Military Relic ID! HELLLLLP!

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alright guys. I have asked on every forum imaginable, from the UK to Canada...and nothing.

Someone out there must know what the heck this thing is!?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Zester76/DSC04313.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Zester76/DSC04311.jpg

I found this piece at a site that turned up military artifacts dating from the revolutionary war, to the war of 1812. All British items....including a navy button.

So...I am guessing it's British Navy...or Royal Marines.

The object itself is 1 3/4 inches wide. The back appears to be filled with lead or pewter. Much like the old rosettes that can be found. That being said, I have not heard of a naval rosette before. As you can see, it retains much of it's original gilt.

I have had a couple of suggestions from some folks...but nothing concrete. Just guesses.

It was found at a site in Ontario, Canada...on the shores of Lake Ontario. I have included pics of both sides.

Thanks for your time

Wess

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow...84 views...and not ONE idea! Heck...not one reply *hah*
Looks like I am barking up the wrong tree here.

Cammy

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2006
This may not be a lot of help because of the size , but it looks an awful lot like a plug they would put into the barrel of a naval gun.But again, if it is 1 and 3/4's of an inch probably not. Just a blurb, plus I also hate it when I post and I get no answers ! Cheers and good luck !

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, it is pretty small for that....but thanks very much for the idea, and the REPLY!! *hah* Nice to see someone is alive out there. Thanks again! :)

rovnrbl

May 26, 2003
Try this contact

Try contacting Don Troiani at [email protected] He's very knowledgeable in Rev War items. He may be able to id or point you in the right direction. Good luck.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bcs123...def. not a button. too large and heavy

Thanks for the tip. I actually contacted Don Troiani right after I found it. Unfortunately he couldn't help, as he had never seen one.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wess: There's a 1812 Brit Naval/Marine Officers Button On ebay thats somewhat similar. The Rev. Say's Dickenson. 22mm

Say's it was dug near Niagara. If yours is not a button, the style is similar.

The item # is 200021211016

Joe

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks, that much I figured...but couldn't nail exactly what the object was.

Although, I received an e-mail from a British museum telling me it is a Royal Navy Flag Officers belt plate? Dating to 1787

Thanks again everyone!

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wess: I'm glad You finally Identified your Plate. I never dreamed that Museums would monitor the TN. I guess they are looking for non_ reported Coins & Relics.

Joe

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No no Joe. Sorry for the confusion. I contacted them right after I made the find, along with quite a few other places. They JUST got back to me now however. They didn't see this on the forum. Sorry if it came out that way.

Wess

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread