Mining Camp Site yields Clad and a Scrip!!!! PICS

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro , Garrett Pro Pointer , Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went today to a place called keokee about 30 minutes from where i live... Keokee has been a huge coal producing area since the 1800's , i was searching near an old home that was built around 1904-1905 .. I found 3 dimes and 10 pennies.. One penny was a 1948 Wheatie :thumbsup:,, then i dug up this disc about the size of half dollar not knowing what it was... it was covered in dirt and rust, grim, u name it.. I couldnt tell anything about it , i could just tell it was aluminum by the weight, threw it in my sack and went on... When i got home and started cleaning everything up i realized it was a piece of Coal Scrip when the dirt started coming out of the 5 holes... I was bouncing up and down at that point, realizing what i found :icon_sunny:. I put it in my electrolysis machine for about 25-30 minutes and it came out 10x cleaner.. You can actually see KeokeeVA on the coin.. I know several collectors of coal scrip in the area that pays top dollar for them.. 100-200$ for 1 script.. slowly paying off that ace 250 and Garrett pin-pointer. :hello2: Here some Pics .. GL an HH guys

Attachments

• CoalScript.JPG
    CoalScript.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 660
Upvote 0
Re: Mining Camp Site yields Clad and a Script!!!! PICS

Reverse --- Wonder how old this thing could be... I don't see any date on it..

Edit-- I found it 6'' down in hard clay dirt... Been down there awhile to have that much corrosion ... Could anyone put a date close to it based on the corrosion of aluminum?

Attachments

• ReverseScript.JPG
    ReverseScript.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 634
Re: Mining Camp Site yields Clad and a Script!!!! PICS

Nice find! :icon_thumleft:

neat find :icon_thumleft: i have the same thing just a token u would have printed with whatever u would like.. mostly likely from a state fair... MR TUFF

Mr Tuff said:
neat find :icon_thumleft: i have the same thing just a token u would have printed with whatever u would like.. mostly likely from a state fair... MR TUFF

State Fair? I dont know where one would even be around here... Were in the boooonies... BFE . lol... I had talked to some friends from keokee about it last night describing it, they said ya its scrip , but that does leave me wondering.

Most likely it's from the 1960's. These were popular then. You could (probably still can) make them yourself by putting a quarter into a machine and turning the dial to the letter you wanted then pressing the handle. You would keep doing that until you spelled out what you wanted on one side.
The machine that made these was invented in Jamestown, NY in the 1930's. I've got a couple that have "World's Fair 1939" in the circle on the back where yours has the flag. It's not scrip.

Scott

eclipsegt3 said:
Mr Tuff said:

State Fair? I dont know where one would even be around here... Were in the boooonies... BFE . lol... I had talked to some friends from keokee about it last night describing it, they said ya its scrip , but that does leave me wondering.

Mr Tuff is right. I have found one as well. Mine has a couples name on it and it was from a fair in Penn. They are good luck tokens.

dirt listener said:
eclipsegt3 said:
Mr Tuff said:

Mr Tuff is right. I have found one as well. Mine has a couples name on it and it was from a fair in Penn. They are good luck tokens.

Yep.. well i thought i found something cool :-\ thx for the info guys... sometimes its fun to be reminded " Hey i found that!"

Cool Relics :thumbsup: Congrats on your finds !!

Karl

srcdco said:
Most likely it's from the 1960's. These were popular then. You could (probably still can) make them yourself by putting a quarter into a machine and turning the dial to the letter you wanted then pressing the handle. You would keep doing that until you spelled out what you wanted on one side.
The machine that made these was invented in Jamestown, NY in the 1930's. I've got a couple that have "World's Fair 1939" in the circle on the back where yours has the flag. It's not scrip.

Scott

Must have been custom made through that machine with blank aluminum rounds

Edit... But its good for us all.. 350 ppl so far has viewed this post, now if they find something like this token, they'll sure know what it is

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back