What's new

Monday @ the Trash Pit(tm)

Clad the Impaler

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
756
Reaction score
94
Golden Thread
0
Enjoyed a nice day @ what's rapidly becoming our favorite place...(jkjk). Myself, Treasure Fiend, Lowbatts, D-Dub, Watercolor, even a special guest appearance by Lookin4Seated (who got to watch as I pulled silver out o' the ground!!). ;D We hunted for about 5 hrs today, covering a lot of ground. All my finds came from one small area. I hit a neighborhood park and tot lot later for a few pocket spills and some easily dug clad. Totals for the day: '35 Merc (silver #3 for the year), 3 wheaties ('18D (mintmark isn't clear on this one so it may or may not be a D), '52, '52D), $2.09 1/2 in clad (4 clad quarters, 10 clad dimes, 1 clad Jefferson nickel (a '54D so this one's getting saved), and 4 1/2 memorial pennies (4 copper and 1/2 of a crumbly, crusty zincer (does that even count??)), and a religious pendant that I nicked the back of w/ my Lesche (fortunately it isn't silver). A fun day was had by all. Notes from today's hunt: I hate it when I don't follow common sense and basic rules. Silly me, I couldn't see the last digit of the date on the Merc, and wanted to see if it was a '35 or a '36, so I thumb rubbed it. I figured it would be okay, as it had already been rinsed in water. WRONG!! After getting it home, and washing it up w/ soap and warm water, I noticed the area I rubbed it has fine scratches and the patina/age coloring is gone!! :'( :'( It's my own fault for doing this...I'm just glad it's a common date Merc w/ no mint mark, otherwise I'd be REALLY pissed. Also, I need to get better and be more careful w/ my digging (pinpointer will hopefully be purchased next month), as I scraped the religious pendant and a few of the clad coins while digging them. This seems to be a recurring problem with me, and I HAVE to get it under control before I damage an old, rare, or silver coin. Special thanks to Lowbatts for the temporary loan of his second/backup pinpointer, and HUGE thanks to Watercolor for finding my Lesche after I'd lost it (D'OH!!). Thanks as well to TF and D-Dub for their assistance w/ digging (sometimes a Lesche just doesn't cut it). Pics below. Enjoy!! :)
 

Attachments

  • Picture 51.webp
    Picture 51.webp
    4.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Picture 52.webp
    Picture 52.webp
    3 KB · Views: 120
  • Picture 53.webp
    Picture 53.webp
    5.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Picture 54.webp
    Picture 54.webp
    3.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Picture 55.webp
    Picture 55.webp
    3.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Picture 56.webp
    Picture 56.webp
    3 KB · Views: 135
  • Picture 57.webp
    Picture 57.webp
    2.9 KB · Views: 119
Nice hunt there Count Cladula :thumbsup:
that patina is really soft on silvers... Nice job on #3. I thought about going to the trash pit today, didn't know the party was on up there, but I've got a spot down here that I like, though its rapidly drying up. When you get more mercs, you may want to consider changing your name to Merc and the Magic Tones (if you've seen Blues Brothers...).
 
Awesome job buddy!!! When you called me over to double check your target I knew it was silver, well I got a solid quarter signal but it turned out to be a dime. :laughing7: That place is so wierd, nothing reads the way its supposed to - wheats coming in as quarters, dimes, zinolns, bottlecaps. Dimes coming in as quarters and pennies, memorials at 6+ inches, silver coming in at 4 inches, what a fun place to detect because you truly never know what you have until you dig it!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Awesome Hunt! Congrats on your 3rd silver! Looks like a Barber is next for you!
 
TreasureFiend said:
Awesome job buddy!!! When you called me over to double check your target I knew it was silver, well I got a solid quarter signal but it turned out to be a dime. :laughing7: That place is so wierd, nothing reads the way its supposed to - wheats coming in as quarters, dimes, zinolns, bottlecaps. Dimes coming in as quarters and pennies, memorials at 6+ inches, silver coming in at 4 inches, what a fun place to detect because you truly never know what you have until you dig it!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah....kinda like your coin in a bottlecap... :tongue3: Is that the dirt fishing equivalent of a ship in a bottle??? :laughing9:
 
Pocket Spill said:
Awesome Hunt! Congrats on your 3rd silver! Looks like a Barber is next for you!

Let's hope so!! (or maybe a capped bust or a seated.... :tongue3:)
 
Great hunt!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dropping things, eh?

I used to drop/lose stuff all the time - I'm getting better now. Actually I'm not - I just double check all my stuff regularly while I'm hunting and if something's missing I usually find it right away.
 
Great meeting you Paul. I can't believe I passed that Merc up. I scanned that area 20 minutes before you pulled it out not to mention that was in the same area that I found a few keepers last week and know that I checked it then too. I guess today just wasn't my day. Glad it was you that found it. You definitely earned it!
 
You were rocking that Ace Paul, good hunt!
 
Nice looking dime...
 
The more you hunt, the less you will trust signals :wink:

Nice hunt! (don't need no stinkin' Lesche :icon_pirat:)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom