Militia heads to Oregon gold mine as tensions mount with BLM (VIDEO)

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other

4/17/15 | by Jennifer Cruz

In an event reminiscent of the standoff last year between Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy and authorities representing the Bureau of Land Management, members of the group known as Oath Keepers have began to set up camp in Josephine County, Oregon, where the owners of a mining claim have become involved in a battle over property rights with the BLM.

The current owners of the Sugar Pine mining claim, who have battled with the BLM for some time now, said their rights to the claim have been grandfathered in, passed down for well over 100 years, but according to reports from a local ABC affiliate, the BLM said the claim’s documents are outdated and since the claim has changed owners at some point in the past, those documents are now obsolete.

However, unlike the Bundy dispute, the BLM isn’t telling the claim owners they must desert their operation altogether.

Jim Whittington, with the Bureau of Land Management, said the mining operations that are currently being performed at the claim are such that require more than just a basic mining claim. Whittington said they must either cut back the operation so that it falls in line with regulations or obtain the proper documents.

However, the owners of the claim are apparently concerned that authorities will shut down their mining operation without due process, and that’s why they called in the Oath Keepers.

“Because we are a constitutional group,” said Mary Emerick with Oath Keepers. “We defend the Constitution … and we are here just to make sure that they receive their Fifth Amendment rights which is due process.”

Whittington also added that the claim owners have the right to appeal, but there’s a process which must be followed in order to do so, one that can sometimes take weeks to complete.

Furthermore, the executive committee of the Galice Mining District, where the claim in question is located, contends that the BLM is out of order in its request because the district is “a local governing body … deriving its authority from the will of the United States Congress who recognized the long standing tradition of self government among miners and granted them with the right to create and enforce local rules and regulations pertaining to the location and development of their unique mineral properties.” In other words, the mining district is its own entity, with its own government and its own laws, so the BLM has no authority over the district, which predates the BLM by decades.

The committee also noted that the claim in question is one of the oldest in the country and much of the original paperwork is no longer even entirely legible.

The BLM said they have no plans to take the claim back by force and will not step in until the proper processes have been completed. Josephine County Sheriff Dave Daniel added that although he has acted as a mediator between the two parties, the sheriff’s department will not get involved unless the situation escalates and presents a threat to public safety.

The claim owners, who have hired an attorney, have until April 25 to either comply with the requests of the BLM or file an appeal.

Upvote 0

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey RJc!! Glad to see you're back!! Missed your articles!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The co-owner of a Josephine County mining claim at the center of a land-use dispute with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management says an armed security presence by members of the Oath Keepers movement has "taken on a life of its own," and he is pleading for calm after supporters apparently phoned in threats to BLM employees.

"We don't need any more volunteers, we're not under attack, this is not the Bundy Ranch," said Sugar Pine Mine co-owner Rick Barclay. "Please stop calling the BLM and threatening their personnel."

Barclay said he and co-owner George Backes approached the Josephine County chapter of the Oath Keepers last Thursday after they were confronted April 6 at their mine, west of Merlin, by a BLM law enforcement ranger and a Josephine County sheriff's deputy serving paperwork related to a notice of noncompliance issued by the federal agency.

The BLM said it wasn't aware of any active mining on the claim, and that the men have to file a plan of operations for their mining activities or remove all of their equipment. BLM spokesman Jim Whittington said Tuesday that "every time a mining claim changes ownership, it resets." He said the mine's owners have 30 days to file operational plans or can appeal the BLM's decision.

Barclay said he maintains that he and Backes hold exclusive surface rights to the claim — which was filed before a 1955 law that made all subsequent mining claims apply to mineral rights only — and are allowed to maintain whatever mining-related equipment or structures they need to without having to file operational plans.

Sugar Pine Mine co-owner: "Please stop calling the BLM and threatening their personnel" - News - MailTribune.com - Medford, OR

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oath Keepers is a non-partisan association of current and formerly serving military, reserves, National Guard, veterans, Peace Officers, and Fire Fighters who will fulfill the Oath we swore, with the support of like minded citizens who take an Oath to stand with us, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic, so help us God.

These guys are not the ones calling/threatening BLM. This is a very organized group, do a little research on them.

Oath Keepers Josphine County Oregon

allenkeeton

Jun 26, 2014
cartersville, GA.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Assuming all of them are guilty or innocent is a fallacy. Some may very well be calling in and making threats. But it also stands to reason that without support from groups like oath keepers, the BLM would run right over the mine owners with a "what are you gonna do about it?' attitude.

Personally I side with the mine owners because they should indeed be grandfathered in.

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
they violate the very Constitution they claim to defend, They ignore Government set upby the Constitution, and violate the law by obstructing justice against lawbreakers convicted over and over by Constitutional Courts and by Constitutional due process . They are dictators wanting to govern by the GUN

Well, that sounds awfully familiar and I'm certainly not talking about the Oath Keepers...

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Originally Posted by kayakpat

they violate the very Constitution they claim to defend, They ignore Government set upby the Constitution, and violate the law by obstructing justice against lawbreakers convicted over and over by Constitutional Courts and by Constitutional due process . They are dictators wanting to govern by the GUN

Sorry, but I am not sure I see the connection. How have the miner owners been convicted or the Josephine militia group, for that matter? I think that you have made a huge overstatement from what I read here on TN and in the news. Yes, the furfural hit Drudge today, so the nation now knows about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
horseshit 6338129-a-pile-of-fresh-horse-manure-on-green-grass.jpg

DITTO

Last edited by a moderator:

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the first things President George Washington did was to take the army to put down the whisky rebellion, and FORCED them )the colonys) to pay their taxes, and also to put down the Shay Rebellion, and todaythe courts have said they are operating within the constitution against Bundy and galice is yet to be resolved.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posts deleted,......Gentlemen, keep politics out of it, politics can only be posted in our politics forum..

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry TH... Truth is, the computer made me do it...
computer-17.gif~original

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread