Minelabs Explorer SE - Man - Ive had it!

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Re: Minelab's Explorer SE - Man - I've had it!

I went out early this morning, having located a new 14" round coil a buddy of mine had. I drove 35 miles north to a little town I know. There use to be a concession stand on the east side of town. I took along my 4.5 x 7 Excelerator coil too; it was a good idea. I found where the old stand once was and immediately started digging coins. Nothing old but, a lot of coins. I also used the 14" inch coil on a nearby field. Believe it or not, pinpointing pinpointed! So, I don't know what is going on. I ended up with 79 coins including a $500 Mexican coin. Strange, not a single piece of jewelry. Here's a breakdown:

Pennies - 40
Nickels --5
Dimes ---14
Quarters-19
$500 Mex Coin-1

Thanks for your patience, your guidance, and your time!
You've all been a big help!

GBR

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Well sorry to hear you dont like the se.
I have the 1st 2 explorers and i love them.I also bought the after market pinpointer and it has saved me a ton of time.
If i ever get the money i will buy an SE.

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE

I can say this. After having and selling the Explorer SE. Its my favorite detector. The biggest problem that I've notice people have is sweep speed. The Explorer SE takes a much slower sweep speed to acquire targets than a comparable minelab or garrett. This is even more true if you have it set to deep search. Also as far as pinpointing goes I've always been a firm believer in two passes over the offending target where the strongest signal at the center of the swings is "x" marks the spot. I usually do this and then dig a small hole followed by a vibra probe and I'm right on the money.

Also in my experience the Exp SE finds shallow objects just as well as it finds deep ones. I wish my biggest issue was finding too many deep OLD things. Thats a good problem to have.

Last but not least I travel alot and I can't say I know of another detector that can handle as many different soil conditions as the Exp SE. I've been from beaches to deserts to mountains to tundra and it hasn't failed me.

I'd suggest if you didn't get a dvd with the detector you get a copy of the exp SE dvd from minelab.

Chris Clark MO

Greenie
Jun 10, 2005
Mid MO
Detector(s) used
F-75, Nautilus
GoldenRoyBoy, I'm glad you are figuring it out. When I first started using

Explorers, I hated them. They are so alien in the way they operate compared to what many of us are use to or used when we got started. I want to personally thank all of those that did with me, as they are doing with you now, and and kept me going with it. In my humble opinion, it is the best detector out there right now, for what it's made for.

Do like others have said...set the coil down of center from the target and push the pinpoint button when you have a threshold hum. That works for me. All of us have had to relearn the pinpointing with the SE. At first, I liked the Exp. ll pinpointing better, but now the SE does it fine. Here is a review I did on the Exp. ll; maybe it will help:

First off...I have tried most detectors. Even when I start liking another detector, I go out with the Explorer again... and it amazes me again. In my opinion, this is probably the best overall detector made for FINDING items in the ground at depth. When I first got/used the Exp. ll, I was ready to wrap it around a tree. The thing was constant noise!!! Now, I'd hate to be without it. I had a lot of encouragement from friends to give it time. Boy were they right! Rather than bore you with my stories, I want to give some prospective Exp. owners a few opinions and pointers...

If you are impatient and/or just a casual coin hunter, don't bother. There are a lot of light, short learning curve, detectors that will do well. Click the back arrow and look at something else.

Now, those of you still here, here goes...

The Exp. machine is superior to others in most conditions. Minerals don't seem to affect it. Get the probe. It helps locate targets in a deep hole.

Know that when you get the Exp, it will take time...it has a steep learning curve and by that let me say the learning curve doesn't mean alot to learn. It means it takes a good while for your brain to process and understand what you are hearing in the ground and know a good signal when you hear it.

Next, You HAVE TO HUNT SLOW!!! I can't say this enough. Slow means slower. Alot of the noise people complain about hearing is just all of the junk in the ground and going over it too fast. The slower you go, the more separated the sounds are, and easier to pick out.

The Exp. is very versitale, but not complicated. Once you get it set the way you want to hunt, it is pretty much a "turn on and go" machine. It is great in the ground or on the beach.

Again, if you are just wanting the 4-5" coins, most all machines will do that. If you are wanting to find coins the other detectors can't reach, the Exp. is for you. Just yesterday, I found a ring and two wheaties at about 7-8" (highly mineralized) in an old park in a small area that has been POUNDED FOR YEARS!!! I went slower than slow and was rewarded for doing that.

The Exp. is heavy. I recommend shortening the rods and hunt closer to your feet. In other words, don't extend the detector out in front of you. Or get a bungie strap to help hold it. Make sure you have NO metal in your shoes!

Once learned, this detector will increase your finds and go for the old stuff. It will, and has to, take time to learn it. There are no short cuts. Your brain has to have time hearing the machine's sounds to reprogram itself in to knowing how to, and when to, recognize a signal and what it means. That WILL NOT happen over night.

For those of you that want the best...this is what it takes. If you quit too soon, that's OK...it is just more for us other Explorer owners. The forums have a wealth of info and many users to help anyone. The only reason I scored it at four stars is because it is a little heavy. Good luck to you and Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

Hello Guys!
Great contributions of ideas and suggestions!
I'm learning from all of you and am determined to conquer Miss Little S E!
I'm changing my attitude also; not regreting my purchase nearly as much as when I posted this thread.
Many thanks "MINDHUNTER" for the Tiny Pic Link; it really helped a lot! :)

"THE GAL'S READY FOR NIGHTY NIGHT TIME BLINGED BANG GO!"
52ozrlh.jpg

"SHE'S PACKING LOADED!"
6h57zps.jpg
/center]​

fd3615

Jan 25, 2007
California - Solano County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 Probe

I am glad to see you changed your mind...

I just got off the phone with my local minelab / whites / garret / tesoro dealer... I think i am sold on the SE..

Keep us posted with all your finds..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread