Moonshine?!

Bizzo

Aug 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out bowfishing this evening with a buddy of mine. There's about a 30 minute window at sunset where you can't see in the water so we pulled up to a big gravel bar and decided to walk the recent flood areas to look for bottles. We got a somewhat old Jim beam bottle and a couple random bottles, nothing special. So by this time it was pretty much dark and we were walking back to the boat and I saw a little corner of a jar sticking out of the brush, so I picked it up and there was a brownish liquid in it. I showed it to my buddy and of course our first thought was moonshine, kind of jokingly though. So we opened it up and sure enough the alcohol smell hit us instantly.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454210497.655002.jpg

Anyone ever found any moonshine anywhere? I've always wanted to find a cache of it while metal detecting but I'm sure the jar lids would rust out pretty quick. Oh well, I can say I've found some now.

Upvote 1
Try to light it on fire see how potnt it is, I thgink I found an old still way back in the woodsI haventgone back to scollect some items but will soon. That is awesome if that's what it is.

I have a half full crock jug of Platte Valley shine that's at least 35 plus years old...look like water but has the punch that will scorch yur tonsils...

Platte Valley is legal shine with a federal stamp...

Yur canning bottle is probably typical...

Not sure if moonshine is still made for sale...maybe for personal use...

Be a good question to ask the ATF boys...

Last edited:
I know a lot of people that make and sell moonshine. I wish I could tell how old this is, but since the lid is hardly rusted I don't imagine it's very old. Probably someone left it on the river bank while camping and it got washed down in the floods. Honestly if someone is camping my area they're drinking moonshine and beer. It's pretty common here.

Drink it, see if it tastes a little "salty" :laughing7: If it's 'shine, it looks to be apple pie.

Alcohol has to be 100+ proof to burn in a spoon, between 75-100 proof, it will burn on a plate.

The shine around here is much clearer than that. It's probably flavored if that's what it is.

No moonshine... But being a full blooded Italian, I once found an old wine barrel in an abandoned house in my grandmothers neighborhood... Decided to pop the cork and see if it contained any of the good stuff (I was 13)... Found a box of blue tip matches near bye...

Long story short... I have a small bald spot on the top of my head... Blew the hat right off my head and sizzled most of the hair off my head...

I was actually very lucky... My parents still laugh about it anytime they are drinking homemade wine...

Good find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back