What's new

.....More Coins and Relics found at 1789-Colonial Site -Geneseo NY.....New Pics

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
2,492
Reaction score
79
Golden Thread
0
Location
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been a number of sites that I have detected the past 5 years, this Geneseo site that was founded in 1789 had been a great place to hunt and had given up plenty of Great Finds! Today I decided to go back to the site in Geneseo and give it another go with the 15 inch Coil I had purchased a couple of months ago for my Minelab . Now when we first detected this area I had one of my best days detecting …..That day had produced 2 Colonial coppers (one Silver plated) 6 large cents ( 1802,1805) and 4 Coronet Type. Also a few nice old flat buttons. Plus an 1805 Draped Bust half Dime I had posted a while back here in Tnet.

So today when I got up I decided to go back and with the Detector and new coil in hand give it another try, most of the items here are very deep . With the day very cold and the wind chill in the teens, here in the open cow pasture Felt like mid December but with out all the snow..... I final got my first hit which was a flat button. Nothing big just a common so making my way around and not much noise in the head phones and the wind blowing like crazy I started to make my way back to where my vehicle was parked to warm up a bit. So what happened next !!!.. .. “BAM” It was a very nice hit and one we had missed in previous outings. It was a large cent and the Classic head type – No Date. Now that’s what I’m talking. So with a coin in hand I started feeling a little warmer and said to myself …(The Break can wait) . It might start raining again and will just have to leave. So I continued on and after a few hours I had another large cent this one a flowing hair type but the date is kinda worn 1802 would be a reach….So I continued on , and found a few more Buttons ( with back markings) will check those out later, along with a few other nice Relics!
P8260010 Large Web view.webp

So this has been a decent day considering that the rain has held off and the past month that’s all it has been doing! So it was nice just to get out!!! Below I‘m going to also share some of the other finds that I had found on this site over the past 2 years. Below are all the coins I found at this site including early King George coppers, Connecticut coppers(1787,1788) flowing hair large cents 1802's 1803's 1805's,1798,Bust half cent, 2 -cent pieces,coronet large cents , 2 IH's 1859,1864...Plus 1 Agricultural Token of some sort....
P8260020 Large Web view.webp

This pics below shows all the Flat buttons that were found at the site including the silver plated and gold gilt Buttons with a number of Back marks still readable with shanks intact......
P8260031 Large Web view.webp

Now the Relics found are always interesting.....The include some early Buckles, musket balls, 2 Spear points ( found while digging) some pewter pieces, copper items and the usual spoons, rings and of course the Lead pieces!!! ;)

P8260026 Large Web view.webp

I figure since I have the case down and taken apart ....its a good time to organize it for the new additions that were found!
P8260036 Large Web view.webp

Hope you enjoy the Coins and Relics...

John
 
Upvote 0
I'll be darn. That buckle you found in the first pic looks just like the one I found in Missouri last month.

suspender.jpg


What an awesome site you got going there. I wish my old home sites would produce like that !
 
I would think I died and gone to heaven if I found stuff like this. WOW

Burdie
 
Simply put, those finds are incredible. I am completely envious but in a good kind of way. Thanks so much for sharing - those pictures get the blood really pumping!
vG
 
jealous as always when I look at your awesome finds -- keep it up
 
Seeker...You forgot to show the Horseshoe....or is it still there.....Awesome dig's!!!
 
Very Nice!

HH
-GC
 
Seeker, that is outstanding! This reminds me of a 1790 site that I have researched and am currently seeking permission to detect.
 
That is just OUTSTANDING! I'm Jealous and you know where I am! Keep it up!
 
My goodness, what a great site to hunt and the finds are outstanding!!! Nice job and thanks for the post. HH, Mike
 
Re: .....More Coins and Relics found at 1789-Colonial Site -Geneseo NY.....New P

Man, I would be estatic with your recent finds. Can't imagine finding all the rest!!
Coins look in good shape too even if no dates. :) :)

I had a WOT coil and sold it. Might have to buy another one. It really only gave me about an extra inch in depth. But sometimes that's all it takes!

Bob
 
Seeker,

WOW! Seeing your pictures made my jaw drop. It must have been hard to leave the spot. You found 10 times more quality finds at this one site than I have found in the past three years. Yes I am green with jealousy. Once again congratulations and keep the finds coming.

Ed D.
 
More excellent finds from NY!! Woohoo!
 
Pretty nice collection but I was a little disappointed you didn't find more gold coins. Next year try a little harder. ::)

Badger
 
A couple of those large cents and one of the two cent pieces look to be in pretty good shape from the pic you gave. Got any close ups of those? What years are they?
 
After reading your post, I have now gone back to the closet and brought the suitcases back out...oh..and I didn't forget to pack the coat and gloves... ;D
So...I'll be looking for you at the airport. 8) Say...noonish tomorrow? ;D :D

SEEKER!
WoW!

You always have great stuff to post!!! Love it! OH...and thanks for the pics too!

Beautiful finds! Nana :)
 
Thats a beautiful collection you have there my friend. I spent some time on a beach this past saturday that was not quite in the teens but wasn't that far off. congrats and hh

dylan
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom