jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted a 1854 old fort site and this , at first I thought it was a minie ball but it looks different. Any help IDENTIFYING this 20190526_090355.jpg20190526_120937.jpg20190526_122202.jpg20190526_120946.jpg20190526_122213.jpg

Upvote 0
Could be Confederate .58Screenshot_20190526-123523.jpg

It's a minie ball...but a darn weird one. It looks like casting has failed in some way. I have no idea what kind it is though without checking my book.

It does have the look of a 'Georgia Teat Variant' but that long skirt ??? & Big Teat ! ; Is the teat lead as well ? (re-cut mold is possible.)

Also has the Gardener Look along with a Sharps Variant look.

Maybe an experimental type ?

No matter , it's a good looking bullet & I'd "LOVE" to have it in my collection.

A 'Shout Out ' to TheCannonBallGuy may be in order.

Ill keep an eye on this one .

P.S. Of course precise measurements + weight in grains , will help.

Last edited:
Very nice, I'm new this detector hobby. I have found lead ball while hunting arrowheads, that were id'd as probably indian shot for their rifles. Here in Ga. there were Indians until as late as 1820's and they were well assimilated and neighbors with the white settlers from late 1700's. There was no Civil war activity closer than 40 miles from my area, closer than at Dalton Ga..

Last edited:
Very nice, I'm new this detector hobby. I have found lead ball while hunting arrowheads, that were id'd as probably indian shot for their rifles. Here in Ga. there were Indians until as late as 1820's and they were well assimilated and neighbors with the white settlers from late 1700's. There was no Civil war activity closer than 40 miles from my area, closer than at Dalton Ga..

Ill make it short as not to "stomp" on jimzz977's Thread .

As you likely know , Try to hit all the home-sites (after this Heat ) as the Soldiers went home , deserted , passed through .GL

Jimzz927, the finder of the unidentified Minie-bullet, has not yet answered Davers' 26-hours-old question, "Is the teat lead as well?"... so, the answer is very important information. I'm re-asking the question because the "teat" looks quite unusual, being unlike any bullet-base teat I've seen previously. So, I'm wondering if it is actually part of the lead bullet or a piece of "foreign matter" that somehow is lodged in the bullet's base-cavity.

Although the "teat" makes this bullet sorta resemble a Confederate Augusta (Georgia) Arsenal "teat-base" bullet (see the photo helpfully posted by Davers), it has a much shorter nose and "taller" base than those types do.

A bullet's dig-location is often important for determining its correct identification. This one's finder lives in New Mexico. A lot of "weird" (extremely unusual) civil war era bullets have come from what at that time was called the Trans-Mississippi Department. That area received comparatively few military supplies from the more-Eastern armies, and thus had to provide their own locally-made supplies. Particularly on the Confederate side, that is why relic-diggers in that part of the country find several varieties of "oddball" bullets which never got sent east of the Mississippi River.

If this bullet does indeed have an integral lead teat in its base-cavity, it is definitely Confederate. The yankees never made any teat-base minies. (Note, the teat-base Sharps is not a Minie-type bullet.)

Jimzz927, let me suggest you post the photos of your interesting "oddball" Minie in the Civil War Projectiles forum at bulletandshell.com. The "Trans-Mississippi" bullet collectors there would like to see it... and they can tell you whether others EXACTLY like yours have been found. Those guys are going to ask you for very-precise measurements (made by using a caliper/micrometer) of your bullet's diameter and length, so please include that info when you post the photos.

Jimzz927, the finder of the unidentified Minie-bullet, has not yet answered Davers' 26-hours-old question, "Is the teat lead as well?"... so, the answer is very important information. I'm re-asking the question because the "teat" looks quite unusual, being unlike any bullet-base teat I've seen previously. So, I'm wondering if it is actually part of the lead bullet or a piece of "foreign matter" that somehow is lodged in the bullet's base-cavity.

Although the "teat" makes this bullet sorta resemble a Confederate Augusta (Georgia) Arsenal "teat-base" bullet (see the photo helpfully posted by Davers), it has a much shorter nose and "taller" base than those types do.

A bullet's dig-location is often important for determining its correct identification. This one's finder lives in New Mexico. A lot of "weird" (extremely unusual) civil war era bullets have come from what at that time was called the Trans-Mississippi Department. That area received comparatively few military supplies from the more-Eastern armies, and thus had to provide their own locally-made supplies. Particularly on the Confederate side, that is why relic-diggers in that part of the country find several varieties of "oddball" bullets which never got sent east of the Mississippi River.

If this bullet does indeed have an integral lead teat in its base-cavity, it is definitely Confederate. The yankees never made any teat-base minies. (Note, the teat-base Sharps is not a Minie-type bullet.)

Jimzz927, let me suggest you post the photos of your interesting "oddball" Minie in the Civil War Projectiles forum at bulletandshell.com. The "Trans-Mississippi" bullet collectors there would like to see it... and they can tell you whether others EXACTLY like yours have been found. Those guys are going to ask you for very-precise measurements (made by using a caliper/micrometer) of your bullet's diameter and length, so please include that info when you post the photos.

Sir, you are a miracle worker with ID.

Ok thank you, and yes the teat is lead, alittle history where i found it. It was Ft. Fillmore, NM inwhich the confederates took over 1861and union then tookover in 1862 after a battle. im going take my bullet to get in sized and then post it .

Here's a better picture of the teat20190528_130623.jpg

Very cool find, as usual the community is a wealth of information, I learn so much from this group!

Ok these are the measurements, wieght was 479 grains
20190528_134253.jpg20190528_135032.jpg20190528_135026.jpg20190528_135020.jpg

I tried to post on bullets and shells.com but was unable to , wondering if cannoonballguy can post my photos

Thank you for noticing my ? 's but I can not take credit for the picture Jimzz927 found that picture initially.

I asked about the Teat material cause it looked like Iron maybe in the first picture , now it looks to be Lead or maybe Pewter but I don't see a reason it would be Pewter.

I want to thank Mr,CBG for his reply as I know he has much going on .

This will get figured out.

Still love that unusual Bullet tho . 'Big Skirt , Teat & all '.

P.S. I misread ,& see the teat is indeed lead ..COOL!:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
I tried to post on bullets and shells.com but was unable to , wondering if cannoonballguy can post my photos

Thanks for the measurements , I'm sure TCBG will help if he can.

I'm still at a loss , those WW Theater bullets do get weird & cool .
Good Eve.

I will try to post a couple examples of the only Teat base bullets I have dug.

015.JPG010.JPG.

Thanks davers for ur help I really appreciate it, I hope to figure out what kind of bullet it is . U right kind of look like ur but???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back