MINELAB EQUINOX 800

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as your warranty is good it's great but they have had some leaky units. I've had one for 4 years and no problem

Miguel314

Nov 2, 2021
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine lab Excalibur II & Mine lab Equinox 800
It works great for me I use it for shallow water hunts at the beach or intercostal where the control doesn’t go under water it does get splashed from time to time, but I did have mine leak like @nagant said. But warranty swapped it out pretty quick. So now I use the Excalibur II when I know im going im chest deep or under water. But I’ve had great luck with it.

OP
OP
D

dalouie2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2023
As long as your warranty is good it's great but they have had some leaky units. I've had one for 4 years and no probl
It works great for me I use it for shallow water hunts at the beach or intercostal where the control doesn’t go under water it does get splashed from time to time, but I did have mine leak like @nagant said. But warranty swapped it out pretty quick. So now I use the Excalibur II when I know im going im chest deep or under water. But I’ve had great luck with it.
OK THX THE REPLIES don't sound like its 100 % so thats a issue. I been out of the hobby a bit. but started shallow water again in summer temps. in Delaware I just cant get the Garrett to nail the gold. lol. been a. long time trying.

Miguel314

Nov 2, 2021
Florida
Detector(s) used
I’d look into the equinox 700 or 900 I don’t know enough about them but I do know they change the way the coil mounts and the seals supposedly to get rid of the coil ear breaking if you is it as a crutch when getting hit by waves and the leaking unit issues but they are still to new to really know enough. My friend uses a Deus II on land and in shallow water but goes back to the excal for deeper water, the Excalibur seems to work the best in the salt when it comes to falsing in the mineralized sand but have to get good with tones cause there no vdi but it is water machine so doesn’t help with versatility.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coils on the 800 fit the 7-900 machines. manticore has the new coil set up.

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d look into the equinox 700 or 900 I don’t know enough about them but I do know they change the way the coil mounts and the seals supposedly to get rid of the coil ear breaking if you is it as a crutch when getting hit by waves and the leaking unit issues but they are still to new to really know enough. My friend uses a Deus II on land and in shallow water but goes back to the excal for deeper water, the Excalibur seems to work the best in the salt when it comes to falsing in the mineralized sand but have to get good with tones cause there no vdi but it is water machine so doesn’t help with versatility.
Hi Miguel, i use to hunt the west coast alot back a few years ago, did i ever run into you, i use to hunt alot with vinnie?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to Buy equinox. Buy the new 900 rather than the 800, it is an upgraded version of the Equinox 800.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Have had 2 800s for 3 1/2 yrs of hunting west coast Florida waters. Drowned first 800 twice (real quick replacement when under warranty) but no better machine for money and it has paid for itself many, many times over. Basically replaced my CTX 3030 (drowned also 2x) and Excal 1000. Great deals on 800 now. Bought my second last yr and got free 15" coil! Lots of other free goodies, too. Shop and compare. HOWEVER, if you do mostly dirt digging, there may be better land-based machines out there since 800s sensitivity to very small (eg aluminum) targets can drive ya crazy. [note: Smaller items register lower on -9 to +40 scale, so eliminate (X) numbers below 8ish to also minimize detection of very small (>1-2mm) junk targets/trash]. But I have good results on land as well with the 800.
I like the looks of Nox 900; esp waterproofing to 5M. On waiting list for Manticure but 900 does looking appealing esp since I can use my 15" coil on the 900.

OP
OP
D

dalouie2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2023
Since I been off the hobby some time, my last detector was a whites spectrum , can I get estimate of the performance difference with the equinox 800-900. While at it can I get satisfactory results with the excalibur 1000. for shallow water ,say compared to the equinox 800/900 im leaning to the excalibur 1000 strictly for water. and then a upgrade to a land model in time. the spectrum needs screen replacement and I have a Garrett cx111 thats still working ..thx d

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I been off the hobby some time, my last detector was a whites spectrum , can I get estimate of the performance difference with the equinox 800-900. While at it can I get satisfactory results with the excalibur 1000. for shallow water ,say compared to the equinox 800/900 im leaning to the excalibur 1000 strictly for water. and then a upgrade to a land model in time. the spectrum needs screen replacement and I have a Garrett cx111 thats still working ..thx d
Eq 900 has carbon fiber shaft that collapses down to 24", 900 has the vibrating handle, a built in flashlight. 900 has 119 TID#s vs 800 has 49, 900 has higher sensitivity settings 900 28 vs 800 25, 900 has more tone programs to choose from.
1, 2, & 5 tones, all tones, and DP. (Deep which is simular to gold mode on 800).

The 900 screen has a Backlight and Red Backlight Display.

The 900 also has 5 years newer technology.

Hope that helps.

Miguel314

Nov 2, 2021
Florida
Detector(s) used
Hi Miguel, i use to hunt the west coast alot back a few years ago, did i ever run into you, i use to hunt alot with vinnie?
No I don’t think so I’ve only detected the east coast so. I only recently got into detecting been doing it about 16 months now

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the 900 to be a nice upgrade over the 800, but, they're both excellent salt water machines as well as land machines. As for depth difference, not much, but, the 900 so far seems a bit deeper and a bit better on EMI, and the added TID is welcome too. It's so much better than an XLT at a salt water beach it's really no comparison. The Excal is a great water machine too, but, it doesn't find the tiny gold like the Nox will, it's much heavier and more expensive, has no target I.D. readout (as it's sound only), and without an easy to use pin point switch and hardwired coils, it's just not as easy to use.....especially on land. The wireless headphones on the 900 are great if you have only had wired ones before. You'll need to get some wired waterproof ones for surf though as the wireless ones won't work underwater and aren't waterproof. If you're not diving, I'd recommend the 900. If diving more than 15 feet, get the Excal.

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I don’t think so I’ve only detected the east coast so. I only recently got into detecting been doing it about 16 months now
Oh, he was a good hunter, and friend, we always hunted mostly on the same beach, thanks for answering my note. Harold in Fla.

thwd12

Privateer par Excellent
Jun 29, 2018
FL
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. Would the equinox 800-900, be a good replacement for my JW Fishers Pulse 8X that I would like to sell to buy another detector? I really would like a meter like the Nokta Makro Deephunter 3D Pro that eliminates the need to dig and find trash. Gold caches in Holiday, FL is my interest.

Thank you,
Stephen

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I know, there isn't a machine made that will eliminate all trash. A Minelab 900 would be an excellent choice as a companion to your 8X PI machine, not a replacement necessarily. It will depend on where you will use it and what your will be trying to find as well as the features you desire. If you're diving deeper than 15 feet, you'll need something rated deeper than what the 900 is rated. If so, and you need/want discrimination, look at the Excalibur instead.

thwd12

Privateer par Excellent
Jun 29, 2018
FL
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I know, there isn't a machine made that will eliminate all trash. A Minelab 900 would be an excellent choice as a companion to your 8X PI machine, not a replacement necessarily. It will depend on where you will use it and what your will be trying to find as well as the features you desire. If you're diving deeper than 15 feet, you'll need something rated deeper than what the 900 is rated. If so, and you need/want discrimination, look at the Excalibur instead.
I appreciate the advice. Iam looking at a meter that will pinpoint ferrous precious metals and weeds out the trash.
Thanks,
Stephen

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know if you find one! :laughing7:

martyvem

Greenie
Jan 24, 2023
Ocean View, De
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK THX THE REPLIES don't sound like its 100 % so thats a issue. I been out of the hobby a bit. but started shallow water again in summer temps. in Delaware I just cant get the Garrett to nail the gold. lol. been a. long time trying.
I’m Marty, fairly new to detecting but also from Delaware. I live in the Bethany Beach area and it gets a little cold & windy on the beach this time of year, so I’m looking for some old properties in the area. I got permission from a property owner for an old farm, there are a couple of old storage buildings in the property but the vacant house isn’t very old. The detector I had wasn’t functioning properly so I just ordered a new one and expecting it any day. I got some recommendations on the Equinox 600 - 800 but they were just a little too pricey for me, maybe when I get more experienced! I ordered the Minelab Vanquish 540 and expecting it to be delivered today! Looking forward to it!
Happy Hunting!
Where are you near in Delaware?
Marty Schuch

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as your warranty is good it's great but they have had some leaky units. I've had one for 4 years and no problem
I talked to Minelab and they said that the percent of leaky Nox 800 was very small like less that 1%.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread