Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
morning pore hunter: A brief continuation. I learned that they were stripping the metal from the LLuvia de Oro mine and had opend a road to access it. Since this was at least one day closer by mule, I left the Gloria Pan mine closed and returned to El Fuerte to bring my partner to be there when we opened the Mine.

It took three days, and when I had arrived, it was to find that my partner had had a heart attack and died the night before, he was dead when I arrived. I remained in El fuerte long enough to bury him, then left for Alamos. To date I have never returned to the Gloria Pan mine to open it up, in fact I stopped looking for lost mines and treasures for several years, we had been very close friends, even though he consistantly beat me at Chess. I kinda lost the spark.

So, La Gloria pan mine still sits there closed, yet with her portal known. Some day I will have to return there and finally open her up to let the souls of the people that died working there can rest. Maybe ORO -----???

After all, they now have a road to Tubares, which is only perhaps 1/2 day by mule from La Gloria Pan mine..

Don Jose de La Mancha

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Friend!! I would wade through a swamp of Gators, Tame A herd of Buffalo, :whip2: And give your Muley a big fat Kiss.. :-* Just for a Chance to read the First Chapter of Your book.. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Tar thick Coffee :coffee2: :coffee2: :tongue3: :tongue3:

Poorhunter..

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evening pore hunter and friends: for some reason I was reminded of the col this evening. I can still see him, a tall, gangly, skinny stick of bones with his Dusty, faded, col uniform hanging on him with his ever present .45. He had the usual tarnished, revolution medals hanging from his skinny chest.

We had been casual friends for some time, when as I was going through the plaza, I saw him sitting on a bench a bit slumped over and looking very discouraged. He was the nominal head of one of the local land movements called " El Division del Norte" in reference to Pancho villa. Apparently he had been to the Palacio looking for some aid for his group.

The young clerks at the Palacio were accustomed to make snide remarks about that old relic from the revolution days, and apparently he had been rebuffed.

So without thinking, I stood very erect, and marched over to where he was sitting, came to attention Snapped off my best USAF salute and said "Teniente Curry presente, mi colornel". He blinked and smiled a bit, then stood up and returned my salute, and said "bien venido mi tieniente, descansa se". (Welome my lt, at ease) He waved to the bench that he had been seated on, so I sat with him.

The other passerbyers on the plaza were a bit intrigued and commenced to show him more respect, even to the point of saying "Buenas dias col." They all knew that I had been a Airforce gentleman & pilot. For me to show him respect as being the superior Officer intrigued them. I even saw some of the clerks at the Palacio looking out of the second floor window a us.

Well we talked for some time about this and that, military experiences, campaigns, etc. He then said that in a certain battle he had been shot in the right knee with a 7 mm.. This startled me a bit, since I had 20 mm frags just above my right knee also. Naturally the next move was to roll up our pants legs and commence to compare scars, forgetting our fascinated audience. He very carefully checked out my scar tissue then was satisfied. His knee was still a mess, it looked like a rock pile with lumpy bone rebuilding.

We then continued talking for about an hour, then he said that he has to go back to the Palacio. He stood up straight, so naturally I did also and saluted him again which he returned with great dignity and
left. He now walked straight and with confidence, He won his help easily from the now subdued clerks.

We met off and on for a while, always with the formal salute exchange first, and last.

One night about 2:30 in the morning, I heard this banging on my front door and the sounds of many men?? I quickly put on a pair of pants, and bare footed went to the door. When I opened it the group of men breezed past me into the room, they were all military officers ?? They formed a group around me, my col was with them.

He stepped forward and said "Mi General, me permirtes a presentar a mi buen amigo, El Americano Major Curry de la Fuerza Area de los Estados Unidos". ( My General, may I present my very good friend, Major Curry of the USAF). He proceeded to present me to another General, a couple of col.'s and one poor lonely Major. We swapped stories and a few drinks then they started to leave. When I had a chance I whispered to my friend, "I wasn't a Major". He grinned, and said "you are a Major 'now' to the local military." So I became know as the local Yankee Major & pilot.

Incidentally that reputation helped me a few times later. ©@

Don jose de la Mancha

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DON JOSE,

SIMPLE WORDS DO NOT CONVEY HOW MUCH I ENJOY READING YOUR POSTS.
I HAVE MISSED THEM, EVEN WHEN YOU ARE GONE FOR A SHORT TIME.
I AM GLAD THAT YOU ARE BACK!
:coffee2: :read2: :coffee2:

GOD BLESS.
MIKEL

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi my friends. Now that I am almost over my extended case of the flue, I am bk to posting again. while I was feeling sorry for myself and being bored, I commenced to watch movies online, particularly western ones, even the corny Italian ones. However, one did bring me up short, it was "los Bravados" with Gregory Peck.

The filming is perfect and the scenery is superb. He travels over much of the ground that I did in the 50's. I could easily feel myself riding my mule back then again. The country became real. Those deep, distant barrancas were the ones where I explored in the initial phases of Lost Jesuit mine hunting.
I often spent weeks alone without meeting another human, and in those hidden barancas is where I had a few encounters with bandidos.

There are flocks of huge wild turkeys in the hundreds in the distant mesas and barrancas, Deer also. So it was only of a matter of a shot or so every week with my pistol to have plenty of camp meat..

The high falls that he rides past is La Basaseachi, now a popular tourist mecca with Swiss Chalet type hotels etc. A highway now crosses the Sierras from Hermosillo to Chihuahua city, with modern gasoline stations every so often, and motels, sigh.

I first heard of the Basaseachi falls from an old Chinapa Indian. So I took off north from Chinapas, up the Chinapas river barrancas, then crossed over to the north west to the Mayo drainage and continued to the falls. It took me days to reach them, I had to make my own trail at times. I camped down below the falls for another three days, ate some trout, then returned to Chinapas. Now it is only a matter of a few hours in an air-conditioned car sigh.

Yes, this picture brought back many memories. I miss that country as it was, sigh, Nights where one could lie on his blanket, drink his hot coffee, listen to the coyotes sing their lonely songs of lost love and dinners earned, sniff the fresh, deliciously scented, Pine air which hinted of frost by morning, roll over and it 'was' morning. sigh.

So if you have access to movies on line, I strongly suggest watching 'Los Bravados' with Gregory Peck. if you don't have a movie channel, try searching for 'free online movies' which require no information from you, and join me for nostalgic riding. sigh.

Don Jose de La Mancha

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DON JOSE,

GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE DOING WELL. GLAD YOU FOUND A TRIP TO YOUR PAST TOO.
YOU WRITE LIKE A POET ABOUT YOUR LIFE. YOU MAKE A FELLOW SEE IT AS YOU DID.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF, MY FRIEND, IF I MAY SO CALL YOU.

GOD BLESS.
:coffee2: :coffee2:
MIKEL

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now - where the heck is that book of yours??
Joey son, you have a duty to share your experiences - not because of the experiences, per ce, but because of the way you write :-)
So - please put me in the queue for the 'first edition' - plueeeze ...

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose Wrote.....Hi my friends. Now that I am almost over my extended case of the flue,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You cannot take slipper, or a shoe.. And just Squish this darn Bug... :tongue3: ;D

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Poorhunter (Still Giggling)

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning Loke, Mike, and Pore: Lupita cuatro cafe para mis amigos, por favor. (Lupita, four coffee for my friends please).

Muchas garcias for your extemely kind words my friends. I will post another today to say thank you .

Don Jose de La Mancha

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
It's good to hear you are doing better. Didn't know what happened to you all of a sudden. I thought maybe you were out prospecting or looking for that cave. Good Luck. rockhound

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the Bears perhaps Eat everyone around the Campfire?

Don Jose, Look what I found ------>>>>> :coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Found ya this time, may not next!

Where is the campfire? With the new format I can't find much of anything. With no Unread (New) Replies function, it is a major headache and nuisance just to find where any new posts were made in the conversations we participate in. If you don't see me post for a long time, you know why - I could not find that there were new posts! :BangHead:
Oroblanco

Coffee - can't find the mug symbol again, so hope that writing it will do.

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oro - count me amongst the confused as well - I can't make heads or tails of the new format either - no longer do I have any idea when there have been new postings - gotta look at the date (which doesn't mean much when it says 'today' or 'yesterday' - because I usually get a cached version) .. and I don't know whether I have posted there or not ...
Why the heck do they change something that was working perfectly - by far the best (and I don't mean content) of all the treasuresites.
And its called what? Progress? *sigh*

Last edited:

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ORO look in the middle of the page above the first post on any page and you will spot the ( VIEW FIRST UNREAD) tab
:coffee2: is close to the bottom of the page hope that helps, its just gonna take some getting used to
Marty

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
if you go to the top of the page and click on settings and then view all subscribed threads all the subscribed threads will show up.
regular threads with no new posts are grey files.
regular threads with new posts are blue files.
hot threads are gold colored files.
hot threads with new posts have a blue ribbon on the file.
hot threads with no new posts have a red ribbon on the file.
files with a circle on the file are threads you have posted in.
files with a lock on the file are closed threads.

remember to refresh your original page if you open a new page to read each thread or they will still show up as unread on the original page.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Mi old amigo Tropical Tramp,
After an extended work schedule and even more extended "honey doo" list
I would be remiss if I didn't say sure am glad you are better.
Stay away from the flue my friend, it does really bad things to guys like us.

Thom

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Oro - count me amongst the confused as well - I can't make heads or tails of the new format either - no longer do I have any idea when there have been new postings - gotta look at the date (which doesn't mean much when it says 'today' or 'yesterday' - because I usually get a cached version) .. and I don't know whether I have posted there or not ...
Why the heck do they change something that was working perfectly - by far the best (and I don't mean content) of all the treasuresites.
And its called what? Progress? *sigh*

Loke,
Similar to when my partner asked if I could outrun the bear...
I told him I wasn't worried about that, Because I knew I could outrun him.

LOL

Too often we mistake for progress things that are only change... (and vise-versa)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread