What's new

Misc. Electoral Pins

IRHP

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I'm helping a friend find out if what she has is of any value. Some of these old pins just have historical figures in black and white with no name on the pins, and others have color and some text. I'll list what I'm able as best I can and maybe you guys could help out:

- A Blue "PAT for FIRST LADY" Pin

- A Red and Blue "TRUMAN BARKLEY" Pin

- A White Pin with a picture of some old guy with a large grey mustache wearing a suit. =/

- A Red, White and Blue "I LIKE IKE" Pin

- A Blue Pin with a Red Stripe through the middle saying "COX ROOSEVELT"

- A Red and White Pinwith a picture of two men, one who looks like Steve Martin saying "DEWEY BRICKER"

- A White and Orange Pin with a picture of a shoe saying "Don't let this happen to YOU! VOTE FOR IKE!"

- A White with Red and Blue stripes Pin saying "ROCKEFELLER FOR PRESIDENT"

- A Red Pin with a nutcracker looking cartoon character with the Chvrolet symbol saying "WATCH THE LEADER." Not really a presidential pin though hm...?

- A White Pin with a picture of Warren G. Harding saying "FOR PRESIDENT WARREN G HARRING"

- A White Pin saying "TRUMAN WAS SCREWEY TO BUILD A PORCH FOR DEWEY"

- And finally a White/Blue Pin with a cowboy hat saying "LBJ ALL THE WAY"

...*sigh* Thanks.
 
No one can tell much from your post,however,I can tell you that there were a lot of reproductions and put out by different cereal,etc companies as a promotion.On the back side along the edge some will say 'reproduction'.None of the reproductions have any value.Goodluck on your's.
 
Upvote 0
;D Welcome to TN IRHP. Pics would be best because there are reproductions out there and I recognize some of the ones you describe. Ill try to dig out my collection to compare.
 
Upvote 0
WE NEED PICS!!!

Tim
 

Attachments

  • Useless.webp
    Useless.webp
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,898
Upvote 0
Spooky said:
IRHP said:
- A White Pin with a picture of some old guy with a large grey mustache wearing a suit. =/

???
Did you just try to sell these at a Pawn Shop in Nevada?
(sorry, inside joke)


NOT trying to be confrontational here guy, but.............

First thing I thought of. (I saw the show, too)
 
Upvote 0
useless icons.gif
 

Attachments

  • useless without images.webp
    useless without images.webp
    37.9 KB · Views: 3,556
Upvote 0
I am still searching for my buttons. Ill try to help. :)
 
Upvote 0
mick56 said:
Spooky said:
IRHP said:
- A White Pin with a picture of some old guy with a large grey mustache wearing a suit. =/

???
Did you just try to sell these at a Pawn Shop in Nevada?
(sorry, inside joke)


NOT trying to be confrontational here guy, but.............

First thing I thought of. (I saw the show, too)

Only the best show on TV. :wink:
 
Upvote 0
I would suggest you take them to the dudes in las vegas NV, See pawn stars on the TV - LOL
Tell them Brady sent you
we need pics of your items
Brady
 
Upvote 0
bradyboy said:
I would suggest you take them to the dudes in las vegas NV, See pawn stars on the TV - LOL
Tell them Brady sent you
we need pics of your items
Brady
Aw c'mon brady. You dont really think those guys in Vegas are better than the combined talent of TN... do you? ;D There certainly are people here that can answer your questions but you need to realize that some of us dont have the time nor are we getting paid like the pawn shop guys.

We are just rubbin you IRHP about the pictures because we love to see them.

Well "Truman was Screwy to Build a Porch for Dewey" in '48 and your "old guy with a large grey mustache wearing a suit" is William Howard Taft from the 1908 presidential election..

I cant find my Rockefeller button at this moment but if you come back and post the pic, Ill tell you more. Stick around IRHP, you may like it here. ;D

IRHP said:
- A Blue "PAT for FIRST LADY" Pin

- A Red and Blue "TRUMAN BARKLEY" Pin

- A White Pin with a picture of some old guy with a large grey mustache wearing a suit. =/

- A Red, White and Blue "I LIKE IKE" Pin

- A Blue Pin with a Red Stripe through the middle saying "COX ROOSEVELT"

- A Red and White Pinwith a picture of two men, one who looks like Steve Martin saying "DEWEY BRICKER"
- A White and Orange Pin with a picture of a shoe saying "Don't let this happen to YOU! VOTE FOR IKE!"

- A White with Red and Blue stripes Pin saying "ROCKEFELLER FOR PRESIDENT"

- A Red Pin with a nutcracker looking cartoon character with the Chvrolet symbol saying "WATCH THE LEADER." Not really a presidential pin though hm...?

- A White Pin with a picture of Warren G. Harding saying "FOR PRESIDENT WARREN G HARRING"

- A White Pin saying "TRUMAN WAS SCREWEY TO BUILD A PORCH FOR DEWEY"

- And finally a White/Blue Pin with a cowboy hat saying "LBJ ALL THE WAY"

...*sigh* Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • political buttons.webp
    political buttons.webp
    81.1 KB · Views: 493
Upvote 0
If your pins are the ones that are pictured by Bigcyprushunter, then they are fakes or reproductions. I've collected politicals for over 40 years, and most of the time I can spot a fake from the real thing in just a couple of seconds. Besides Kleenex putting out a set, gas companys, banks, and other businesses have used them over the years. Some came out in 1964, again in 1968, others in 1972, and just about every election since then.

It is a federal law, "The Hobby Protection Act", that was suggested and then passed into law, making it a federal crime to produce campaign items that are not marked as either a reproduction for some other way so as to determine that it is not an original campaign piece. The items pictured by Bigcyprus are marked on the curl as A-D-1972 followed by a number. Each piece in the set has a different number. The American Political Items Collectors were the ones responsible for getting the bill thru congress and into law. Though most of the items pictured in this particular set actually exists, the true version is either a different size, or is a celluloid item. That means that it is a paper pictured item under clear plastic or celluloid, and not just paint on tin.
 
Upvote 0
nebstater said:
If your pins are the ones that are pictured by Bigcyprushunter, then they are fakes or reproductions. I've collected politicals for over 40 years, and most of the time I can spot a fake from the real thing in just a couple of seconds. Besides Kleenex putting out a set, gas companys, banks, and other businesses have used them over the years. Some came out in 1964, again in 1968, others in 1972, and just about every election since then.

It is a federal law, "The Hobby Protection Act", that was suggested and then passed into law, making it a federal crime to produce campaign items that are not marked as either a reproduction for some other way so as to determine that it is not an original campaign piece. The items pictured by Bigcyprus are marked on the curl as A-D-1972 followed by a number. Each piece in the set has a different number. The American Political Items Collectors were the ones responsible for getting the bill thru congress and into law. Though most of the items pictured in this particular set actually exists, the true version is either a different size, or is a celluloid item. That means that it is a paper pictured item under clear plastic or celluloid, and not just paint on tin.
You are correct the set I posted are 1972 reproductions. :icon_thumright: I was just waiting for his response.

I assumed he has the 1972 repro set. How else would I be able to post all the buttons correctly? Im guessing he has the same.
I picked them up for a buck at the flea market about 20 years ago. They came in a larger set with a red felt background.. I think they were also gas station giveaways.

I think his Cheverolet and Goldwater are genuine.
 
Upvote 0
You are correct the set I posted are 1972 reproductions. :icon_thumright: I was just waiting for his response.

I assumed he has the 1972 repro set. How else would I be able to post all the buttons correctly? Im guessing he has the same.
I picked them up for a buck at the flea market about 20 years ago. They came in a larger set with a red felt background.. I think they were also gas station giveaways.

I think his Cheverolet and Goldwater are genuine.
[/quote]
You are right on the Chevy pin. It is legit. The AuH20 pin, I don't know one way or the other without a picture.
 
Upvote 0
Heres one of the 1972 button set on a card I picked up somewhere. I used to collect EVERYTHING. lol. The back says American Oil Company. It says the 38 button reproduction set can be purchased for $8.95.
 

Attachments

  • Political button card.webp
    Political button card.webp
    107.2 KB · Views: 210
  • Political button card back .webp
    Political button card back .webp
    61.8 KB · Views: 209
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom