Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

I haven't heard anything bad, so I can assume that nobody else has either.
The outer fringe of the family pass news pretty quickly.

So.... North or South Dakota?
Let me guess...
South Dakota, Black Hills.

I have grandchildren in Minot.
I try to teach them a little more about gold panning every summer.
I hope they will stay down here every trip.

Thanks for the info, my friend.

#/;0): -

Hola amigos I hope is all is well from the hurricane in Mexico and heavy rains in Texas? Short finger predicted that one formed south of Hawaii. He knows his weather well.

My voyage has been delayed somewhat by wind patterns and had to register my sailing directions. The winds have changed in my favor so I set sail shortly.

Mickel good to see enjoy your grandchildren. They will remember those precious moments with there granddad that that amigo is priceless as any treasure.

kanacki

Hola Don Jose

Where ever you go in the world you will find various protocols in approaching people. That is why it necessary to learn the culture of any place you travel too. one thing if you take the time to show respect you might be amazed what people will show you.

I suppose you and short finger had no time at all to make a decision? Both I may add made the correct one and earned my respect for level headiness. Shoot first ask question later can get you in all sorts of trouble. regardless with both situation one could of been a local coming to see who was on his property and SF with frightened illegal immigrants dumped by their paid people smugglers.

Kanacki

Wow, get away from the internet for a week, and there is a lot of stuff to catch up on. Thanks for the compliment, Kanacki. I like to think that I did the correct thing. It was a tough situation, and it was 35 years ago, so there were fewer Narcos around. Things might be a little dicier today. Maybe I should have helped them more, but…I sure wasn’t going to shoot them just for needing a little food and water. About a year later, my compadres on this trip were in the CA desert south of the Chuckawallas had a couple (husband and wife) stagger into camp close to dead from lack of water. I wasn’t on that trip for some reason. They gave them some water and hauled them into the nearest hospital, about 70 miles one way. Again, it was the right thing to do.

JB

Hola amigos I hope is all is well from the hurricane in Mexico and heavy rains in Texas? Short finger predicted that one formed south of Hawaii. He knows his weather well.

My voyage has been delayed somewhat by wind patterns and had to register my sailing directions. The winds have changed in my favor so I set sail shortly.

Mickel good to see enjoy your grandchildren. They will remember those precious moments with there granddad that that amigo is priceless as any treasure.

kanacki
Well, Kanacki, I will have to bow out on this one. The disturbance I was looking at was what came to be called TS/Hurricane Olaf, which is currently wandering around somewhere between Hawaii and the mainland. If the course doesn’t change, I could get some rain from it next week some time .Patricia came up really fast and really strong, and I really didn’t see it coming, at least not that fast or that strong. Glad to hear that everyone (so far) is doing okay. That could have been a bad one.

Enjoy your trip, and we are all looking forward to your return.

JB

KANACKI, thank you for mentioning my grandchildren.
They are my message to the future and the love of the rest of my life
I would take a bullet for any of them.
I did click the like button, but I cannot see it, so I wanted to make sure that you know how much I appreciated your well wish from the middle of the pacific.

Thank you.
MIKEL

KANACKI, thank you for mentioning my grandchildren.
They are my message to the future and the love of the rest of my life
I would take a bullet for any of them.
I did click the like button, but I cannot see it, so I wanted to make sure that you know how much I appreciated your well wish from the middle of the pacific.

Thank you.
MIKEL

Hola Amigos even tho my better half drags me sorry ass to church on Sunday when on land. Yet I cannot claim to very religious however I am a big believer in karma. What you do in life will come back to haunt you in life 3 fold. An honorable and righteous life intern will eventually reward you after many trials. A treacherous ruthless life will catch up with you some where some place three fold.

Kanacki

You, my friend, are on a good path.
You might stack that deck a bit more in your favor by continuing to follow your wife. I'm sure she drags you because she loves you.

You, my friend, are on a good path.
You might stack that deck a bit more in your favor by continuing to follow your wife. I'm sure she drags you because she loves you.

Indeed Mikel you are correct.

After lugging my family all around the world and some times leaving wife alone with 8 kids while I have gone way for months at a time. Who never expects or really asked for much its the least I can do. I am truly a lucky man and no treasure comes close Amigo.

Kanacki

Hola Amigos I hope Don Amigo is okay and has not been flooded out down Mexico way.

And I hope all are safe and well. The time has finally come. Even on some remote pacific ports we have red tape, I finally got port clearance. Got held up for various factors. I have four sons my third son 27 is about to become a skipper. My first two older sons I have confidence in their capabilities now as a skipper which just more than just piece of paper but the ability to lead and inspire and nurture a crew. However with my third son We had a fiery voyage on "Ocean Child" with a poor attitude to dealing with the crew.

I stepped as senior commanding officer in and he lost face with the crew and there was big fiery exchange as its very rare me going off like a volcano. He has the knowledge he is fit quick but very impatient while I am old and slow by methodical. he does not understand how to nurture a crew fully to gain their respect. If they do some thing wrong you have persevere nurturing a culture where everyone chips if there struggling with some thing. However at sea The skipper is master of his empire and liable for welfare of his passengers and crew and rules do not just apply to the crew but to the master also. Other wise you will never get respect from crew if you break your own rules.

Watching his command of the "Ocean Child", he on the last voyage let anxiety of total responsibility get the better of him, I which saw he took out his own personal mood on the crew. So it is I who signs off on his papers and for moment I will not sign him off unless I am satisfied he competent not just as sailor but also a leader. If he does not improve this voyage and impress the hell out of me with a changed attitude he stay a mate. Sailing a barmy ocean is one thing in trying conditions in poor sea state is another. I cannot let him alone unless changes his outlook at present. Over the next few months will be a big test. He tried get things done by anger and that amigos rubs me up the wrong way.

The last few days hes been bending over backwards to kiss my ass to impress me. But that's not what want to see So interesting voyage a head with some young men some eager some anxious and few experienced crew with a good second and third mate.

See ya in a months time or so.

Kanacki

Hola Amigos I hope Don Amigo is okay and has not been flooded out down Mexico way.

And I hope all are safe and well. The time has finally come. Even on some remote pacific ports we have red tape, I finally got port clearance. Got held up for various factors. I have four sons my third son 27 is about to become a skipper. My first two older sons I have confidence in their capabilities now as a skipper which just more than just piece of paper but the ability to lead and inspire and nurture a crew. However with my third son We had a fiery voyage on "Ocean Child" with a poor attitude to dealing with the crew.

I stepped as senior commanding officer in and he lost face with the crew and there was big fiery exchange as its very rare me going off like a volcano. He has the knowledge he is fit quick but very impatient while I am old and slow by methodical. he does not understand how to nurture a crew fully to gain their respect. If they do some thing wrong you have persevere nurturing a culture where everyone chips if there struggling with some thing. However at sea The skipper is master of his empire and liable for welfare of his passengers and crew and rules do not just apply to the crew but to the master also. Other wise you will never get respect from crew if you break your own rules.

Watching his command of the "Ocean Child", he on the last voyage let anxiety of total responsibility get the better of him, I which saw he took out his own personal mood on the crew. So it is I who signs off on his papers and for moment I will not sign him off unless I am satisfied he competent not just as sailor but also a leader. If he does not improve this voyage and impress the hell out of me with a changed attitude he stay a mate. Sailing a barmy ocean is one thing in trying conditions in poor sea state is another. I cannot let him alone unless changes his outlook at present. Over the next few months will be a big test. He tried get things done by anger and that amigos rubs me up the wrong way.

The last few days hes been bending over backwards to kiss my ass to impress me. But that's not what want to see So interesting voyage a head with some young men some eager some anxious and few experienced crew with a good second and third mate.

See ya in a months time or so.

Kanacki

Kanacki-
Far be it from me to try and tell anyone how to be with their own child; I've been a father all off 26 months now. However, if you'll permit me, I will say this; the relationship between father and son during times of teaching, guidance, & discipline is a delicate thing, regardless of how old either of you may be. Especially when the son knows his father will be critiquing him. I'd imagine that during your "fiery exchange", he was probably more pissed at himself for "screwing up" at all, than he was with you "going off like a volcano". It was probably one of those "yeah, yeah, dad...I got it" moments, rather than a "pi$$ off old man" things. Remember: we never stop looking for approval (pat on the back) from our parents, at any age.

I'd also bet that he's just trying so hard to impress you that the small "mistakes" on his part will immediately upset him and begin to cloud his judgement. Then, he ends up making decisions fueled by his frustration (read: embarrassment in front of dad) rather than what I presume are years of knowledge and training passed down by you. In turn, those small mistakes can become big ones. I do understand one can't afford any mistakes should an issue arise on the open seas but I'm guessing he's trying his damnedest to not have any.

My advice: give it patience & time. He'll get it. As they say; the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree!

Safe travels and, as always, all the best-
JA

Hopefully I'm not overstepping my boundaries on this, though you're probably gonna read it after the fact anyway, so what the hell! Cheers!

J.A.A. Don't forget that he is competing for his fathers' approval, with successful older brothers, who differ in temperament and ability.

You impress ma J.A.A. However one can be TOO understanding, to his detriment.

Last edited:
J.A.A. Don't forget that he is competing for his fathers' approval, with successful older brothers, who differ in temperament and ability.

Good point, Don Jose. I have 2 sons, 27 and 28. The younger spent a lot of time competing with his successful older brother, so I am familiar with that phenomenon. I have about decided that one of my sons is a natural leader, the other is, by temperament, a loner. Not that he can't work with a team, because he can. But he is much more comfortable working alone, and really doesn't want to lead. I can relate to that, since I am much the same. J.A.A., you have good insight there, especially for someone with a 26 month old child. If my sons are any indicator, you will need all of your patience and insight a little farther along in your time as a father.

JB

We are are different, some need discipline, while others don't. The roughest to break spirited horses usually make the best horses, I'm sure the lad will come along, and learn from his experience. Heck he couldn't have a better teacher.

Homar

Very true DJ. I didn't take into consideration the fact that there were other siblings. That could almost make it worse, assuming the son in question is the youngest of the group. He may feel he's got a lot to live up to. Either way, there is something to be said for being TOO understanding as you said. Sometimes that's the person who will get walked on by others who see it as more of a sign of weakness rather than compassion.

Just trying to help.

Back to the Treasure Stories!!
How's the book coming?? What page are you on??

All the best-
Justin

Good point, Don Jose. I have 2 sons, 27 and 28. The younger spent a lot of time competing with his successful older brother, so I am familiar with that phenomenon. I have about decided that one of my sons is a natural leader, the other is, by temperament, a loner. Not that he can't work with a team, because he can. But he is much more comfortable working alone, and really doesn't want to lead. I can relate to that, since I am much the same. J.A.A., you have good insight there, especially for someone with a 26 month old child. If my sons are any indicator, you will need all of your patience and insight a little farther along in your time as a father.

JB

Shortfinger-
I imagine I'll be experiencing this "phenomenon" myself very shortly....
Considering my wife just informed me she's now ready for #2, I'm really hoping I develop more of this patience & insight you speak of as I get a bit farther down the line!!
I thank you for the advice!

All the best-
JA

Shortfinger-
I imagine I'll be experiencing this "phenomenon" myself very shortly....
Considering my wife just informed me she's now ready for #2, I'm really hoping I develop more of this patience & insight you speak of as I get a bit farther down the line!!
I thank you for the advice!

All the best-
JA

Well, the farther apart they are, the better, in my somewhat limited experience. Yours at 26 plus at least 9 months should be relatively easy. Mine were only 14 months apart, so they may have been more of a challenge than most. From what you have said, I'm sure you will do fine. Just remember, there is a learning curve for fatherhood as well. Nobody (except for perhaps our esteemed, albeit slow writing, Don Jose) knows everything. I'm still learning about my sons, how they relate to each other, and to me, even now. But it is worth it.

JB

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back