Monday hunt w/ D-dub in Chicago: 2 silvers and a wheatie farm

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D-dub drove out on Monday morning in his search for his first silver. Unfortunately, he didn't get any silver, but did manage some other goodies and a ton of clad.

I got lucky and found a '36 Washington and a '38 Merc, along with 10 wheaties.
2x 1930, 3x 1944, 1x 1945, 1x 1946, 1x 1949, 1x 1953d, & 1x 1956d

There must've been a wheatie farm in one area, 'cause we must've pulled out 10 from a 10'x10' area. Not too far away from the wheatie farm is where I found my Merc. (right by an old tree). I was telling D-dub how much I love hunting around old trees. Bothe silvers were found within a couple of feet from the trunk of an old tree, and no more than 4" deep.

I'm sure you will find your first silver soon D-dub; you came soooo close with a bunch of those quarters and dimes. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• washington front.jpg
    washington front.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 181
  • washington back.jpg
    washington back.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 187

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
You had a great day there, congrats on the silver. :thumbsup:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Great silver :thumbsup:

Big old trees are great places for the oldies to hide :wink:

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
litefire56 said:
You had a great day there, congrats on the silver. :thumbsup:

Besides diggind up 100's of bottle caps, I guess it wasnt too bad. The Merc and the bottle caps gave me the same signal, so I dug up a lot of bottle caps.

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watercolor said:
Wow!! Great silver :thumbsup:

Big old trees are great places for the oldies to hide :wink:

I was telling D-dub the same thing....Work the old trees hard. Kids used to climb them, hang upside down and lose their money. ;D

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kimsdad said:
Nice finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ole' silver George was a tough one for me to find. I love digging those gorgeous Mercs, too!! :wink:

Mercs are one of my favorite to find too. I was telling D-dub that I don't want to leave w/out one, and it just so happened to be the last coin I dug

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Thanks for inviting me out Jon. Had a great time hunting with you. My take for the day was $5.97 in clad with 3 of the pennies being wheaties from the "wheatie garden". We were pulling them out left and right!

Right next to the garden was a bunch of benches surrounding a small stage. I imagined people sitting on the benches listening to a band or the 5 gallon bucket drummers due to the location :) and then getting up and pulling change out of their pockets to tip. I side stepped my silver finding efforts to fill my pouch. Founds lots of quarters and dimes in between the benches and the stage. I just couldn't pass it up.

The ground at the park we were at wasn't agreeing with the F5 and the stock coil. It was the highest mineralization I have seen yet and with all the trash(#$*&! screw caps) was having a hard time finding a clean spot to ground balance. Because of that I couldn't seem to find any targets deeper than 4 or 5". I really wish Fisher would get it together and release that 11" DD coil. They say another 3-5 weeks......holding breath....

Even though the silver eluded me once again, I still had a great time and managed to get a nice neck tan!

Here is a quick picture of my take.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 162

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Nice digs fellas! Sometime when you're sure of your target signal, compare the two machines against the signal prior to digging and maybe that can "prime" your read on the F5 Dan.

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Nice digs fellas! Sometime when you're sure of your target signal, compare the two machines against the signal prior to digging and maybe that can "prime" your read on the F5 Dan.

good idea Batts. but there was sooooo many bottle caps, that that would be tough. Some of those bottle caps were bouncing between dime and quarter in the silver range. :icon_scratch:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Yes, it's VERY hard not to dig pouches full of those damn wino caps at that park. Don't worry, it's not you... it happens to everyone there!

Congrats on the silver Jon! D-Dub, that's an incredible amount of clad for a day there... you must have had the King's Hoard of wino caps to compliment that clad haul.

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
The first pouch purge was full of them. After that I became selective in digging those signals. The wine caps would ID as a penny for 3-4 swings and then ID as a dime for 1. The F5 also shows ground phase over a target and it was always the same. Every once in a while I would dig one up that ID'd slightly different. I am sure that in doing so I passed up some goodies but what are you gonna do.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt guys!!! Don't worry you will get you silver soon!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread