha! LOL :laughing9: We had to get you out of "Tick Alley"

thrillathahunt said:
You really know how to "present" your finds! Magazine quality photos for sure.

I was trying to see what find of yours I liked the best.....but heck, I like 'em all!

You get :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks TTH, I appreciate it. :icon_thumleft: :wink:

romeo-1 said:
Ok...I would like to be your friend! I'd brave some ticks for those finds!

LOL :wink: I could see a Romeo/Sentinel Diggin' venture somewhere in the distant future :occasion14:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Looks like a good hunt Josh. That's a really nice Navy button. Lots of nice relics there. HH, Quindy.

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Some really good hunting Sentinel!
Love the way you edit and display the photos.

Palmetto

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds guys!!!!!!! HH

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Your post are very well presented and their relics are special ... has to be very difficult to find things as old in North America.
The Phillip V Clipped is very nice ... congratulations. :thumbsup:
H

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that's a day I could handle...lots of good diggin with great friends... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umrgolf said:
Great lookin VA digs.. wondering why the local guys ever gave up on the region since its pretty clear the place will never dry up. :headbang:

Thanks Jeff...who knows, we do know they dug a ton of stuff back in the 70s and 80s, but nowhere near all of it....and this "local" has been quite happy picking up where they left off. :laughing7: You did just fine picking up after them also when you were here. :wink:

Nana40 said:
Um. Where's my video? :dontknow: :D Just kiddin'! Who has time to film when you have such great huntin' buddies and you're finding relics like that!? :wink: What an awesome group of finds! :o That would be difficult to choose a favorite from that wild variety of keepers!
Congrats on ALL those finds!

Nana :wink:

You answered the question for me! LOL :laughing9: Thanks so much Nana, I Always appreciate your nice comments! :wink: :wink:

metalev4 said:
I am envious of that bust half dime, still waiting on bust silver myself.
-Evan
Thanks Evan. Hope your doing good buddy.

cntrydncr1 said:
absolutely incredible hunt you guys!!! congrats on all the great stuff!
Deb, we had a great time, James and Mike are good friends and we spent the day diggin and the night talkin' BS and laughing our...."Hind ends" off :laughing7:

artzstuff1 said:
Looks like a good time was had by all!!!,,fantastic photos,, and finds!!!

thanks for sharing

art
wayne co.
il.

Thanks my friend :icon_thumleft: :wink:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Stellar recoveries for the Three Amigo's. That gold gilt Navy button looks fantastic. Congrats on the old silver too.
Is that tent on the back of your truck Mike's idea of a motor home? :tongue3: :laughing9:
Glad to see you guys cleaning out Virginia. Just stay out of NC please. ;D :violent1:
-Dug-
:occasion14:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Stellar recoveries for the Three Amigo's. That gold gilt Navy button looks fantastic. Congrats on the old silver too.
Is that tent on the back of your truck Mike's idea of a motor home? :tongue3: :laughing9:
Glad to see you guys cleaning out Virginia. Just stay out of NC please. ;D :violent1:
-Dug-
:occasion14:
LOL

Doug, translate this:

Esa fue una marcada fuera coño

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions