What's new

Military silver content?

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2013
Messages
1,060
Reaction score
1,059
Golden Thread
0
Location
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all, pretty new here, I recently found an Army Sharpshooter medal and stamped on the back is "sterling 1 K"...Does anyone know what the silver content of this would be? I know coin silver is usually .900, and jewelery silver can be .925, but i can't seem to find out what percent is 1 K sterling, thanks in advance for any info...Tim
 
Sterling 1K means it is 100% Silver.
 
I have no idea what the 1 k refers to - but the word sterling has historically meant .925 silver content .
 
Sterling has only one meaning, 92.5% silver. The other markings are probably makers marks.
 
The '1K' could me one karat weight which would mean your medal contains 1/24 silver.
 
I agree with the ones saying 'sterling' means only one thing...92.5%. I think there is a law about it.
 
I was told or read somewhere that sterling is .925 -1.0, I don't know what the 1k means.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom