smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything in this group was found in the same place...there's a couple that are out of place as far as my experience. I can explain the meg tooth. If we find them now, native americans could have found them. I don't see any indication the the tooth was altered for use as a tool. The other oddball is the large piece upper right. It's a large, flat, thin piece of coquina, ground grooves on both sides for hafting I suspect. Probably couldn't go more central in between coasts here and I guess the distance to either coast in that spot is no more than 75 miles. I've never found a coquina tool before or since. Some of the bone items were damaged years ago while I was setting up for a picture and had all that stuff laid out on a blanket. Turned around for just a second and my dog was crunching on a few...jeez! I never did catalogue any of the pottery I found so I couldn't show any of that with any certainty now. There were numerous shards/sherds there along with some points and many brokes and debitage. If you want pix of anything close up just ask and I'll take some more. There is one antler piece there that looks as if it was altered to be a handle. Some interesting marks on it. 102_1053.JPG 102_1055.JPG 102_1056.JPG 102_1057.JPG 102_1058.JPG 102_1059.JPG 102_1060.JPG 102_1061.JPG

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s the age do you think, looks similar to a hopewell site I’ve found, lots of bone scrapers drills pottery and the like. Also the really dark bone looks much older. You have a reason it’s different from the others?
I had my dog crunch one from my site too... for years they showed no interest in the bones I had some drying from a recent trip to the site and one of them decided to crunch a scapula from something raccoon sized.

Last edited:

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604603884.149206.jpg
Your one labeled 18a also looks very similar
I’ve always wondered about that one because of the shape,

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s the age do you think, looks similar to a hopewell site I’ve found, lots of bone scrapers drills pottery and the like. Also the really dark bone looks much older. You have a reason it’s different from the others?
I had my dog crunch one from my site too... for years they showed no interest in the bones I had some drying from a recent trip to the site and one of them decided to crunch a scapula from something raccoon sized.

If you are referring to the darker pieces left of the ruler in the last pic those are stag pieces. The only other piece that's kinda darker and bone is that thing next to the ruler on the right. I'm not sure what it's purpose was and that's all the piece I found but it does look like an ancient hole drilled thru. Every time I think I might have a time line down for my finds there is dispute by enough knowledgeable people here to talk me into rethinking. Maybe late Archaic or Woodland is where I'm at now.
Your small tool pictured is much like mine in that pile. I suspect a drill, perforator, or awl for some task. Mine is biface, and on the rounded end it's worked all the way around like it could also be used as a scraper of some sort.

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice artifacts, what area ?..I know what they are except the tubular piece with hole in end,?

It would be considered St. Johns Drainage. I'm not certain which piece you're talking about. If the upper left piece, it's a piece of hollow bone, ground smooth on both ends , possibly just a bead. If you're talking about the piece center right of the ruler, unknown item but has a man made hole bored thru it.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are your antler tips drilled like beads or do you think they were flaking tools or I’ve seen them in overstreet as points.. found a few of those too

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are your antler tips drilled like beads or do you think they were flaking tools or I’ve seen them in overstreet as points.. found a few of those too

I'm not sure if it works for everybody but I can click on the pix a few times and zoom in. I don't have any drilled antler tips. The one next to the ruler has grooves cut into the inner surface which was hollowed out and while shaping the outer surface left a little nub in what looks to be an attempt to facilitate tying a tool on. The other tip laying next to that one is snapped near where the end of a groove was cut and I think you can see that in the pic.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604626158.367043.jpg
I assume these are tines. Couldn’t tell if the hole was a natural damage or drilled

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some close up shots of the work on one of the antler tips I spoke of. Definitely some man made moves here. Even poor antler is still solid although some is like bone marrow inside, but this one was hollowed out and cut to shape. I find this one is of the more interesting ones. 102_1063.JPG 102_1064.JPG 102_1065.JPG

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of the pieces looks like knapping tools and the piece of Coquina looks like an abrading stone for a knapping kit

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I was setting up for a picture and had all that stuff laid out on a blanket. Turned around for just a second and my dog was crunching on a few...jeez!

It’s funny, but Not funny.

A few years back, I found the tiniest and most perfect pinky-nail sized milky-white quartz triangle -needle tip and all. It was a work of miniature art for sure. It was also a miniature of a well established type.

I handed it to my son to inspect under the kitchen lights and he dropped it. Ceramic flooring ended it’s perfection in a fraction of a second. I heard it ricochet in two directions

We both just stared at each other in silence

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I was setting up for a picture and had all that stuff laid out on a blanket. Turned around for just a second and my dog was crunching on a few...jeez!

It’s funny, but Not funny.

A few years back, I found the tiniest and most perfect pinky-nail sized milky-white quartz triangle -needle tip and all. It was a work of miniature art for sure. It was also a miniature of a well established type.

I handed it to my son to inspect under the kitchen lights and he dropped it. Ceramic flooring ended it’s perfection in a fraction of a second. I heard it ricochet in two directions

We both just stared at each other in silence
..I broke a point a couple of days ago while photographing, not Lol.

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's some close up shots of the work on one of the antler tips I spoke of. Definitely some man made moves here. Even poor antler is still solid although some is like bone marrow inside, but this one was hollowed out and cut to shape. I find this one is of the more interesting ones. View attachment 1877362 View attachment 1877363 View attachment 1877364

That’s a very cool piece and with a little thought about NA tools it’s use can be figured out ( I think ) nice rescue...I was talking about the bead, I didn’t know if it was a pipe stem, thanks for sharing, I like all stuff but I’m of course partial to fla.

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some I just took of both the antler piece and the bone(tube). It may well be a pipe stem but all I know about it is that the ends have been ground smooth and rounded off. This was not a water find so I doubt that the smoothing was due to water damage.

Attachments

• 102_1066.JPG
    102_1066.JPG
    359.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 102_1067.JPG
    102_1067.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 102_1068.JPG
    102_1068.JPG
    562.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 102_1069.JPG
    102_1069.JPG
    668.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 102_1070.JPG
    102_1070.JPG
    684 KB · Views: 27
  • 102_1071.JPG
    102_1071.JPG
    306 KB · Views: 23
  • 102_1072.JPG
    102_1072.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 102_1073.JPG
    102_1073.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 102_1074.JPG
    102_1074.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 102_1075.JPG
    102_1075.JPG
    350.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 102_1076.JPG
    102_1076.JPG
    678.4 KB · Views: 23

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
This is just awesome.
The black bone? piece has the look of an animal? Ears and a longer snout?
and the “one off” has the correct texture and form to be some sort of abrasive tool.
The sharks teeth Ive found are from around Omaha Ne. On the Missouri river. Little things, smaller than most “birdpoints”, would a bigger tooth cut like a steak knife? I really dont know, but if so, no-need to alter, just slice off another piece for me , please..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread