✅ SOLVED Military buttons?

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know they are military, but where and when? I found them near Chickamaugua battlefield and near Fort Oglethorpe Ga. They could be civil to wwi.. I think
image.jpg

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I can only find three companies from Attleboro, Mass. listed for the "Great Seal" buttons. There may be more but they are not in my references.

1. D. Evans and Co.
2. Metal Specialties co,
3. Shields Inc.

Do any of these fit, Hughett?

Upvote 0

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably all World War I era. The rimless one was made before 1910 but was probably still in use during the World War I years. My guess is you found a WWI campsite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hughett

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was near Fort Oglethorpe ( 6th Calvary) which was a military fort during the wars (started the 1890’s) and also a German Prisoner camp. It was also a huge battle field during the CW. ( Chickamaugua). I found them in two front yards. They where some of my first finds. I would of loved to have seen that place during its hay day. General Patton was also stationed here. DIG and learn.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hughett

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horstmann Philadelphia on the one without a shank. Art metal works Newark New Jersey For the large one. The Attleboro is smashed where the maker is. I’m still working on the last one. And thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hughett

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg
Okay one last try. I have stared at this so long my eyes are now crossed. I just cannot make it out maybe one of you guys recognize it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hughett

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg
Talk about full circle. I found this button today while cleaning out a house.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The 3 that have been identified are common. The only value with these is the rare backmarks

Scovill Mf’g Co. Waterbury, Horstmann Philadelphia, Art metal works Newark New Jersey

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hughett

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a bunch guys. I learned a lot about th buttons and the history of where I found them. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you know that Chickamauga was also the site of a large Spanish-American war camp? But, that pre-dates the buttons you found.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hughett

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I didn’t know that. I’ve got to get a bigger coil.
Thanks

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ne/topic/military/SpanishAmericanWar/span_am_camps/

Camp Boynton, Chickamauga Park, GA (See Camp Thomas)
Henry V. Boynton, 1835-1905, a regimental commander in the Army of the Cumberland during the Civil War and later a Washington journalist, conceived the idea for the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park which was established in 1890. He was a Brigadier General of volunteers in the Spanish American War. Boynton is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
The April 15, 1898 Nashville Banner reported that Col. Burt of the 25th Inf. named his regimental camp in honor of Boynton who had helped with preparations for the camp. According to the paper, Camp Boynton was established “one-fourth of a mile east of the Widow Glenn’s house which was the headquarters of Gen. Rosecrans during the battle of Chickamauga.” The 25th Inf. was the first regiment to arrive at Chickamauga Park.
The camp site of the 25th Inf. is shown on the map of Camp Thomas in source (13).
In late August, 1898, Boynton was assigned to duty at the park to care for and protect the park and to restore it as troops were withdrawn. He was also there in early May, 1898 to “superintend preparations for the arrival of volunteer troops” according to the May 14, 1898 Army and Navy Journal. I initially thought Camp Boynton may have been established as a base from which to carry out his care and protection duties.

Camp George H. Thomas, Chickamauga Park, GA (See Leiter and Sternberg General Hospitals)
Named after the “Rock” of Chickamauga on April 22, 1898.
This camp was established April 14, 1898 on the grounds of the Chickamauga-Chattanooga National Military Park. This was the assembly point for at least 6 regiments of regular cavalry who were on their way to Tampa. Camp Thomas became the initial camp of the First and Third Corps. By mid-May, 1898, the regulars had departed and the volunteer units began arriving. By mid-September, 1898, the only volunteer unit remaining at Camp Thomas was the 6th U.S. Vol. Inf. The current map of the park can be overlaid on the 1898 map of the camp to identify where units were camped.
Many souvenir booklets were published on this camp, including Life Scenes in Camp Thomas, no publisher identified, July, 1898; The “Boys” in Camp Thomas, published by Sidebottom & Kerr, June, 1898.
The May 20, 1890 St. Louis Globe-Democrat refers to the 1st Missouri camp at Camp Thomas as Camp Stephens. No other references to this camp name were found.
See source (7) beginning at page 140.
The map of the camp in source (13) shows where all regular army and volunteer units were camped and the location of Sternberg General Hospital.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hughett

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in the Boynton area. I went to Boynton Elm. No one ever told me who it was named after. I didn’t ask either. I will be researching this some more. “ You a smart man” Thanks!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions