Mini Anvil found on Central Cal. beach...

A

acethebathound

Newbie here...hello!

I found a miniature anvil that had washed up on the beach this past weekend (Montana de Oro, San Luis Obispo County California).

It appears to be hand-cast (definately not a manufactured product) out of lead. It has quite a bit of what appears to be salt deposits on it. It is appx. 2" tall and 4" long.

I know nothing about sea-faring, but can assume that a mini-anvil would have come in handy on an old ship. Since it is apparently hand-cast out of lead and not forged in iron, I also assume it to be pretty old.

Does anyone have any ideas? Did I find a piece of history? Regardless, it is a unique and fun find.

I don't have any pics now, but if it would help I can post a scan of it later today/tomorrow.

Thanks!

OP
OP
A

acethebathound

Here's a pic...I was a little over on my measurements estimate-

It's 3" long and the top is a little more than 1/2" wide (a bit wider on the base).

Anvil.jpg

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard the Forum, It looks more like a slightly encrusted boat cleat.

Q

OP
OP
A

acethebathound

Thanks for the replies!

I thought ?cleat? first too...there are no points of attachment though...how would it have been attached?

I don?t know how to check if it?s lead or not, but it definately isn?t iron since there is no rust...what else could it be made of?

Any guesses as to age?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most likely its made of pot metal,pot metal is heavy like lead but very brittle,if you hit it with a hammer it will shatter,some of those old styrofoam sailboats like the kool ciggerette boats had cheaper pot metal cleats on them.cleats nowadays are either made of steel,brass,and sometimes chromed.

OP
OP
A

acethebathound

Thanks Fisheye...It could be pot metal. I don't wanna hit it w/ a hammer to find out though!

I'm still not fully convinced it's a cleat though...it's shape is not uniform (it's longer on one end then the other) and there are no attachment points or breakage points (where an attachment may have broke off)

I hypothesise that it is an anvil and that it may have been used to bend fishing hooks, and not necessarily used as a striking surface (it is too small for large strikes anyways), but that is all pure un-edumicated speculation! ???

Thanks all for your help!

OP
OP
A

acethebathound

Sorry Cornelius...I'll come back with more info later. I'll let you all know what I find out!

I'm new to this, mostly just a rock-hound (was looking for jade when I found this)...I didn't think it would be so tough a nut to crack!

Didn't mean to be so vague.

S

SASQUASH

Hay ace lets see some of that Jade. I was just up in Morro Bay found lots of Jade. I have been tumbling mine. Just about done. Have you seen any Moon stones.

OP
OP
A

acethebathound

Sasquatch...Lotsa great rocks up this way! Cool that you've been up here! I can never go to the beach without coming home with pockets full of rocks! I'll scan some pics and post them here when I get a chance! I'd love to see some of your tumbled Jade...I haven't gotten a tumbler yet but would love to soon.

Found a nice Moonstone a couple months ago...there's also a "Moonstone Beach" up here that I've been meaning to check out but haven't had the chance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread