Military Medal found. Calling Buckram, need ID.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No pic, heres description. Shaped like iron cross appx 1 & 1/2" X 1 & 1/2 " has wreaths encircling a circle in which reads "Small Arms" on top and "Practice" on bottom. The words in turn encircle a woman on the left of a shield holding a staff and a woman to the right of the shield holding a scale. In the shield is? a scene of two old masted sailing ships anchored in a river with a mountain behind it with the sun rising over the mountain. At the bottom of shield it says "Excelsior" which is the New York state motto. At the top of shield is a bird perched on either a globe or a ball. On the back it is stamped Tiffany & Co.?
I was hoping that it might be Rev war era, but bergie did a search and found that Tiffanys was founded in 1836, so thats out. It has a loop that is bent on the top left corner and on the top right corner you can see where the other loop broke off causing its loss from the ribbon it was attached to. I tried unsuccesfully to locate the pin part. Thanks to Bergie for the help, and any more help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.? ? :)?

Upvote 0

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Great find. Looking forward to checking it out. Will add you found a musketball and an old button (military, perhaps--with letters NYJ) in same area on an earlier hunt, if this helps anyone out. River you mention on the item found today may be Hudson since we are so close to it.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
WAIT!! Maybe this is the item that proves Bush was indeed on duty as he was supposed to be with the National Guard. Check for his name on it. :-) Send to Dan Rather!

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that is it, or at least the bottom part of it. Wish i had the whole thing but a fun find never the less. Thanks Bergie, your research is A#1. Thank you to Buckram also. The experience here never ceases to amaze me, this board is the best. :)

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now i'm left to just wonder what it was doing out in the middle of a newer ball park???

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
8) Nice find,got to love those old military medals.

::) Could Crying Dan report the true facts?Never heard him say much abought Kerry's medals.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Yeah, I want to know how the hell you get a "V" device for a silver star. There are no silver stars for service so they are all "valor" awards. I'd also like to know how you serve four months and get credit for two tours. Army tours were 12 months and marines were 13 months don't know what the navy and air force used for a tour. Maybe he had Gilligan on his boat and went for "a three hour tour". LOL
ss

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Dan Rather is a liar according to Oliver North. Rather claimed to be a marine in his autobiography but Ollie points out that he quit during basic and only lasted 44 days. Ollie says you aren't a marine unless you graduate basic. Kinda like Riddick Bow? Rather and Tom Harken both think Kerry is great. You remember Harken don't you? Telling all those great war stories about flying photo recon missions over north vietnam? He finally had to admit that the closest he got was a tour in Japan. Meanwhile the real heros of the Democratic party never get seriously considered for any national office. Senator Inoye of Hawaii lost an arm fighting for the 442nd Regimental Combat Team in Italy during World War Two. Senator Bob Kerry lost a leg and won the Medal of Honor while serving as a SEAL in Vietnam. Lloyd Benson was a pilot fighter or bomber I don't remember. Was it Dan Rather or some other leftist reporter who was beaten up in a restroom by someone asking "What's the frequency Kenneth?" Whoever it was there is usually only one reason you would get beaten in a restroom. He didn't say he was robbed. One more month and we can start the countdown to the democratic appeals. Hope they don't last as long as the Gore nonsense. exanimo, ss

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
Re: Military Medal found. Calling Buckram, need ID.
? Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 10:04:52 PM ?? ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I want to know how the hell you get a "V" device for a silver star. There are no silver stars for service so they are all "valor" awards. I'd also like to know how you serve four months and get credit for two tours. Army tours were 12 months and marines were 13 months don't know what the navy and air force used for a tour. Maybe he had Gilligan on his boat and went for "a three hour tour". LOL
ss

I don't know about a silver star,but below is a bronze star with "V" device.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bronze stars can be awarded for service or for valor. The ones earned on the battlefield get a V device. If a person has more than one bronze star and they aren't all for valor he will wear the V device plus the oak leaf shown on your photo to denote how many awards he has. They start out as bronze 1-4, then silver 1-4, then gold 1-4. The most I have personally seen on a uniform was a 30 year service Regimental Sergeant Major green beret who had 3 gold oak leaf clusters and I think that meant he had 30 bronze stars. I didn't stop to ask but I've always wondered. exanimo, ss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread