: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The earliest record is a waybill left by Jose Joaquin Garcia, penned in 1814, several decades before he sketched his now famous map. That document refers to work which was performed at mines on Hoyt Peak as far back as 1782. It was discovered in the Spanish Archives at Mexico City through the efforts of Russell R. Rich, Professor of Early History, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. It is quite likely that Professor Rich also discovered the Garcia Map of 1821-1826. Both the map and the document appeared at about the same time. Another document recently uncovered in the Archives at Seville states that the Garcia Mine was registered in 1722, and was worked until 1749, when it was abandoned due to Indian troubles, and wasn't reopened until 1782. The mine was owned by the Garcia family for nearly a century. The waybill discovered by Professor Rich has been authenticated by document experts who have examined it in great detail; their opinions stating that the language of that document is consistent with the period in which it was written, and that several now archaic words and phrases in it would be unknown to anyone not living at that time.

Documents written by the well educated class, such as the clergy, were actually written in a script known as "procesal," in which it isn't unusual to find words of Arabic, Greek and Latin origin. The procesal style of writing is a continuous flowing script of rounded Arabic-like letters and abbreviations, having little or no punc tuation to indicate where sentences or phrases end. Bundles of documents called "legajos" may each con tain thousands of pages, which for the most part do not relate to each other. A researcher must examine each legajo one page at a time, each one only part of an esti mated fifty-million documents in the Spanish Archives at Seville. A document similar to the Garcia waybill reveals the many different forms which letters in procesal might take. For example: In that ancient script, the letter "A" is shown in fourteen different styles, "E" in twenty-one styles, "P" in sixteen and even the little used letter "Z" in thirteen styles! It would be virtually impos sible for someone today to forge such a document."

WayBill Josephina de le Martinique.jpg

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All

interesting yarn?

Several questions who is Jose Joaquin Garcia?

Is that his full name?

Spanish names traditionally have christian middle name and mother and fathers name tack on. Is Jose Joaquin Garcia full name " José Joaquín García de Noriega"?

José Joaquín García de Noriega was born March 20, 1735 in Santa Cruz de la Cañada, Rio Arriba, Provincia de Nuevo México, Reino de Nueva España (new Mexico New Spain ) His date of death unknown?

He was the Son of Capitán Juan Esteban García de Noriega and Luisa Gómez del Castillo

Husband of MarĂ­a de la ConcepciĂłn GarcĂ­a de la Mora

Father of José Candelario García de Noriega; Mateo García de Noriega; María de la Ascensión García de Noriega; María Josefa García; María Gertrudis García de Noriega and 6 others

Brother of José Anselmo García de Noriega; Juan Tomás García de Noriega; Domingo García de Noriega; Gregorio de Jesús García de Noriega; José Antonio Albino García de Noriega and 2 others.

It appear the family had a long connection with Santa Cruz de la Cañada,

fig44.jpg

B15.0.jpeg

It is not beyond the realms of impossibility. That the family might of had mining interests in the Utas mines, Later to be known as Josephine.

The settlement of Santa Cruz de la Canada was founded in 1695, becoming the second villa established by the Spanish in New Mexico (Santa Fe was the first). The present church was constructed beginning in 1733 and for many years was the largest and most impressive church in New Mexico.

Many consider it to be one of the most beautiful and culturally significant churches in the United States. Inside are examples of Spanish colonial art created by famous santeros including Jose Raphael Aragon, the "Laguna Santero", and the "Truchas Master". It also contains one of the earliest Spanish Colonial artworks, the bulto of "Santo Entierro" created by Fray Andres Garcia circa 1767. Also adorning the church are several beautiful paintings and bultos created in Mexico and brought to Santa Cruz de la Canada in the early to mid 19th century.

is there a family connection between Fray Andres Garcia and José Joaquín García de Noriega ? Fray Andres Garcia could of actually been the author of the waybill? Being a priest he would of been more familiar with procesal script than José Joaquín García de Noriega who most likely passed on the details of the utas mine most likely first discovered by his father?

The waybill posted is modern copy of "procesal" script. perhaps translated to modem text professor Russel R Rich.here is what procesal writing looks like below.

procesal1.jpg

The Waybill written below is in Italica. Suggests this was written copy of an older "procesal" script

WayBill.jpg

Looking deeper in professor I can confirm he was a professor at Birmingham Young university. His specialty was professor of "Church history"

But frustrating of all we have no clear reference where professor Rich actually found document. WE have 2 conflicting versions. One in Mexico city and the other in Seville?

Anyone serious looking into researching this I suggest hunting down papers belong to professor Russel R Rich.

Finding original source of this document is not impossible but needs time and bit of clever detective work.

Alas its time for me tomorrow to fly out.

Thank you Embrym for an interesting post.

coffee:coffee2:

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All

Here is a link to Professor Russell R Rich (1912-1988)papers from his time at Bingham young University.(1951-1984)

https://findingaid.lib.byu.edu/viewItem/UA%20611

russell r rich chairman of church studies..JPG

Here is more comprehensive look into his life.

Biographical notes:
Russell Rogers Rich was born in 1912 and passed away in 1988. He served as a BYU faculty member in the College of Relgion from 1953-1976. Prior to that he was a seminary teacher and institute director for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

From the description of Russell R. Rich collection, 1954-1984. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 367527770

Russell R. Rich (1912-1988) was a Mormon religious instructor in Utah.

Russell Rogers Rich was born January 5, 1912 to Jesse Pomeroy and Louise Rogers Rich in Chicago, Illinois. His father was a law student at the University of Chicago at the time of his birth. He attended school in Preston, Idaho and Logan, Utah, graduating from Logan High School in 1929. While in high school, he participated in both track and football. He attended one year at Utah State Agricultural College in Logan, Utah, before serving as an Mormon missionary in Germany and Austria from 1930-1933. He graduated from Utah State in 1936, serving as student body president his senior year.

Following graduation, Rich accepted a position in the LDS Church Education System. He taught seminary in Driggs, Idaho and Logan, Utah. In 1946 he accepted the position of Director of the Institute of Religion at Arizona State University in Tempe. He was awarded a master's degree in Church History from Brigham Young University in 1949 and the following year was appointed Institute Director at the University of Wyoming.

In 1953 he was transferred to Brigham Young University where he taught for twenty-four years for the College of Religion. From 1955 to 1960 he served as chairman of the Church History Department. He retired from active teaching in 1977. In 1955 he was awarded a Doctor of Education degree from the University of Wyoming.

Among the many classes Rich taught at BYU were the survey classes in LDS Church History (Religion 341, 342, 343) for which he prepared a detailed study guide to B.H. Robert's Comprehensive History of the Church. He also authored the current textbook for Religion 342, (History of the Church, 1846 to 1900) Ensign to the Nations. Rich taught several graduate classes in Mormon history, the student papers from these classes are an important part of this collection.

Rich is best known for his study of Mormon schismatic movements. He is an expert on various Mormon splinter groups, spending many of his summers visiting with these various groups and corresponding frequently with these various groups and corresponding frequently with the various churches' leaders and members. He not only collected their literature on his visits, but he also frequently subscribed to their publications. During the late 1950s and early 1960s he delivered several Leadership Week lectures on his research of these churches which were later published.

Rich married Margeret Cardon on June, 1936, in the Salt Lake City Temple and they are the parents of seven children. The Riches served as tour guides in the Independence, Missouri, Visitor's Center of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1981 to 1983.

Hmmm

Coffee? :coffee2:

Sorry Old habits die hard. I am retired.....

Anyway I hope this is one some help for any one wanting to follow up the story and shake a few leads loose. It might pay to dig for paper from his time at being Director of the Institute of Religion at Arizona State University in Tempe in 1946. Where he may of encountered documents from Latin american church studies?

Thank you for taking the time to read my yarns but alas time to go for now.

Until then please keep Don Jose on his toes for me. We will get a book out of him yet? hint hint. :-)

Kanacki

Last edited:

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I always welcome the research of any of "the legendary three amigos" and/or Amy.

Kanacki, the name on the three documents I have seen is: Capatin Jose Joaquin Garcia Icalbaleeta. He also authorized a book titled “The Day of the Work” from 1813-1814. He had to flee in 1814 because of the native Utes. Out of his 42 man party, only 8 made it back to Mexico. He is the half brother of Don Diego Garcia and their father was Don Pedro Garica.

In my opinion and without a doubt, this mine is the most famous and authenticated Spanish Mine. Numerous references can be found in Catholic Records, Spanish Records, and Royal records of Gold shipped back to Spain on the “Plate Fleets”, as well as other older journals and work books.

My research has narrowed it down to one of two locations, either the Henry Mountains in Utah or Hoyts Peak in Utah.

Just imagine, the Josephina de la Martinique Waybill states they had to bury 240 Carga's of Gold and 680 Carga's of Silver. For those of you who dont know one Carga is 250lbs of Gold. So roughly 65,000lbs of documented Gold is buried and no documentation shows it was recovered. Nor the 170,000lbs of Silver.

And, at Henry Mountains the story is 250 Spanish soldier were killed and buried in the mine shaff with the last shipment of Gold that was not accounted for...The Spanish Galleons came once a month for shipment.

There are many symbols on both mountains. Maltese Cross on each and hearts. Here is a teaser video of Hoyts Peak symbols:

Coffee :coffee2:

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Embrym

Quite a story I have to post quickly as my flight await departure.here is newspaper article of find near Las vegas in 1899? A box with documents. It many be totally unrelated. But maybe worth seeing if this party was actually connected to the mining activities in Utah in which the men was fleeing back southwest to the nearest Mexican port?

Northern Star Wednesday 19 July 1899, page 3.jpg

Kanacki.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanaci, they haveen't answeered me yet, ,can you send me the address or name again ? No email sent according to my records, must have inadvertantly cancelled it.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanaci, they haveen't answeered me yet, ,can you send me the address or name again ? No email sent according to my records, must have inadvertantly cancelled it.

Hello Amigo PM sent,

Hasta que nos encontremos de nuevo.

Kanacki

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that I will hate myself within the next 24 hours for asking this.

I took my night meds almost three hours ago and I’m still up and spent several hours reading more of the translated, Spanish Mining Laws..

I’m down to the 1849 laws, and for the first time, that I have noticed, they mention the Castilian vara, as opposed to Burgos vara!!?!!

Is there a different length between them, or is it just Castillo wanted to use his name in the later mining laws??

Changing the length of the vara would screw up the old records

My brain has done about all the thinking that it’s going to do for tonight....,

So... a little help??!??

BTW I just read through page 600.

Lots of nit-picking and examples.

#/80{>~

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that I will hate myself within the next 24 hours for asking this.

I took my night meds almost three hours ago and I’m still up and spent several hours reading more of the translated, Spanish Mining Laws..

I’m down to the 1849 laws, and for the first time, that I have noticed, they mention the Castilian vara, as opposed to Burgos vara!!?!!

Is there a different length between them, or is it just Castillo wanted to use his name in the later mining laws??

Changing the length of the vara would screw up the old records

My brain has done about all the thinking that it’s going to do for tonight....,

So... a little help??!??

BTW I just read through page 600.

Lots of nit-picking and examples.

#/80{>~

Howdy Mikel,

I have just finished looking into the legua measurement which kept changing over the centuries, and they did mention the vara Castellana de Burgos, so it is one and the same. Burgos is the capital of the kingdom of Castile. One of my ancestors is in a tomb in the cathedral of Burgos. Pedro de Velasco second count of Haro, and sixth constable of Castile. Embrym's posts got me looking into the Josephine, and to me it seems to be neither by Hoyt Peak, or the Henry Mountains. :dontknow:

Homar

Last edited:

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Mikel,

I have just finished looking into the legua measurement which kept changing over the centuries, and they did mention the vara Castellana de Burgos, so it is one and the same. Burgos is the capital of the kingdom of Castile. One of my ancestors is in a tomb in the cathedral of Burgos. Pedro de Velasco second count of Haro, and sixth constable of Castile. Embrym's posts got me looking into the Josephine, and to me it seems to be neither by Hoyt Peak, or the Henry Mountains. :dontknow:

Homar

Homar,

What have you come up with for its locations?? It has been mentioned many times for many locations. Many maps.

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mikel

Then they used as vara, a long pace, which was about one yard or little less. Was the old way to make a measurement for short distances . For longer distances they used legua, which was the distance walking in a hour, but like the varas which depended how tall would be the guy making the measurement, the legua depended of how easy would be the terrain which they had to travel. So the legua could be from 1 mile to 2,5 miles long.

Now, for the Josefine de Martinique mine, they give an instabile spot ( close to the headwaters of... ) and is very difficult to calculate the distance even with approximation. The only right way to " find " the spot, always with approximation, is to walk that distace at the first place. If after 12 hours of hiking you can't recognize the next clues , then the starting point is wrong and you have to go elsewhere.

Last edited:

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1782, Captain Jose Joaquin Garcia came into Utah with 500 men.

A better Spanish translation.
Charted Course - Year - 1722 - 1814. This charted course pertains to the Mine of the Yutas: Named later the Josephine - of Martinique, the Empress. This mine can he found, west 12 leagues of the river Timpagos headland and 2 leagues from the entrance of the river Santa Ana to the Southeast---travel 1 league south by the land of the valley of grass to a canyon which enters the valley from the east, continue this canyon east to a peak rounded and barren of growth, and from the peak measure 1,600 varas to the northeast Al Pont de la Mina hay una picachos chico y maderaje alcance en la basa de negra chico bordeThe mine of the Josephine - of Martinique has 3 tunnels and 1 shaft--2 tunnels of 1200 feet to the west and 1 tunnel of 975 feet runs to the southeast The tunnels and shaft are 1 mine. The shaft runs 103 vertical and has 4 rooms and 6 tunnels. These rooms served as workrooms for the transfer of mineral silver and gold. 80 feet apart at Noonday looking to the sun arc the rooms. By percentage, the metal - namely yellow metal which contains half of silver and Fifth part of gold. There are some ash pits at 137 feet In this mine we encountered slabs of virgin silver from 1 pound to as much as 125 pounds. In this place in the mint is the treasure of our com panions --128 feet from the entrance of the mine in the middle of the tunnel and 22 feet beyond 1 door of thick timber remains the treasure. At this juncture is many slabs of virgin silver and 655 Cargas of silver bars and 240 Cargas of gold bars that we value at 6 millions(1814- value). The treasure abandoned for fear of death by hostile natives---of 42 companions 8 survived. "The mine was worked in the year 1722 and was closed in 1814, as so marked on the page of the workbook by me Jose Joaquin Garcia, Captain -- Mexico City, November of the year 1814.+"

Pueblo_cultures_circa_1350_CE.png

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And what are the actual names of Timpagos river and Santa Ana river?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread