Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheers TT, for the kind words and decent suggestions.

Enjoy your single status and make the very most of every opportunity. No regrets.

You have also inspired me with your enthusiasm and willingness to try things out.

As I am off work today, I am checking that "THunting" website out that Crow recommended. Hardluck is a moderator there and the Crow himself a regular contributor!:hello2:

I, likewise am/will look further into the list of possible stories and the main man has provided and will report back duly once I have anything of importance.

Regards

IPUK

Thanks IPUK...I registered there sometime back,but never followed it .I will also try to check it and we will exchange notes.
Both single life and family life are a reality of life.Famiy life is God's order in general and a blessing,but loners could make the best out of their time and mobility advantages for good as well if they live wisely...see you around,Crow gaveus some home work to read.kkk

TT

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amigo's,:coffee2:through years of research,and having my boots on the ground at a lot of different treasure sites, I started finding more and more similarities in some petroglyphs,and markings,the more research I did,the more confused I would become, most authorities on the subject of treasures would follow certain paths in trying to explain their theories or stories ,because that's what the public was buying. there are so many different paths to follow on these stories that should just be ignored,they are most times very misleading,maybe not on purpose,but for the pleasure of the readers, I guess in a way I was lucky in part of my treasure hunting education ,I was born and raised in a small mining community,most of my friends were Portuguese and native americans, from both groups I learned a lot without even knowing it,It would become very useful later on. there is a primrose path taken by most treasure hunters because that's what they want , an easy solution to a story,it all makes for a good story.and good dreams, but don't fall into that pattern, do your own research,heres something that has helped me in understanding a few of the really good hunts I have been on, learn more about Portuguese Templars known as the knights of christ ,and their travels especially to the new world,they left a lot behind them, more than people ever realized ,and why did different well known groups follow in their foot prints.np:cat:

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Crow and IPUK for the wonderful exchange...I don't know to which one to comment as there were many posts.

Crow,,thanks for the list of legends you gave us ,,,and the many wise and insightful advises are greatly appreciated!I will look into the legends further...

IPUK
Thanks ,about the Portuguese island info,,sure it would be nice to have the details,and will also check Crow's lead on thunting post.I am not exclusively on Portuguese TH,but that is one of my shots.This year I am in between jobs and have not settled yet,,last year I was somewhere in Italy on some study and before that in another EU country working etc...so where in EU I will be soon depends on job issues but in any case Europe wide treasure legends are in general my interest for the time being.I belive you are doing a lot of preparation and getting advises from Veterans like Crow is very valuable.One humble suggestion I will give you is that given having a family,resigning from your secure civil service job even if you secure some streams of money may not be a good idea.You really need to grasp some sustaiable arrangement or one sizable treasure find to decide that drastic decision.Those kind of hard decisions are for lone travellers like me who have not started a family,,and can go to any country where an opportunity may rise and if things dont go as expected can duck on low level living for a while. But Having a family is quiet different...So I believe you have to take that into consideration and do your TH ventures side by side with your secure civil service job until you really land into something to kick you off on your own...Leave the risky life decisions for loners Like Me. :laughing7:But the rest I believe you have the good attitude and preparation for serious TH and you are really inspiring me as well to think in a proper way.good luck amigo!

TT

Hello IPUK

Steady on tiger ya got taste for it I can see.

TT makes some very very sound points. It a very very long hard road and many of the most dedicated will fail. For many years I drifted from one mining camp to next, away for months at a time. My home at one stage was contents of suitcase for about 10 years. One bar to next mining camp to next with different people but the same sad drunk faces. No chance of meaningful relation ships or having family ties. One paycheck to the next redundancy. Not a good place for a family man or relationships. You my friend are luckiest man alive having a good steady job in the civil service, a marriage and young family in fact you have found the greatest treasure. For me it has come at very end of my life I will most likely never live to see my son grown up. All a little too late.

Many see treasure hunters as glamorous well truth is farther from it. It destroys marriages and alienate children from their Fathers. And you usually burn through more money than you make. You do not always keep exulted company. Governments and academics hate you. You have hangers on wanting to scam you. Then depending on your long hard road of adventure you have the ghosts my friends. I dream in different languages and are mixture of people and places that haunt you in early hours of morning. The 3am demon visits me every night my friend. All of trio have their demons my friend after you live on the edge of murder misery and death for so long you habitually always looking over the shoulder. Such is fate when traveling around globe chasing treasure. And if you succeed and recover some treasure it all a brief fleeting moment.....what next? A long hard arm wrestle stopping people trying to take it of you.

I agree with TT for you, your approach should be a balanced approach. ( I say that from experience some times it no fun for the others with families jumping in with proverbial two hand grenades with pin out mentality. For me if I stuffed up only persons life I ruin in my own. When you have family its not that simple ) The civil service job is good regular income, much better than working for private companies where they chew you up spit you out and cut your throat with a Bink of an eye. A steady income is a benefit to you. The key to any success in treasure hunting is steady income, research, research and more research. We live in an era while most of it can be done in comfort of your own home. However it still requires field trips to various libraries and archives. However a balanced approach between research and time spent with family. Enjoy your kids before they grow up and do not want to know you. And when you found that treasure legend that you found more information on and you get to stage for an expedition you make time to do it and plan ahead.

Various income streams is good idea in theory. In fact that has what the trio had going. but even them require attention and time. Having business still require time and input. However before any serious decisions are made you really need to find "The story that require greater research. There is a lot to like about your approach and Trio does admire your efforts in India. which the attempt was no mean feat.

Some thing to be proud of regardless the outcome because you went and tried it, while others will only ever dream of.

Cheers

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello IPUK

Steady on tiger ya got taste for it I can see.

TT makes some very very sound points. It a very very long hard road and many of the most dedicated will fail. For many years I drifted from one mining camp to next, away for months at a time. My home at one stage was contents of suitcase for about 10 years. One bar to next mining camp to next with different people but the same sad drunk faces. No chance of meaningful relation ships or having family ties. One paycheck to the next redundancy. Not a good place for a family man or relationships. You my friend are luckiest man alive having a good steady job in the civil service, a marriage and young family in fact you have found the greatest treasure. For me it has come at very end of my life I will most likely never live to see my son grown up. All a little too late.

Many see treasure hunters as glamorous well truth is farther from it. It destroys marriages and alienate children from their Fathers. And you usually burn through more money than you make. You do not always keep exulted company. Governments and academics hate you. You have hangers on wanting to scam you. Then depending on your long hard road of adventure you have the ghosts my friends. I dream in different languages and are mixture of people and places that haunt you in early hours of morning. The 3am demon visits me every night my friend. All of trio have their demons my friend after you live on the edge of murder misery and death for so long you habitually always looking over the shoulder. Such is fate when traveling around globe chasing treasure. And if you succeed and recover some treasure it all a brief fleeting moment.....what next? A long hard arm wrestle stopping people trying to take it of you.

I agree with TT for you, your approach should be a balanced approach. ( I say that from experience some times it no fun for the others with families jumping in with proverbial two hand grenades with pin out mentality. For me if I stuffed up only persons life I ruin in my own. When you have family its not that simple ) The civil service job is good regular income, much better than working for private companies where they chew you up spit you out and cut your throat with a Bink of an eye. A steady income is a benefit to you. The key to any success in treasure hunting is steady income, research, research and more research. We live in an era while most of it can be done in comfort of your own home. However it still requires field trips to various libraries and archives. However a balanced approach between research and time spent with family. Enjoy your kids before they grow up and do not want to know you. And when you found that treasure legend that you found more information on and you get to stage for an expedition you make time to do it and plan ahead.

Various income streams is good idea in theory. In fact that has what the trio had going. but even them require attention and time. Having business still require time and input. However before any serious decisions are made you really need to find "The story that require greater research. There is a lot to like about your approach and Trio does admire your efforts in India. which the attempt was no mean feat.

Some thing to be proud of regardless the outcome because you went and tried it, while others will only ever dream of.

Cheers

Crow

Thanks Crow,,Seasoned advice there for all of us.Working,travelling and living in various places in Europe I have noticed in in recent years a great sense of Job insecurity.I mean from people with even a PhD degree.North Europe,south Europe including UK everywhere.I once was in Reading city in UK for few days and one British guy (a post doc)was telling us his contract with his research center is ending and he does not know what will happen after that.He was worried as he had a family.Mind you, this is a public research center he was referring.I have seen this kind of feeling numerous times in several countries in Europe from diverse people of different professional background and qualification.The reason is that American work culture is creeping
in and social welfare and security is gradually being eroded in Europe.Private companies in Europe now are finding it easy to fire like America.They are now mostly hiring for short term contract which makes it unstable for the employee to have a stable life and plan for Mortgage etc.I have met some guys with families who were in contractual jobs and entered a mortgage arrangement and got nervous and worried when the end of the contract approached.They were fearful even to buy a coffee so as to save even from that. Even jobs in some public offices have become contractual and unstable.Hence in today's Europe a permanent Job in the civil service actually is a dream and fantasy of many .

TT

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning Gents (or afternoon/evening in your part of the world)

Crow, thank you most kindly for your wonderful words and real, heartfelt advice that is extremely empowering to see. In this time and age of individualism and indifference, it is so decent to see that looking out for one another, even if you have not met, is still strong. Thank You. I am afraid, as alluded to by our compadre TT, that job security just doesn't exist anymore in the UK/Europe. The decision may be taken out of my hands by March 2016, because our government has announced massive cuts to the public sector here and reorganisation and restructuring are going on and when the new financial year kicks in - April 2016 - some of us could be made redundant. I have been working in the service for two decades since leaving school and can truly say I have had my fill. I dread going in the morning as most folk are close to retirement age and the conversation usually evolves around where to get the best carrots for supper or which slippers we most feel comfortable in. When they start to talk about bunions and warts, I usually make my excuses and leave..
Anyway, I have been fortunate enough to have been blessed with a very understanding wife and kids who love treasure tales as much as me! They do not mind my, now frequent absences, as they understand my viewpoint. My wife says that some folk have a passion for cars, others in railways, yet more in stamps, I happen to love history/treasure stories and the like. She has made sure that we have securely set aside money for the children's education and future, and has been kind enough to let me spend some on my ventures. You know about the India thingie, my first project was to buy emeralds from Colombia and sell them in Europe and/or Asia. I travelled to Antwerp, I know that its mainly diamonds there but just to test the water and also tried Amsterdam and Zurich, but the demand simply wasn't there. In India they wanted the inexpensive type for spiritual reasons but it was all very unpredictable. Gold is king there. Besides, everyone I spoke to had there preferred suppliers and had reserves already. But nothing ventured nothing gained.

Recently I spoke to some friends here and learnt about a university that has an amazing archive of books, relics, artefacts and the like. They recently came across a copy of a Quran they had collected from the Middle East that may have preceded the muslim prophet Mohammed. Apparently they have some serious stuff collected from all over the globe. There is also another university that has books and records relating to botany, horticulture, history, geography and such subjects that there is a small possibility of delving into their archives. One thing about the British, they loved to keep accurate records....

Please do not say that you may not see your son growing-up, I know for a fact that the Trio have drunk from the fountain of youth in some remote corner of the world without realising it and will be around for much much longer terrorising the seas and the party gals.:thumbsup:

I duly registered with "THunting" last night and went through Hardluck's posts! I believe you've posted on there as well! Hardluck's from the valleys!
Some interesting stuff on there. I have also looked into one of the legends from the list you graciously provided. From the basic research I did, the chap who allegedly buried the cache of gold piastres never got back to them and died by jumping into the sea when being forced by the Spanish governor to reveal the site. The governor allegedly had two-hundred natives (in some accounts up to six hundred) look all over the island. But surely if it was recently buried with markers placed at the site, those natives would have been sharp enough to have spotted anything unfamiliar??
But we are assuming that it was the island in the chain. Also the source of the story de Lurcy, got the facts of what happened after the treasure was taken from an chap who claimed he was the sole survivor from the robbery. So in essence, once the robbery took place, the rest needs to be verified. Of course we need to know if the treasure was real as well and whether such an event took place. Roberton was real enough, the descendents of this Jock clan have traced their forebears across the globe and have shown where they settled and what they did. There has been some recent attempts to find this treasure but no follow-up info. Yet again people assume that this is the 'right' island and simply go and start digging here and there. This one could have some meat on the bone...

I have already started the transition, I have a small property portfolio was is proving steady and providing a decent income for our needs. I yearn to get out there and see what's available chaps.:occasion14:

Regards

IPUK

PS. Just remembered Crow, I can sympathise with the demons at 3am feeling, its usually when the mother-in-law is visiting:laughing7:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello TT I cannot agree more with your comments.

Sadly the world is like that these days. Even in once held institutions where you was once guaranteed a Job for life. That problem is right around the world and we have seen the gradual erosion of wages and conditions and shrinking middle class of rich and poor. It has if we have digressed back to 1911 standards where 2% of the population holds all the wealth and 98% are left to feed over the crumbs. The Trio saw that coming years ago when we worked for large multinational companies. They day came of course as it does for everyone you become expendable. I suppose that was one compelling driving factors for trio to push into us into developing our own businesses and researching treasure legends.

Our break came from most unlikely of things we worked for a drilling company subcontracting to a large mining company who was going broke. they had no cash to pay us fully so they offered us part in shares of the company they were contacting for that company. It seemed like a dud at first nearly sent us to the wall. It broke a lot of marriages up as the subcontractor went broke and the director ran off with super annunciation But when a big multinational wanted to buy out share holders they exchanged our 50 cent per share price went from as merger with the multinational company price share for shares worth 27.90 at one stage. There was a group of us had a windfall of 18 million. It was a get out of jail card so to speak. Some of the group blew their money others invested wisely, I bought real estate and ventured in a few small business with kanacki and hardluck. Did good on some things did very crap on other things.

Ironic as it seems the site where this company was mining was discovered by a German before WW1 buying a dead horse discovered a gold deposit, who died of malaria. What he later called the dead horse mine. He left documents and a map behind in German captured by the Australian Army in New guinea during WW1 . It sat in the attorney generals office for years until 3 mining men IN 1930'S from west Australia got hold of the information. They explored the site. By the time they they developed it WW2 came about and Japan invaded. The men died in captivity in Japan before revealing the location to an America POW. He later after WW2 went to New guinea and Found a company to mine the gold site. However he too went broke unable to raise capital for the project. Another company came along called Luhir Gold took over and with lack of funds offered shares to drilling company we worked for in lieu of monetary payment or in part. We go duded as The drilling company went broke stole our wages owning and Superannuation. However for a time we were left with pretty worthless shares until Newcrest mining bought out the reaming shares of the old company as they wanted 100% control of the mine. they matched us share for share in exchange for their shares.

Ironic is it not that non of original discovers or later rediscovers made a cent from it. And it was only some down trodden raggedy dead beats hired hands so to speak did okay out of it.

But such is life when one roles the dice. We used to world hard and play ever harder. The last since I have got back from South America nearly (18 years ago now )I have not really worked just puttered at my own pace living fairly modestly as the Trio tends to do. Of course there has been other windfalls however some things in life even squeaky beak flapping old crow needs to keep quite about. And remember we are not treasure hunters...er Researchers historical researchers.....

As for the Company director who ran off with our superannuation? One of our associates of trio caught up with him in Manila...And we will leave it at that.

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, talking about Hardluck, you chaps have an amazing collection on Cocos Island as well I believe. He made some thoroughly practical points about its history and associated legends. Whilst the conceited mocked the island through ignorance, some fellas quietly went about their business...:headbang:

IPUK

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello TT and IPIU

Here is 1930 newspaper story telling of the dead German.

Western Star and Roma Advertiser  Saturday 15 February 1930, page 10.jpg

So when some one say nobody ever found treasure with a treasure map I beg to differ...

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Crow

If I recall correctly, you posted some pictures of the mine as well in another thread somewhere.

Couldn't agree with you more, some folks would find it incredulous that such a valuable document would simply be "laying there for 3 years" but the evidence is there for all. I wonder how many such papers still might be gathering dust in some dusty archive?

IPUK

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is another later 1950 newspaper version that sparked interest in this lost gold mine. Telling about these various maps. in fact there was several MAPS not just of the island in question but several locations across New Guinea.

The West Australian Thursday 30 March 1950, page 15.jpg

It was through the men of 1930's story the information got past onto the American POW.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Crow

If I recall correctly, you posted some pictures of the mine as well in another thread somewhere.

Couldn't agree with you more, some folks would find it incredulous that such a valuable document would simply be "laying there for 3 years" but the evidence is there for all. I wonder how many such papers still might be gathering dust in some dusty archive?

IPUK

Thousands.....

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TT

Regarding the treasure story in the Salvage Islands, put in "Cruise of the Alerte E.F. Knight" and a PDF version should come up where you can read the book online.

IPUK

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Crow, talking about Hardluck, you chaps have an amazing collection on Cocos Island as well I believe. He made some thoroughly practical points about its history and associated legends. Whilst the conceited mocked the island through ignorance, some fellas quietly went about their business...:headbang:

IPUK

Maybe one day an amazing discovery will be announced not seen since the discovery of king TUT will one day be revealed.....

Until then we all have to wait....

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread