Mini cache

midus1

Jul 8, 2003
Alexandria, Ky
Good find

Always great to find several coins in same hole. My only one so far was 5 quarters and a dime. ( all clad).

HH

Attachments

• SAM_1179.JPG
    SAM_1179.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 25
  • SAM_1191.JPG
    SAM_1191.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 28

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Cached clad

Yep, I've found two rolls of mem cents in one park in this town, found one stack of IH/wheats in another that went from 1898 forward for 20 consecutive years, no key coins there. Found a stack of 10 wheats from the thirties in yet another. Also found one stack of 4 qtrs/3 dimnes from the 50's in another. It's a real kicker when you hit one, but it sure would be nice to find a little more than the pocket change's worth of a stash.

My favorite caches are the ones on the beach where it appears someone put all their change in one spot so as not to lose it...

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
I've found three "changepurse" caches in my 5 yrs. of detecting.
All had several coins plus pieces of leather and a zipper from the purse, which was rotted away. Has anyone else found one of these?

One purse was 12 inches deep and contained 18 coins- 1908-D barber quarter, 1913 barber dime, and 16 indians and wheats 1886 to 1916. The pennies were all stuck together in a corroded mass, which was too bad, because they were good ones. Another purse contained a 1923 mercury dime, 1919-S standing quarter, and 10 or so wheats. The third one contained two badly corroded Buffalo nickels and four pennies.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I found a handful of pennies below some metal stairs of a school yard once. I would remove a penny and the MD would keep sounding off. I am like, when is this gonna end?

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hockeyplayer said:
I have seen posts on this forum of various caches found. This AM I was out in a school yard and in one hole found 9 clad dimes. Not silver (darn) but a lot of fun.

I was doing some night detecting tonight in a park and at about 10:20 or so I hit a mini cache of 5 dimes (clad). It was definately a ton of fun because it was the 1st interesting find in more than a month....

Congrats!

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a lot of fun to find all in one hole.... umm wonder if they are not kids burying there pocket money? or coin rolls?

Excuse the ignorance..... what is this clad that all talk about? I did ask once before but got no answer ::)

God bless
Peter

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Always nice to find more than one in a whole. Best drop of coins I have found was three silver washington quarters, two mercs, two rossies, and a few nickels and pennies all in one hole. The other day I found two buffalo's in a what was left of a small leather purse. Still waiting for the purse with the gold coin....Lance

Jan 14, 2006
Marion, Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Prism III
To Pgill:In the US the mint stopped making the coins of silver after 1964 and instead made I think half silver and half some other metal like nickel so these clad coins are legal tender but do not have agreater value unless only a few were minted or it was mistruck. Mike F

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds-really gets your heart pounding-- Ive' found 3 like yours; 1st was a coin purse in a park which had 2-40's merc's, 6 early wheats and 3 bfflo's Another was a roll of wheats in an abandoned 1 room school-house yard, largest was a spill in an old farm yard, 7 silver washington .25's, 1 standing Lib, 3-merc's, and a Bufflo. They just kept on coming out of the ground! I love hits like these.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread