More California Coast Stuff, new photo added.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was taking some photos of my stone bowls, and in the process, rummaged around in some boxes of stuff I hadn't looked in for several years. I found a cigar box full of broken points and various chips, along with a couple of more items I found at Point Sal back in 1950/51 when it was an army post called "Camp Cook." My other post was titled "California coast points", and I think I made a mistake on a couple of those artifacts. The two photos below are those points that are in question.
[attach 1]
[attach 2]
When I framed those points, they were in the same cigar box as the stuff I found at Point Sal, but racking my brain, (it's been 60 years) for the life of me I can't remember finding them. I'd hate to claim them to be something they aren't, so I'm going to step up and say to consider those points as iffy, and because I can't remember finding them, I'm guessing they came from a relative, and I don't have a story on them, and I don't know how they got in the box with the Camp Cook stuff. That said, I did find a couple of more artifacts that I do remember finding at Point Sal.
[attach 3]
The first is this chopper (?) on the right of the photo. The brown flint type rock that the other artifacts are made from must be found close by, because the above chopper was made from a rounded beach cobble that no doubt came from a close by vein of the stuff. the next photo shows the artifact in my hand, so you can get an idea of the size.
[attach 4]
[attach 5]
In the picture, on the left of the chopper is what looks like a chunk of rock, but when you look at it close, it has a sharpened part, and fits the hand quite well, and I'd like to think it's some sort of a knife or cutting tool. At least that's what it looks like to me, and I'm sticking to it. Below the picture of the chopper in my hand, is a picture of the suspected cutting tool in my hand, again for size comparison, and to show how I think it was used. The photo below shows how sharp the knife part is.
[attach 6]

Attachments

• PointSal4.jpg
    PointSal4.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 259
  • PointSal5.jpg
    PointSal5.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 262
  • PointSal4.jpg
    PointSal4.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 253
  • PointSal5.jpg
    PointSal5.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 259
  • PointSal6.jpg
    PointSal6.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 255
  • PointSal9.jpg
    PointSal9.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 262
  • PointSal11.jpg
    PointSal11.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 261
  • PointSal12.jpg
    PointSal12.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 261
Upvote 0
Re: More California Coast Stuff.

You sure found some good stuff back then. Nice pics.

It does look like some kind of chopping tool you've got there, either that or possibly a core.

Re: More California Coast Stuff.

I'm adding another photo of the chopper, showing it's edge.

Attachments

• PointSal14.jpg
    PointSal14.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 194
Thank you for taking the time to photo/share these with us...funny how things get 'fuzzy' after +/- 60 years !!!
That huge rock looks quite sharp and could be a scary weapon...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back