Minelabs Explorer SE - Man - Ive had it!

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Minelab's Explorer SE - Man - I've had it!

This ain't a short story so be warned ---

Granted, I'm new at this, yet old. I once did a lot of metal detecting back in the 80's. I went in big time! Bought me a Garrett Master Hunter with all the coils and hip mounting system. Also purchased 2 Fisher 1280s for water along with wet suit and all that stuff. Even owned Fisher's 1265-66 as backups. I found a lot of stuff and I didn't waste much time trying to figure out the technical part of it. No, the Garrett was not the most simple machine but it did what it was designed to do with a little help from me. The Explorer SE on the other hand is totally different.

I must admit I'm feeling a little foolish now having already invested a ridiculous amount of money to get up and going almost (4) weeks ago. (3) extra coils, Pelican case, (2) sets of Gray Ghost headphones, no less than (5) various digging implements, a Sun Ray attachable probe. You get the picture. I won't even mention the GPX 4000. Yes, I fell for the advertising hype. But, I also thought things had changed for the better considering new technology and such since I last participated in what use to be a relaxing sport! I realize things have not gotten better just the hype has!

Now, don't get me wrong or judge me as being a "quick gun" to go negative; I've done my time with the SE. I've now logged way over 150 hard hours with the machine and have used it from Northern New Mexico to Central Colorado! Hell, I've even slept with the dang thing hoping after a night or two I'd feel the karma! That part was actually easy. My wife's been out of the country for the last three weeks and I'm basically retired. :o

Yes, I'll agree; the Explorer SE is capable of going deeper than any detector I've ever owned but at a rather large price. What is the use of detecting coins and such at 10 plus inches if you have to dig a crater to recover your loot? At first I thought it was me, not the machine. After having pin-pointing problems with the factory 10.5 inch round I simple went to the Excelerator 4.5 x 7. It's the primary reason I recovered (5) rings, (1) silver necklace and, over 500 coins and numerous bits of brass, lead, etc. Believe me; my take represents a lot of earth moving. One digging instrument, the Lesche shark made digging a lot easier but as many of you probably know you can't dig a small hole with it. I hate digging. I also hate appearing like I'm digging to China. Nothing turns property owners off more than to see a detectorist digging huge holes no matter how well he covers them up. Trying to pin-point with the Explorer SE, I felt just like a blind man in a room of prostitutes groping for a virgin! I never knew where my hands and fingers would lead me!

Anyway, I'm a nobody so don't listen to me. But, if you do beware or be warned about the Explorer SE'S lack of pinpointing. I probably have no choice but to keep it as I don't think I can lie to sell mine.

Do this; go to Ebay and look for a used Teroso. Now look for a used Minelab. Isn't it amazing how all of the Minelab ads read "Great machine?" If they are so great then one must ask themselves "why are there so many used ones for sale?"

Boy, I really have good hind-sight vision. And, to think I thought I did my homework! What finally got my goat was attempting to use my new Excelerator 10x14 coil. I had the same pin-pointing results with it as I had with Minelab's standard 10.5 coil. After speaking to Kellyco, they did offer to replace the Excelerator suspecting it's a bad coil. In all honesty, I don't think anything is wrong with it. I'll know next week as the new one should arrive about then.

There will be those who read this and declare I am just another idiot searching for a miracle machine. Not true; all I want is to enjoy my hobby not be frustrated by it.

Incidentally, before anyone may ask; yes, I learned the manual back and forth. I know how to auto-tune the machine. I know about gain (6-7). I know about "all metal modes" both conductive and ferrous. I know how to use the Iron Mask (12-18). I know to go easy on sensitivity (12-16). Man, I've tried it all and can honestly say, "It ain't me!"

One more thing; the weight of the Explorer didn't bother me a bit until I added the Sun Ray probe and larger coil. It's not a machine, so equipped for the weak.

In hind-sight my largest regret, other than purchasing this thing is having recommended it to several other people. I honestly thought it was everything the hype promised it would be. Boy, was I ever wrong.

Getting off track just a little. Referencing Sun Ray's attached pin-pointer; it's not worth the $150 or more price tag either. Sun Ray claims it's hot only on the end. Not true. If you have one you know this. Take a coin and run it up and down the sides. It'll sing like a Sunday preacher on steroids.

Best to you,
GRB

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w/SunRay X-1, X-5 and X-8 / Whites XLT / Whites GM3
Re: Minelab's Explorer SE - Man - I've had it!

Wow.. that's a bummer. Too bad you had such a bad experience. I definitely can't agree on some of your points.. but the SE is not for everyone.

DB

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

Hello DB!
Nice to meet you! I did answer your PM by the way.

I see you own the SE yourself; what points would you not agree on? Maybe you can enlighten me as to why I can't pin-point? Am I not doing the right dance beforehand? Just so you will know, other than the pin-point problem I think it's a fabulous machine. :)

GRB

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac

Let me know when you are ready to sell it. I have the EXPII and it amazes me how deep these machines will go.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rob, I do not own EX SE, but do own Excal, I am curious. Did you try building a coin garden with golf tees drectly over the test objects? Where on the coil is it when you are over your target?

On my Excal when I hit a target tone if I back up and then put coil almost on ground and push it forward, first strong tone I get is on the front of the coil when it is directly over target. Maybe it works the same.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

GoldenRoyBoy said:
Hello DB!
Nice to meet you! I did answer your PM by the way.

I see you own the SE yourself; what points would you not agree on? Maybe you can enlighten me as to why I can't pin-point? Am I not doing the right dance beforehand? Just so you will know, other than the pin-point problem I think it's a fabulous machine. :)

GRB

I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble pinpointing, but i am willing to try to help if i can. what i do is i go into the pinpoint mode with the coil to the side of the target. if you think about the way the dd coil works it is sending a signal into the ground like a knife edge right down the center of the coil vertically. knowing this, i sweep the coil across the target and narrow down the area like you normally would. then i move over to the side so i am sweeping at a right angle to the last sweep and further narrow down the area. almost always the target is dead in the middle of the coil. it takes a bit of practice but once you visualise how the signal from the coil is going into the ground it becomes quite easy. perhaps you could practice by putting a coin under a piece of cardboard and testing it out. once you get the pinpointing thing down the SE becomes one hell of a machine! ( in a good way!) ;)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Trying to pin-point with the Explorer SE, I felt just like a blind man in a room of prostitutes groping for a virgin! I never knew where my hands and fingers would lead me!
This cracked me up..

Treasure Hunter said it best to back up the coil and slowly scoot it forward and at the first sound, the coin is just off the tip of the coil. It's the way I do it anyway because it's faster. Those ones selling all the used Minelabs must be the same people that can't set the blinking clocks on the VCR's. Once you get the hang of the pinpointing, you'll love it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman, it is really nice to have you back here with your vast knowledge posting again. I missed you. ;D

It was one of your posts that I read the tip on pinpointing. My apologies for not saying "per Sandman"... ;)

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used

Nice tip on the edge (I'll have to try that out!). I still pinpoint to the center of the coil myself.

I think one of the big issues with people learning the pinpointing, is the nature of 'false' good signals due to the hot edge of the coil.

You can get the good fluty tone, but pinpoint draws you 'away' from where you thought. If I dug where the fluty tone was, I'd be digging nothing, because the target was away and was 'big' iron close to where I was. When I was first starting, it was driving me crazy. Now if I feel a draw, I pull out of pinpoint and swing over where it wanted me to dig.. and I'll get the thud thud thud tone. Learning that stopped my insanity.

I also think this might be an issue with larger coils. I pretty much use the 8" full time, and do my fine tuned picking with the 5". I should put on the stock 10.5 to see I notice it more.

DB

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

Hello Guys!
Thanks for all the support, show of concern and suggestions; it means a lot to me.

Several of you have made suggestions regarding pinpointing from the coil's edge not supported by Minelab's SE manual. Now, I find that a tad odd. However, just the same I will give it a go.

Just so you'll know, yes I'm of the old school. I learned a long time ago to find dead center by motion (sliding the coil right to left then north to south). The procedure works with the SE although not as exact as lets say my old Garrett Master Hunter. I know also about locating the proximity of the target using the before mentioned procedure "then" moving the coil to the side, hitting PINPOINT "then" moving back over where the target is thought to be. All of this works great in theory but the target is never in the center of the coil. At least for me. In fact, there is no consistency "to where the target is" beneath the coil. This is the part which I find so frustrating. Please remember I didn't just unwrap this machine! I've used it and used it a lot. I have a habit of keeping everything I dig. I mentioned the goodies. I also have a six gallon bucket aready 3/4s full of all the junk. If I had a dollar for every hole I've dug over the past 4 weeks I certainly would not be complaining near as loud. :)

GRB

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

With the dfx it is from what i heard not as deep..but i can tell you one thing..the pinpointing is deadly! ;)

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE

Goldenroyboy, I feel your frustration. I have envisioned throwing my SE of a large cliff many, many times. I have much less time with mine than you do, 40 hrs, but I am slowly seeing the light. Pinpointing was a BITCH until I got the hang of it. Now I can pinpoint with ease. I have no problem identifying and digging targets up to 6". My current challenge is to learn what a good deep target sounds like versus a bad target. The light really didn't illuminate much until I took it to the beach for about 8 hrs (two different days). I really excelled at pinpointing and learned that the "flute" sound I am hearing is many times just one target. Forever I was was thinking, man there must be six different things in the ground (obviously you can see I didn't pay much attention on air tests, hehe). To my surprise I would dig and find one pull tab. Another thing that GREATLY helped was to forget the following: Conduct mode, auto sens and use zero discrimination. Basically my set up that works for me is to run ferrous, manuan sens at 20 to 22, zero discrimination, variability and limits at 8 or 7, volume and thres at audible levels, gain 5 or 6. It's pretty easy to differentiate the iron targets from other ones. Now I have been known, and still do dig large craters trying to get that illusive silver. I can't say that I have found any silver (with the SE) but I have dug my share of Wheaties and nickels. I know it is just a matter of time and practice until I start digging good targets. The one thing that has meant most to me out of all the help I have received is to allow yourself to bend to the machine not the other way around. The SE is sooo different than my White's 6000 Pro (which is on ebay as I write this). I'm in no way an expert or even a novice but I am smart enough to see that this machine has potential if I will only learn it's ways. Go to findmall.com and look up mike(virginiabeach). He knows his stuff, DB too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It says nothing in my manual on the Excal either about the target being on the very edge of the coil when I hear the tone as I slowly move forward to pinpoint after finding the target. It was Sandman who turned me on to that tip and I found it works more then 75% of the time. (I can't tell you how many times the target was 5 inches in front of the center of the coil where I thought it was before I got the tip from Sandman)

It probably would work 100% of the time if I remembered to always do it. My problem is I use the Excal for water and the Whites 6000 PRO XL for the local city parks and since I do both every week I sometimes forget to switch my pinpoint method from the 6000 to the Minelab.

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used

keithinvestigations said:
Goldenroyboy, I feel your frustration. I have envisioned throwing my SE of a large cliff many, many times. I have much less time with mine than you do, 40 hrs, but I am slowly seeing the light. Pinpointing was a BITCH until I got the hang of it. Now I can pinpoint with ease. I have no problem identifying and digging targets up to 6". My current challenge is to learn what a good deep target sounds like versus a bad target. The light really didn't illuminate much until I took it to the beach for about 8 hrs (two different days). I really excelled at pinpointing and learned that the "flute" sound I am hearing is many times just one target. Forever I was was thinking, man there must be six different things in the ground (obviously you can see I didn't pay much attention on air tests, hehe). To my surprise I would dig and find one pull tab. Another thing that GREATLY helped was to forget the following: Conduct mode, auto sens and use zero discrimination. Basically my set up that works for me is to run ferrous, manuan sens at 20 to 22, zero discrimination, variability and limits at 8 or 7, volume and thres at audible levels, gain 5 or 6. It's pretty easy to differentiate the iron targets from other ones. Now I have been known, and still do dig large craters trying to get that illusive silver. I can't say that I have found any silver (with the SE) but I have dug my share of Wheaties and nickels. I know it is just a matter of time and practice until I start digging good targets. The one thing that has meant most to me out of all the help I have received is to allow yourself to bend to the machine not the other way around. The SE is sooo different than my White's 6000 Pro (which is on ebay as I write this). I'm in no way an expert or even a novice but I am smart enough to see that this machine has potential if I will only learn it's ways. Go to findmall.com and look up mike(virginiabeach). He knows his stuff, DB too.

Wow! That's great to hear that you're starting to get the hang of it. I know the road for you was a rocky one, and glad you see the potential. More finds will come once you get your tones and zones down! I'm also glad you're finding nickels... I've said this many times.. the SE is unbelievable on nickels.

Curious.. are you using smartFind or Digital?

DB

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

Hey Guys!
I spent the night cuddling my SE, needing-yearning-burning; to share it's secrets! I love you Miss EX-SE - i LOVE you GIRL! Yep, I'm trying to see things in a better light; it is only a detector, right? Does anyone make a wig for this thing?

In all seriousness, I think the Explorer SE is a marvelous piece of fortune finding equipment. If I can solve this pinpointing dilemma, I think I'll be a cool headphone wearing Poppa. It does appear many of you have solved the riddle; I can too. I'm a determined old fart. So, I'll figure this thing out or hang it on the celler wall where it will join other mis-guided adventure seeking tokens of time not wisely spent.

Question. By all the information I'm gathering from you guys, as well as other on line searching and study it does appear the Explorer SE and Quattro are "DD coils only" technology. Am I wrong on this? I know there are other brands of coils "designed" to fit the Explorer. Of course I already have two Excelerators. Has anyone found a coil which works the best on the Explorer SE? If so, would you mind sharing your secrets? I'm not a large coil fan but I do like options.

A side note; even Minelab's manual warns "In pinpoint, the detector locks onto the strongest target signal, which may result in missing targets in trashy areas!" This confirms what, I believe Tonly or Angel stated above and is the culprit of the problem no doubt. Other than stopping, changing to a smaller coil to lock in "on the correct target" what other options are there but to dig like a moonshine swigging grave digger?

Regarding digging depth preference; sure, I'd love to find everything lying on top the ground. Ain't gonna happen of course. I don't mind digging "if I know there is something worthwhile down there somewhere, even junk!" I detest diggings which result in nothing and that is exactly what I have been experiencing. I have no option but to refill the hole, pinpoint again and dig again. The Explorer SE is always correct; there is something down there. It's just a matter of locating it. Now, do I dig east-west-north-south or pack it up and go home my head hung in shame?

Hey DB!
I'm unsure if or not your question regarding display is intended for me or someone else. I prefer exploded digital in all metal mode but have found myself of late switching to SmartFind just to see where the crosshairs fall. I am finding nickels and the enevitable pull tabs. Some things have not changed since the 80s! :)

Thanks Guys!
GRB

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE

DetectorBase said:
keithinvestigations said:

Wow! That's great to hear that you're starting to get the hang of it. I know the road for you was a rocky one, and glad you see the potential. More finds will come once you get your tones and zones down! I'm also glad you're finding nickels... I've said this many times.. the SE is unbelievable on nickels.

Curious.. are you using smartFind or Digital?

DB

Thanks DB. One of the things that helped me was to try and learn the tones. I went from digital to smartfind so as not to get too caught up on numbers. Now, I force myself to concentrate on the tones and then look at the display. Since I have gained that discipline, I have gone back to digital. I prefer numbers as opposed to guessing on the smartfind screen.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Reading the manual does not mean you understand all there is to know about the detector. To truly learn a machine you have to use it. I suggest getting a good probe, a nice brass one 12" with a hard handle. Use this to find where the target is after you pin point it with your detector. Compare your marked spot with the actual one. By the way the X method described in the manual is the most consistently accurate. The waggle method is good if you get good at it but never as accurate as the X method. Just try, try and try again. You will get better or you will wrap your detector around a tree. Either way problem solved.

Ed D.

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used

GoldenRoyBoy said:
Hey Guys!
I spent the night cuddling my SE, needing-yearning-burning; to share it's secrets! I love you Miss EX-SE - i LOVE you GIRL! Yep, I'm trying to see things in a better light; it is only a detector, right? Does anyone make a wig for this thing?

In all seriousness, I think the Explorer SE is a marvelous piece of fortune finding equipment. If I can solve this pinpointing dilemma, I think I'll be a cool headphone wearing Poppa. It does appear many of you have solved the riddle; I can too. I'm a determined old fart. So, I'll figure this thing out or hang it on the celler wall where it will join other mis-guided adventure seeking tokens of time not wisely spent.

Question. By all the information I'm gathering from you guys, as well as other on line searching and study it does appear the Explorer SE and Quattro are "DD coils only" technology. Am I wrong on this? I know there are other brands of coils "designed" to fit the Explorer. Of course I already have two Excelerators. Has anyone found a coil which works the best on the Explorer SE? If so, would you mind sharing your secrets? I'm not a large coil fan but I do like options.

A side note; even Minelab's manual warns "In pinpoint, the detector locks onto the strongest target signal, which may result in missing targets in trashy areas!" This confirms what, I believe Tonly or Angel stated above and is the culprit of the problem no doubt. Other than stopping, changing to a smaller coil to lock in "on the correct target" what other options are there but to dig like a moonshine swigging grave digger?

Regarding digging depth preference; sure, I'd love to find everything lying on top the ground. Ain't gonna happen of course. I don't mind digging "if I know there is something worthwhile down there somewhere, even junk!" I detest diggings which result in nothing and that is exactly what I have been experiencing. I have no option but to refill the hole, pinpoint again and dig again. The Explorer SE is always correct; there is something down there. It's just a matter of locating it. Now, do I dig east-west-north-south or pack it up and go home my head hung in shame?

Hey DB!
I'm unsure if or not your question regarding display is intended for me or someone else. I prefer exploded digital in all metal mode but have found myself of late switching to SmartFind just to see where the crosshairs fall. I am finding nickels and the enevitable pull tabs. Some things have not changed since the 80s! :)

Thanks Guys!
GRB

I personally like the SunRay X-8 Stealth coil. It's an 8" coil that gives you good depth and target separation. I know that pinpointing was much easier with the 8" for me. The double D is a great coil and gives you a different 'view' than 'normal' coils.. which can get you an edge as well.

On the pinpoint in trashy area.. you can hear multiple targets in pinpoint. The signal will rise, then dip then rise. That's two targets. I don't change coils on a per target basis. I like to work an area with the 8" and determine how trashy things are. If it's pretty trashy, I'll come back the next day and work it with the 5". I usually find a old coin or two that I missed with the 8".

Once you get the pinpointing down.. you'll be amazed why you had trouble with it. I'm dead on accurate and quick now.

DB

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used

Here is a thread where I documented my learning process with the SE.

http://forums.detectorbase.com/showthread.php?t=51

I touch upon pinpointing, depth gauge, and general settings. Sounds like you have a good grasp on most of the items I addressed, but might be worth a read.

Thanks!
DB

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

I use the EXII but they pretty much pinpoint the same way. I pinpoint like everyone else has said except backwards. Here is why: I put a piece of white tape on the back, center edge of the 10 inch DD coil. When I locate a good target I swing the coil over the target until the sound disappears and I know that the target is just outside of the coil where the white tape on the coil is located. It works for me. Just something else to try and see if it would work for you. Good Luck.

Cal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread