Moon shot

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I heard they are again postponing the moon shot. NASA's been planning to return to the moon for over 10yrs now. What's the problem? If they flew to the moon with 60's technology why the constant delays? Many feel the moon landings were all faked. I have no serious opinion either way. I'm not a space guy but what if all of a sudden GMC couldn't build a pickup truck?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NASA’s Space Launch System rocket, the Orion spacecraft and the associated lunar lander have all suffered significant delays. Those delays have come from a combination of: technical issues; pandemic-related disruption; legal obstacles created by objections from the losing bidders on some of the contracts; and Congress approval for the required funding for various elements of the project (which, needless to say, are over budget). They’re at least a year behind schedule, and couldn’t possibly be ready for the 2024 goal.

Most crucially, the mission is planned to use a higher protection “next-generation” spacesuit, which also won’t be ready until 2025 at the earliest. NASA have yet to receive a demonstration suit or take delivery of a suit for technical testing or any ‘qualification’ suits for ‘live’ testing with astronauts.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe NASA could get some Iraqi's to help with these problems. After all, Obama gave NASA directions to reach out to Muslims, as a major goal.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Putting the politics aside, I am truly fascinated by the psychology that drives conspiracy theories and how pseudo-science and falsehood can thrive despite massive amounts of proper evidence to the contrary. The Apollo landings are a classic case for which the suggestions of "hoax" are, in my opinion, disrespectful of what was a fantastic technological achievement requiring the skill and bravery of some remarkable people.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My recall of the 60s for "moon shot" was much different. My recall it referred to an individual bare bottomed bent over in front of someone. As far as government getting involved my recall was only local police sometimes responded:tongue3:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My recall of the 60s for "moon shot" was much different. My recall it referred to an individual bare bottomed bent over in front of someone. As far as government getting involved my recall was only local police sometimes responded:tongue3:

Ha that reminds me of some high school trips as a football team in a bus...moonshots were common in the 70's.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The issue is money to developing the systems needed to safely land a man and woman on the moon.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Please refer back to my initial post, 60's technology safely worked including the space suits, why the disconnect now? Money? Hell they give it away to people not to work to the tune of trillions, that can't be it. I didn't mention any conspiracy theories but I'm sure there are many. We "supposedly" landed on the moon in 1969 and subsequently several times after that. Why all the problems 50 years later?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please refer back to my initial post, 60's technology safely worked including the space suits, why the disconnect now? Money? Hell they give it away to people not to work to the tune of trillions, that can't be it. I didn't mention any conspiracy theories but I'm sure there are many. We "supposedly" landed on the moon in 1969 and subsequently several times after that. Why all the problems 50 years later?

Your exact words were "Many feel the moon landings were all faked", which by definition embraces the notion of a conspiracy theory.

I explained what is causing the delays in post #2 and I didn't make up those reasons. That's the explanation from NASA. It's not just about money.

The Artemis project to return to the moon is a completely different kettle of fish to the Apollo landings and returning using those original technologies couldn't achieve the new objectives. The plan is to explore more of the surface, stay for longer, test new technologies and establish a sustainable base which then opens up the possibility for using the moon as a "stepping stone" for a manned mission to Mars.

You can read the narrative for the mission objectives on the NASA site here:

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/artemis/

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is a much more ambitious plan than the early landings

The Artemis Plan (nasa.gov)

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
NASA’s Space Launch System rocket, the Orion spacecraft and the associated lunar lander have all suffered significant delays. Those delays have come from a combination of: technical issues; pandemic-related disruption; legal obstacles created by objections from the losing bidders on some of the contracts; and Congress approval for the required funding for various elements of the project (which, needless to say, are over budget). They’re at least a year behind schedule, and couldn’t possibly be ready for the 2024 goal.

Most crucially, the mission is planned to use a higher protection “next-generation” spacesuit, which also won’t be ready until 2025 at the earliest. NASA have yet to receive a demonstration suit or take delivery of a suit for technical testing or any ‘qualification’ suits for ‘live’ testing with astronauts.

This all sounds good to me, But my question is WHY did they announce the launch knowing full well they didn't have space suits???

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The idea of going back to the moon is exciting and I for one am pumped to see what’s found. Conspiracy theory to many seems ridiculous when taken on a case by case manner. In a great number of cases peoples imagination gets away from them and they reach to explain away things that don’t fit their beliefs. It’s also important to recognize that these days anyone who has grown untrusting of people in power is labeled as a conspiracy theorist when this is derogatory at best.

I have been fascinated by the human condition and real history for decades now. These two points of interest will uncover 100% factual evidence that throughout human existence people in power do horrible things to the masses in the name of science, power or just simple human greed or corruption.

Many people don’t trust the moon landings because it’s just another straw on the camels back. I for one think we landed on the moon, I can also completely understand how many people believe it’s BS. When the world we see is little more than a soup of truths and lies who is one to know which is which when true evidence is lacking?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This all sounds good to me, But my question is WHY did they announce the launch knowing full well they didn't have space suits???

The Artemis project had a long-standing objective to achieve the return to the moon by 2024. At the time that commitment was made, NASA knew full well what technology milestones would need to be achieved along the way. They factored in the kinds of contingencies you would expect from a project as complex as this, but project managers can't predict all of the possible disruptions, nor guarantee that a projected piece of equipment vital to success will meet all of its design criteria with the required timetable. Even now, without having prototype suits yet available for testing, the project could be further delayed. No-one could have predicted the impact that Covid has had on the ability of contractors to meet deadlines.

Also, from a budgetary point of view (something over which NASA don't have direct control), the approval and release of funds by Congress isn't always a straightforward process... especially when the project is over budget. Sometimes, the answer when you ask for more money is: "Yes... but you'll have to wait for it to come through".

BRC

Jun 24, 2011
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Sand Shark, At-Max, EquInox 800, Deus 2..
Nuff said

attachment.php

Attachments

• https _blogs-images.forbes.com_startswithabang_files_2018_12_584398main_M168353795RE_25cm_AP12_a.jpg
    https _blogs-images.forbes.com_startswithabang_files_2018_12_584398main_M168353795RE_25cm_AP12_a.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 84

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Somewhere I saw that the relatively current pricing of producing and launching each Saturn V rocket would now be around $1.25 billion dollars per launch. We launched 24 of them during the Apollo program. And I have zero doubt that we, as a nation, put men on the moon and got them back.

So, that's 30 billion dollars. For that we got Tang, Velcro and 850 lbs of rocks. But, sadly, as a species we either have to find more places to live or ugly, ugly times are ahead. The moon would just be the first weigh-station on the trip to better places.

But in truth, the dangers are so out ahead of the rewards, still, that it was almost insane the risks we put the Apollo crews through. It's astonishing that we only lost one crew.

With programs like OSIRIS that touched a comet we certainly have the ability to get there. With unmanned vehicles. It makes SO much more sense with current technology to send robots or autonomous vehicles. They require much less support and safety precautions.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somewhere I saw that the relatively current pricing of producing and launching each Saturn V rocket would now be around $1.25 billion dollars per launch. We launched 24 of them during the Apollo program. And I have zero doubt that we, as a nation, put men on the moon and got them back.

So, that's 30 billion dollars. For that we got Tang, Velcro and 850 lbs of rocks. But, sadly, as a species we either have to find more places to live or ugly, ugly times are ahead. The moon would just be the first weigh-station on the trip to better places.

But in truth, the dangers are so out ahead of the rewards, still, that it was almost insane the risks we put the Apollo crews through. It's astonishing that we only lost one crew.

With programs like OSIRIS that touched a comet we certainly have the ability to get there. With unmanned vehicles. It makes SO much more sense with current technology to send robots or autonomous vehicles. They require much less support and safety precautions.

There's much truth in what you say. But don't forget that (at least for Apollo 11) this was a race for prestige... and a race that America was not going to allow the Soviet Union to win.

I forget which astronaut said it (probably Buzz Aldrin) but I remember one of them commenting sardonically along the lines that the lives of the Apollo crews rested on the performance of a million components, all produced by the lowest bidder on a government contract.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread