🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Military (?) Symbols on Early 20C Bracelet

on.off

Aug 1, 2014
new york city
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can somebody help ID the insignias on this bracelet? they are hand cut and engraved silver set on wood panels. they have a military look to me. found in madrid, so probably european. looking at the style and construction overall, i would guess 20s-40s vintage. any help appreciated!

IMG_3958.jpeg

IMG_3959.jpeg

IMG_3960.jpeg

IMG_3961.jpeg

I see a lot of possibilities. The crescent moon with swords and the Maltese cross are both symbols widely used in Masonic branches: The Shrine and York Rite degrees respectively. However, these are not exclusively used by Freemasonry. Many religious orders have adopted them, in various form and fashion, as well. I wouldn’t suspect the military angle, but it could be I suppose. The laurel clusters generally depict bravery/honor.

Upvote 2
I see a lot of possibilities. The crescent moon with swords and the Maltese cross are both symbols widely used in Masonic branches: The Shrine and York Rite degrees respectively. However, these are not exclusively used by Freemasonry. Many religious orders have adopted them, in various form and fashion, as well. I wouldn’t suspect the military angle, but it could be I suppose. The laurel clusters generally depict bravery/honor.
i don't know too much about militaria, freemasonry, etc. but think such things are interesting. i'm an antique jewelry collector/dealer and sometimes buy things with cool iconography. i've seen many vintage jewelry items that use real and pseudo military, masonic, heraldic, etc. symbolism in a purely decorative way. so this might just be a person or manufacturer borrowing designs from different areas without a coherent theme or connection to anything in particular.

Upvote 0
i don't know too much about militaria, freemasonry, etc. but think such things are interesting. i'm an antique jewelry collector/dealer and sometimes buy things with cool iconography. i've seen many vintage jewelry items that use real and pseudo military, masonic, heraldic, etc. symbolism in a purely decorative way. so this might just be a person or manufacturer borrowing designs from different areas without a coherent theme or connection to anything in particular.
Could be. It is still an intriguing piece. I’m glad you posted it.👍🏼

Upvote 1
To me it's just loose/artistic copies of military themed badges.

The maltese cross in the wreath. Looks like a British rifle regiment hat badge without the Crown, at first thought US Marksmanship badge without the target rings, but the cross is the wrong style.

The crossed rifles with the crescent, looks like a Turkish badge with the rifles 90 degrees off.

The bomb in the wreath looks like a Ordnance badge.

The crossed rifle and sword with the bugle looks like a Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry badge without the crown.

The crossed pistol, ? (Hand cannon) with the pole axe beats me.....Not sure on what the one item is, I know the shape and it looks like a hand cannon.

Upvote 2
thanks all. i think safe to assume it's a nonspecific decorative jewelry piece inspired by military themes. appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Interesting find. Those aren't fantasy designs. They're Spanish military badge designs (but maybe not actual badges) of the kind worn as collar insignia and look to date from the 1920s onwards. I don't recognise them all, but you have:

Spanish Legion (formed in 1920):
Spanish Legion.jpg

Spanish Medical Corps:
Spanish Medical Corps.jpg

Spanish Infantry:
Spanish Infantry.jpg

I believe the one with a flaming bomb in a wreath is an artillery regiment badge.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back