Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Well Time for old crow to fly south for awhile......

Until next time stay covid safe Amigos.

Crow

thanks Crow for your informative posts and captivating yarns...until next time then,,,

all the best!

TT

Tintin, and all of the others, how about posting I am busy moving, My son lost his lease. I noticed mt history lists me as the correct birth date butb not the year, that should be 1923, I am 97 years old. Will be back to posting very soon...ll start with Baranjal and La gloria pan ( partial repeat).

Finally moved, everything still hectic, boxes everywhere. Not exactly like setting up a campsite where you first attend to your sleeping accommodations...I 'll have coffee on as soon as the coals coals are sufficient,then we can relax, and start reminiscing. I have have a duzy, " El Naranjal". ever heard of it ?

Last edited:
Finally moved, everything still hectic, boxes everywhere. Not exactly like setting up a campsite where you first attend to your sleeping accommodations...I 'll have coffee on as soon as the coals coals are sufficient,then we can relax, and start reminiscing. I have have a duzy, " El Naranjal". ever heard of it ?

The Naranjal mine (more commonly known as El Naranjal) is the name of a legendary lost gold mine in the Sierra Mountains of Mexico. Folklorist J. Frank Dobie devoted part of his book "Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver" to the story of this legendary lost gold mine.
The mine was supposedly located at the bottom of a canyon, beside a river and an abandoned hacienda. Surrounding the site were groves of oranges, hence the name El Naranjal, which means the orange grove in Spanish. Alternately, some legends point to orange-colored gold ore from the mine as a source of the name.
Unlike other lost or legendary mines in this area, there is little hard evidence it ever existed, and may be purely a legend, taken from garbled accounts of the far more popular legendary lost mines of Tayopa.

One of these days some lucky prospector will finally find the answers that so many have sought over the years Don Jose...Whether it be the mother of all lost mines the one and only Guadalupe de Tayopa or the lesser known El Naranjal...

Wouldn't it be something...That will be the day...

Ed T :)

Hi jOHN, I already have found them, I offered to show the lat & long of the Naranjal which is on the Tayopa holdings.>evone looks for it in the state of Durango, not researching enough. Originally it was, but now is in Chihuahua How is that possible ? will post the why on my next post. it has en a long time John, welcome back, coffee?

Last edited:
The Naranjal mine (more commonly known as El Naranjal) is the name of a legendary lost gold mine in the Sierra Mountains of Mexico. Folklorist J. Frank Dobie devoted part of his book "Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver" to the story of this legendary lost gold mine.
The mine was supposedly located at the bottom of a canyon, beside a river and an abandoned hacienda. Surrounding the site were groves of oranges, hence the name El Naranjal, which means the orange grove in Spanish. Alternately, some legends point to orange-colored gold ore from the mine as a source of the name.
Unlike other lost or legendary mines in this area, there is little hard evidence it ever existed, and may be purely a legend, taken from garbled accounts of the far more popular legendary lost mines of Tayopa.

A part of the text posted by embrym: " The mine was supposedly located at the bottom of a canyon, beside a river and an abandoned hacienda. "

IMHO, the Naranjal mine is Guadalupe de Tayopa mine which is situated at the bottom of a canyon , close to a small river and only about 160 meters from the abandoned hacienda which was nothing else but the ruins of the mission and church of Tayopa.

View attachment 1855347

Anything is possible Marius...

Don Jose just may know IF Guadalupe de Tayopa and El Naranjal are one and the same...Maybe he will fill us in one of these days...

Ed T :)

Hi jOHN, I already have found them, I offered to show the lat & long of the Naranjal which is on the Tayopa holdings.>evone looks for it in the state of Durango, not researching enough. Originally it was, but now is in Chihuahua How is that possible ? will post the why on my next post. it has en a long time John, welcome back, coffee?

It has been a while Don Jose...I have been laying low trying to figure out a way to make it back to Reno one of these days...lol...I had asked my daughter last week IF I had ever told her about the time I gave a way the multi million dollar diamond... :( I could have sold it and used the proceeds to try to make my way back to El Naranjal in good old Durango...

Oh well...I guess that it was just not meant to be...Who knows IF it will be God's will one day???I guess that we will just have to wait and see...

Thanks for the offer of your sock coffee Don Jose...And I sure I am not the only one waiting to hear your tale of El Naranjal...

Ed T :notworthy:

What was described in the quoted text above as an abandoned hacienda, is the same with the " ranch " and " capilla " from the map that was given to Don Jose by a friend of him. Actually on that hill which is oriented N-E are the ruins of the mission and church of the Real de Tayopa.

map.JPG

On that hill and around the church, are hiden all the treasures that are depicted in the Tayopa treasure map. The only treasure at the east side of the hill, is what is depicted in the treasure map with a square symbol. The treasure map is mirrored like advises a treasure symbol in the map.

stylized 2.JPG

Last edited:
Real de Tayopa in a GE image, like is depicted in Dobie's map. In reality, the chuch is where the cross on the church depicted in Dobie's map starts. The real church faces real south and the Dobie's map has a compass ( about 9* average ) orientation.

View attachment 1856156

It's not me who said the hill of the church points to N-E. I stopped to believe in coincidences.

OK, El Naranjal lies in Durango, but not in Durango state but in the Provence of Durango.. The prov contained the present states of Sonora, Chihuahua, Sinaloa, and Durango, and others. It presently lies in Chihuahua on the Tayopa Claim. How is that possible? cause it was in Durango Provence not Durango state. Durango state has been "scoured by mining engrs, geologists, prospectors and of course Treasure hunters "The key word is "state or the province. " It was in the Provence, it was split up in about 1812 .after the Juarez revolution. Simple when you do a little research. I had help from Benito, an indian that found te tunnel lined with sacks of orange olored gold. He would cut off pieces of dore gold whenever he needed money. Many tried to follow him, without success. but for some reason he liked Bert and me., perhaps it was because we never down played the Indians.. I learned that early in my travels in the world. He gave us the final clue. a drill rod driven into the rock for attaching a rope to. I am too old to take advantage of it now and my Berti has been gone for about 5 year--- sniff..it doesn't seem so important now.

Last edited:
OK, El Naranjal lies in Durango, but not in Durango state but in the Provence of Durango.. The prov contained the present states of Sonora, Chihuahua, Sinaloa, and Durango, and others. It presently lies in Chihuahua on the Tayopa Claim. How is that possible ? cause it was in Durango Provence not Durango state. Durango state has been "scoured by mining engrs, geologists, prospectors and of course Treasure hunters "The key word is "state or the provinse. " It was in the Provence, I it was split up in about 1812 .after the Fuarez revoloution. Simple when you do a little research. I had help from Benito, an indian that found te tunnel lined with sacks of orange olored gold. He would cut off pieces of dore gold whenever he needed money. Many tried to follow him, without success. but for some reason he liked Bert and me., perhaps it was because we never down played the Indians.. I learned that early in my travels in the world. He gave us the final clue. a drill rod driven into the ock for attaching a rope to. I am too old now to take advantage of it now and my Berti has been gone for about 5 year--- sniff..it doesn't seem so important now.

Wow. Nice. Did you succeed in selling your claim, Don Jose?

Embrym, no I gave it to Mexico as part of her Patrimony But they. still carry me on their books as the owner

Don Jose,

I'd work out a deal and mine it with you myself however I suspect I would have the same problems as I did in the Philippine Islands. The Philippine Islands are a great place to find a wealth of treasure and gold, barring in mind some stressful or life-threatening inconveniences, i.e., scammers, bandits, kidnappers, roving NPA'S, armed Muslim separatists & other related groups(MNLF, BIFF, breakaway MILF factions & Abu Sayyaf),predatory police, military, gov't officials & local political kingpins.

Mexico has the same problem now-a-days. Would need to work out deals and bribes. Still very dangerous.

Maybe it is good for mother Mexico to have her back.

OK, El Naranjal lies in Durango, but not in Durango state but in the Provence of Durango.. The prov contained the present states of Sonora, Chihuahua, Sinaloa, and Durango, and others. It presently lies in Chihuahua on the Tayopa Claim. How is that possible? cause it was in Durango Provence not Durango state. Durango state has been "scoured by mining engrs, geologists, prospectors and of course Treasure hunters "The key word is "state or the province. " It was in the Provence, it was split up in about 1812 .after the Juarez revolution. Simple when you do a little research. I had help from Benito, an indian that found te tunnel lined with sacks of orange olored gold. He would cut off pieces of dore gold whenever he needed money. Many tried to follow him, without success. but for some reason he liked Bert and me., perhaps it was because we never down played the Indians.. I learned that early in my travels in the world. He gave us the final clue. a drill rod driven into the rock for attaching a rope to. I am too old to take advantage of it now and my Berti has been gone for about 5 year--- sniff..it doesn't seem so important now.

I will concur with you Don Jose...I too believe that El Naranjal is in Durango...I still have a small amount of ore from the area I believe to be El Naranjal...But who can say for certain IF I have truly been to El Naranjal???

I can always dream... ;)

Ed T

If Benito said there were sacks orange colored dore gold, then I must change the location from my first statement ( the square from the tresure map ) and must go to another place in Dobie's map depicted as " CASA FRUIDITION " ( marked with orange oval on the GE image ).

View attachment 1856352 map.JPG

Always I had a doubt the Benito hill to be the treasure site, because was depicted separately from the church.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back