old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
220.5.jpg 222.5.jpg 220.5.jpg 222.5.jpg 224.5.jpg 225.5.jpg 226.5.jpg 227.5.jpg 228.5.jpg

Attachments

• 229.5.jpg
    229.5.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 636
  • 230.jpg
    230.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 631
Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG, those are some killer finds!! Is this from one outing or several? I'm embarrassed to show my finds now, nothing like these at all.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These better finds where found in the last 5 to 6 years. I have a coffee can full of broken points and other artifacts that I have found.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
OUTSTANDING. When you invited me to our family reunion, LOL Love that shafts straightner and the drills.

wells

Mar 1, 2008
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, thanks, nice to see something new and quality ! Real nice. Over the years i've seen very few Montana artifacts. Thanks again.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking artifacts and some very beautiful material.

I've got a nice tray of Montana artifacts that I acquired when I put together my states collection.

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice representative collection! Good pictures!

I was surprised how large the first gray porcellanite? blade is - wow almost 8 inches! And the corner notched Pelican Lake at over 3 inches!

Very cool iron point with the bend!

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments. The metal trade point was found in a sandy area below a large bluff. I found the top part of a buffalo skull about 100 yards away. The bluff above the site is too high to be a buffalo jump. I cannot hunt on this property beacuse some people had trespassed and poached an elk, a mule deer, and a antelope. It was a good area for finding artifacts. I even found some old pottery pieces. The one "kniferiver colored" point is what we call a "lovell constricted " from the Big Horn basin area east of Cody Wy. The abrader or shaft smoother are not easy to find. I have found two of them. I have one and the other I gave to a friend. old digger

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
old digger said:
Thanks for the comments. The abrader or shaft smoother are not easy to find. I have found two of them. I have one and the other I gave to a friend. old digger

An abrader like yours had a mate as they were made in matched pairs.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I know. The one that I gave away was not a match. It was found 50 miles from where the one shown was found, and was quite like the one in your photo. Kind of squarish.

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Great artifacts, I've not seem many from Montana. It's nice to be able to compare with what I find here in ND.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
real nice stuff
the points in 3rd and 4th pictures are very similar to the dakota points
it seems on average that the notches are shallower and slightly wider however
the two points on the upper left of the 4th image are nice examples of the Billings type which sometimes are found in the dakotas

Martingeetars

Dec 16, 2009
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice finds , I really like the red one in the 8th picture that looks like a guitar pick! Nice unifacial scraper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread