Minelab SE Pro Question

PlayingInTheDirt

Nov 17, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Nokta Fors Relic, Sunray X-1 Probe, Garrett Pro Pointer, Coiltek Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off hello all I am new to site just wanted to say hi

My question is I have used my pro about a year now found a lot of silver, clad & other items I mostly hunt coins but ever since I have had it I can't figure out what happens when I get a nice signal like a 00-31 which is a silver tone most of the time it is showing deep on the meter but I dig the plug go down and cant find nothing then I check it with detector nothing put the plug back in sometimes ill get another signal but sometimes I don't like there was nothing there to start out with. Is there something that I can do to prevent this maybe a new coil or what I just cant seem to figure it out. I find coins with it all the time but this happens just about once or twice every time I go out for a hunt. Thanks for any input & while I am at it would a 10x12 SEF coil be worth the purchase & would it give me any more depth I have the 11" DD stock coil on my detector now.

Thanks Guys & Gals:thumbsup:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you use a pinpointer ?

I never use # scaLE so I can't comment on that.

however I am wondering if your digging too shallow or to the edge .
even when there are deep coins breaking the soil can break the halo and cause signals on coins to disappear.
When a signal Disappears, I try to remember the spot, & recheck it next visit.
Sometimes it comes back When I do.

on the other hand, iron can give a coin signal off its edge also.
but unless you dig, you never know.

no detector is infallible.

as for coils, I Like my 11" DD, there is a place for smaller & larger coils, but the
Stock coil was made by Minelab engineers for the detector, Remember that :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I had this happen yesterday with the etrac. Got a jumpy signal in terms of target I'd but the sound was there, somewhat.I flipped the plug over, no signal. I started to flip the plug back into the hole, but I pulled my pinpointer out, and got a signal. It was a 1946 rosie down about 7-8 inches. Sometimes I have has this happen though and it was a very small target near the surface.

OP
OP
PlayingInTheDirt

PlayingInTheDirt

Nov 17, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Nokta Fors Relic, Sunray X-1 Probe, Garrett Pro Pointer, Coiltek Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you use a pinpointer ?

I never use # scaLE so I can't comment on that.

however I am wondering if your digging too shallow or to the edge .
even when there are deep coins breaking the soil can break the halo and cause signals on coins to disappear.
When a signal Disappears, I try to remember the spot, & recheck it next visit.
Sometimes it comes back When I do.

on the other hand, iron can give a coin signal off its edge also.
but unless you dig, you never know.

no detector is infallible.

as for coils, I Like my 11" DD, there is a place for smaller & larger coils, but the
Stock coil was made by Minelab engineers for the detector, Remember that :icon_thumright:

Yes, I use a garrett pinpointer I have dug so many holes like this and this happen I have tried everything I think it might be iron because I have dug a 16" tire size hole a few time down to at least 17"-18" and never found nothing or got a signal so I am going to say iron. I just wanted some input to see if this happens to anyone else because it happens to me everytime I go out. Thanks for reply

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Signals that are loud and indicate max depth are always suspect. Most often it is a surface object, and often not real big.
Try raising the coil while doing a series of sweeps over it, and see how far above it you still get a good hit. If you get 8" or more above it and still get a signal, it's either on the surface, or it's big deep and ugly. At that point you can either move on, or if your curiosity gets to you, you can use the side sensitivity of the Propointer by laying it on it's side on the ground and use it to sweep the surface.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off hello all I am new to site just wanted to say hi

My question is I have used my pro about a year now found a lot of silver, clad & other items I mostly hunt coins but ever since I have had it I can't figure out what happens when I get a nice signal like a 00-31 which is a silver tone most of the time it is showing deep on the meter but I dig the plug go down and cant find nothing then I check it with detector nothing put the plug back in sometimes ill get another signal but sometimes I don't like there was nothing there to start out with. Is there something that I can do to prevent this maybe a new coil or what I just cant seem to figure it out. I find coins with it all the time but this happens just about once or twice every time I go out for a hunt. Thanks for any input & while I am at it would a 10x12 SEF coil be worth the purchase & would it give me any more depth I have the 11" DD stock coil on my detector now.

Thanks Guys & Gals:thumbsup:

Without all the details involved it sounds like iron falsing. I would have to play and use it myself to be sure. You will notice more often than not good signals will repeat almost every swing. Very hard to help over a computer, sorry.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found the two most common causes of that to be: (1) What Jeff said about breaking up the halo of a coin. When it happens, dig another few inches out of the hole and test again. It should be in the pile now or at least within range of the pinpointer down in the hole. If not, it a big piece of junk down deep. (2) a highly mineralized patch of ground. Either an iron object that's totally rusted or a mineral pocket. When you dig down, you break up the patch and all the pieces just become part of the soil and get ground balanced away by your machine.

OP
OP
PlayingInTheDirt

PlayingInTheDirt

Nov 17, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found the two most common causes of that to be: (1) What Jeff said about breaking up the halo of a coin. When it happens, dig another few inches out of the hole and test again. It should be in the pile now or at least within range of the pinpointer down in the hole. If not, it a big piece of junk down deep. (2) a highly mineralized patch of ground. Either an iron object that's totally rusted or a mineral pocket. When you dig down, you break up the patch and all the pieces just become part of the soil and get ground balanced away by your machine.

I have always had that exact thought because I have tried everything that has been said to do above in the tread & nothing works so I just move on but it has always played on my mind if you know what I mean. Anyway thanks all for the reply's & now I feel better when I have to walk off from the hole without finding anything that I was getting a silver reading on because that was always tuff when you think that there might have been silver in the ground & I couldn't find it:( I love that silver & there is always a great feeling when you pull a plug to see that beauty sitting there looking at ya:) Thanks again keep'em Swinging Fellows")

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread