Modified Plug popper

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I originally bought this plug popper from Windy City Detectors. I liked it but when you burrowed down 6"+ it was kinda of a bear to push the plug back out without bending the shaft. Well, one day I did just that and had a hell of a time straightening it back out (it never truly straightened out perfect) but got it straight enough to continue using it. I then saw a video on youtube of a guy who made a homemade popper using a caulking gun and exhaust pipe so I decided to try a retro-fit a caulking gun to my popper. It worked and it's solid like a tank. Let me know what you think. HH
Thanks,
John

Attachments

• plugcring.jpg
    plugcring.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,214
  • DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 955
  • DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 886
  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 922

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding job John!

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your replies. It wasn't hard to do. The caulking gun is the good home depot one. The nice thing about that caulking gun is it all comes apart without having to break any welds and the shaft is the perfect length. I was able to test it in my back yard when we had a temporary thaw and burrowed down the full length of the popper and it pushed it out effortlessly. HH
John

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
I think you have just made yourself a nice product there. So when is Ron going to start stocking them?

What's the diameter and length of the pipe, and how would you replace a full size length of plug? I'm just thinking you try to recover the find from the end of the plug as you push it out a little at a time over a cloth... then when you get the target, you dump the dirt from the cloth back in the hole first, then push the whole popper back in the hole and caulk away while keeping some pressure down on the tool. That would basically push the plug cleanly back in the hole without it crumbling all apart. Am I even close here?

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brett said:
I think you have just made yourself a nice product there. So when is Ron going to start stocking them?

What's the diameter and length of the pipe, and how would you replace a full size length of plug? I'm just thinking you try to recover the find from the end of the plug as you push it out a little at a time over a cloth... then when you get the target, you dump the dirt from the cloth back in the hole first, then push the whole popper back in the hole and caulk away while keeping some pressure down on the tool. That would basically push the plug cleanly back in the hole without it crumbling all apart. Am I even close here?
Well actually if the plug crumbles apart then the ground is to dry and you shouldn't use a plug popper under those conditions. What I do is when ground conditions are right I burrow down with the popper and wiggle it around to slightly widen the hole so the plug will fit back in. If one half of the plug doesn't go all the way in then you can use the popper to push it all the way back down. A pinpointer helps locate the exact location of the coin so usually the plug's only in two pieces so there's no loose dirt to dump back in the hole. The length of the pipe is 8"+, diameter is 2.5". Hope that helps. HH
John

P.S. My comments apply to lawns. For the woods and dirt areas, I use a shovel or my lesche.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Yeah that helps, thanks. I would really like to try one of these out sometime... maybe I'll run into you sometime.

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good. I'm goint to try to meet up with all the Illinois guys more this year. Last year I had to many distractions. HH
John

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Gotta change that handle to innovative John now. Might have to try that on my 6" diameter popper, then again, can't hardly carry the thing as it is....

Been outside Lake County lately?

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Gotta change that handle to innovative John now. Might have to try that on my 6" diameter popper, then again, can't hardly carry the thing as it is....

Been outside Lake County lately?
I'd like to take credit for the idea but I can't. Like I said on the top of the post, I saw a video on youtube of a guy that made a home popper and I borrowed his idea. No, I haven't been out detecting at all this year yet but I do plan on going outside Lake county. I been doing alot of research over the winter and have a few spots in mind. I'll PM you if your interested.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made these a while back, the 3"X 5" tube (can get abt 8 in depth with it) I use with my cleansweep coil because it doesn't get that deep, and the 2.5"x4" tube I can get abt 11" I use with my other coils. The shaft to push the tube out is a 3/8 inch bolt, don't have to worry abt it bending. Cost abt 15 bucks to make.

Attachments

• 02-24-09_0913.jpg
    02-24-09_0913.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 865
OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"jharhed" Those look pretty indestructable. You can't beat the price at $15 either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread