Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I dug up this oval piece at the 1830's property. It is some sort of silver plated metal, and is about 2" tall. The back is hollow (follows the contour of the front). Looks like a lady wearing armor and a winged helmet. Lady Mercury?
Any idea age, what this was, or who that is supposed to be on the front?
Should make a nice display piece.
Thank you,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 6,218
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 5,238

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Re: Lady Mercury?

Gypsyheart said:
I dont think its Minerva......Minerva didnt have wings on her helmet [quote/] ......................I agree with Gypsyheart. Hermes(Greek) was the only one associated with the winged-helemt, who later became Mercury(Roman)stvn.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Roma.jpg
    Roma.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 2,926
  • Roma1.jpg
    Roma1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2,999
Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: MINERVA (?) - Roman Goddess of War - 1800's piece

A woman .... a Goddess ..... A helmet with wings .....could be her .....?

Upvote 0

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods

If I look at them side by side, Roma's profile nose is 50% larger than Herme's nose. stvn.

Upvote 0

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT

ModernMiner said:
I want to thank everyone for the replies on this mystery woman piece, and especially the TN mods.
I never thought I'd make a banner find, but I was wrong. Very cool. Thank you.
Hopefully we can figure out just exactly who this Goddess is.
True story.....When I was out there hunting yesterday, I wasn't finding much at first and was getting a bit discouraged. I started talking to my Dad (actually to myself) who passed away in August. I said "come on Dad show me a sign that you are watching me, and help me find something good." Well, I'm thinking this may have been that sign. I know, I'm crazy, right? ;D
He used to love it when I would e-mail him pictures of what I found in my TN posts. I really miss those
times now.

Pictures of the back to follow.
Thanks TN folks.
-MM-

Dear Doug

Sorry for the death of your father. The loss of a loved one is always painful and yet now he is free to assist you and others in future endeavors. Heaven is freedom from the duality of Earth.

I lost a son of 29 a few years ago and he comes around to assist me whenever i think of him. It is a heart warming to know that life continues.

HH

Sanat

Upvote 0

mydniteoil

Jan 9, 2008

What an exciting find! You may have....a walking cane topper. Themes of this nature found their way into a lot of post- and pre- Napoleanic fashion items. The back of the item (which is lovely by the way) indicates it might have been set onto a slightly concave surface such as a cane or even an inverted sort of large hat pin or hair pin, possibly a portion of a large book-book mark, (which would have been like a very heavy type of gross grain ribbon or kid leather. Sometimes a "Dandy" of the era would sport a large watch fob, all which were also very popular in the early 1800's. Just a thought... and I believe very much it is Minerva/Athena. My last thought is... the emblem from a carriage, I have noted many a fine ornament on fancy liveries. Such a thing could easily "go to ground" and be unnoticed if it separated from its' backing.

Any way, enjoy!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sanat said:
ModernMiner said:
I want to thank everyone for the replies on this mystery woman piece, and especially the TN mods.
I never thought I'd make a banner find, but I was wrong. Very cool. Thank you.
Hopefully we can figure out just exactly who this Goddess is.
True story.....When I was out there hunting yesterday, I wasn't finding much at first and was getting a bit discouraged. I started talking to my Dad (actually to myself) who passed away in August. I said "come on Dad show me a sign that you are watching me, and help me find something good." Well, I'm thinking this may have been that sign. I know, I'm crazy, right? ;D
He used to love it when I would e-mail him pictures of what I found in my TN posts. I really miss those
times now.

Pictures of the back to follow.
Thanks TN folks.
-MM-

Dear Doug

Sorry for the death of your father. The loss of a loved one is always painful and yet now he is free to assist you and others in future endeavors. Heaven is freedom from the duality of Earth.

I lost a son of 29 a few years ago and he comes around to assist me whenever i think of him. It is a heart warming to know that life continues.

HH
Sanat

Thank you Sanat.
I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your son. That had to have been devastating to you.
-MM-

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mydniteoil said:
What an exciting find! You may have....a walking cane topper. Themes of this nature found their way into a lot of post- and pre- Napoleanic fashion items. The back of the item (which is lovely by the way) indicates it might have been set onto a slightly concave surface such as a cane or even an inverted sort of large hat pin or hair pin, possibly a portion of a large book-book mark, (which would have been like a very heavy type of gross grain ribbon or kid leather. Sometimes a "Dandy" of the era would sport a large watch fob, all which were also very popular in the early 1800's. Just a thought... and I believe very much it is Minerva/Athena. My last thought is... the emblem from a carriage, I have noted many a fine ornament on fancy liveries. Such a thing could easily "go to ground" and be unnoticed if it separated from its' backing.

Any way, enjoy!

That is some great info. Very much appreciated.
Welcome to TN.
-MM-

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Roma - 100%

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Upvote 0

Caps and Bottles

Mar 29, 2008
SouthEast Mass
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dug this up about 2 months ago in frozen ground. Montana Jim read my post and linked me to yours, looks like we came across something similar.
Minerva.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Caps and Bottles said:
Dug this up about 2 months ago in frozen ground Montana Jim read my post and linked me to yours, looks like we came across something similar.
Minerva.jpg

C & B,
Two beautiful pieces you found. Very cool.
-MM-

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hate to drag this old post out of the archives again, but I may FINALLY have an ID on this lady. Just by accident last night I was trying to find info on the jeton that TY just posted. After a Google search on jetons, this picture popped up, and it is an exact match for the lady on my piece. Looks like she is French afterall.
Here's who the site says she is, and here are a few jeton pieces with her on them. Mine is NOT a jeton, but has the same French lady on it.
Marianne (personification of France),
FINALLY a match!!! :thumbsup:
-MM-

Attachments

• E0192.jpg
    E0192.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,397
  • France-Roty-Ministre.jpg
    France-Roty-Ministre.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,445
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions